News CONFIRMED: Stevie J to play farewell game on Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the article and the quote with that info, Year of the Cat (he was one of only two forwards with those stats, btw):

The Herald Sun can reveal the 32-year-old is only one of two forwards in the game to average more than 20 disposals, one score assist and one goal per game this season.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-attacking-force/story-fni5f6yf-1227470095669

Further to that, there are some other stats that might interest posters here (date of article Aug 4th 2015)-

While Johnson’s output is clearly down on last season, the champion Cat has played only 23 per cent of his overall game time in the midfield in 2015, considerably less than 2014 (67 per cent) and 2013 (63 per cent).

In attack, the numbers show the eighth-placed Cats still lean heavily on Johnson to hit the scoreboard.

According to Champion Data, Johnson has been involved in 27.3 per cent of all of Geelong’s scores this season – ranked second at the club behind only captain Joel Selwood.

For a forward, he is ranked elite for disposals (20.4) and uncontested possessions, and above average for score involvements (6.3) and pressure acts (14.6).
Yep, if they dump him then those making the decision need to be sacked as its detrimental to our chances next year seeing we appear to be making another push for a flag. We have obviously learned nothing from the way we treated our great players in the 90s despite the club saying they would never make the same mistake again.

Everyone always says this and I can't for the life of me understand why. To me it seems manifestly obvious that the exact opposite is true.

I don't understand.

You'd prefer to see a sporting legend play on one last year and watch him struggle as his efforts are sabotaged by the body's inability to replicate the skills of times past, than see him leave the game nearer the peak of his powers?

Think this is the right move. Yes he has had a pretty good year compared to the other vets but i think his body is cooked. The end comes fast, 2016 could prove to be a struggle.

Our team is going to be so different next season, i expect a few more to follow, the era is finally coming to an end :(
Surely Bartel must go then too. Same age and been injured most of the season. Johnson has been out there and performing.

I don't understand.

You'd prefer to see a sporting legend play on one last year and watch him struggle as his efforts are sabotaged by the body's inability to replicate the skills of times past, than see him leave the game nearer the peak of his powers?
Yes. It took Stevie half the year to get going. How long next year if he stayed on? Its not just this year's form that the decision is based on, it's on the state of his body.

I don't understand.

For one we don't know that will happen and the player will always wonder whether he could of gone on leaving him with regret. Many sportsmen often try to come back when they retire at their peak and it's sad when they try. If he does go on and it turns out it was a year too long then atleast he will have no regrets and knows he got everything out of his career that he could get. He can be at peace with what he achieved knowing he was there too the end.

Everyone always says this and I can't for the life of me understand why. To me it seems manifestly obvious that the exact opposite is true.
How is it of benefit to the individual or the club to go again when clearly he isn't up to it physically for more than a hand full of games. Granted, he has been able to string together a few good passages here and there in the past 6 weeks, but a season isn't 6 weeks long.
Why some people here seem intent on wanting a team full of worn out blokes is beyond me.
Hypothetically, we could finish 6-12 again next year with either an old list, or a refreshed list with young guys getting some much needed game time.
You need to let it go man, the old brigade are done, and that's that!

Yes. It took Stevie half the year to get going. How long next year if he stayed on? Its not just this year's form that the decision is based on, it's on the state of his body.
Do you remember Enright in the first half of this season? My jaw dropped at seeing him get caught. Never seen that before. In the second half he started playing well.

For a forward, he is ranked elite for disposals (20.4) and uncontested possessions, and above average for score involvements (6.3) and pressure acts (14.6).

so we gotta find someone to replace those above stats plus 28 goals a game

silly move

Hasty call.

As much as the collective here thinks they know as much as the inner sanctum at the club the simple fact is we don't.

We have no information at all on how and why this decision might've been made.

If, as others have hypothesised, Stevie wanted 2 years then the decision makes sense.

Let's wait for all the facts to emerge before making judgement calls.

How is it of benefit to the individual or the club to go again when clearly he isn't up to it physically for more than a hand full of games. Granted, he has been able to string together a few good passages here and there in the past 6 weeks, but a season isn't 6 weeks long.
Why some people here seem intent on wanting a team full of worn out blokes is beyond me.
Hypothetically, we could finish 6-12 again next year with either an old list, or a refreshed list with young guys getting some much needed game time.
You need to let it go man, the old brigade are done, and that's that!

So you are saying no matter h9ow crap he plays we'd give him games.

That's just plain wrong. His first three full games were poor. He was then in our top 5 players in his next five full games with huge games against the pies and swans. Had a quiet patch of games after that and then came good again in the last five weeks. All players who miss the preseason have slow starts. johnsons was pretty standard in that regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For one we don't know that will happen and the player will always wonder whether he could of gone on leaving him with regret. Many sportsmen often try to come back when they retire at their peak and it's sad when they try. If he does go on and it turns out it was a year too long then atleast he will have no regrets and knows he got everything out of his career that he could get. He can be at peace with what he achieved knowing he was there too the end.

I understand what you're saying, but more often than not, and in hindsight, the athlete and fans alike would've preferred he / she stepped away that year earlier.

We don't know the reasons behind this call yet, but it may be that those responsible have determined that SJ can't contribute the fitness and intensity for the length of time required next year.

Or he might've demanded a 2 year extension.

Or it could be another factor.

Let's wait and see.

Hasty call.

As much as the collective here thinks they know as much as the inner sanctum at the club the simple fact is we don't.

We have no information at all on how and why this decision might've been made.

If, as others have hypothesised, Stevie wanted 2 years then the decision makes sense.

Let's wait for all the facts to emerge before making judgement calls.

all i know is what i see on gameday. and i think i see as well as the inner sanctum do on gameday

all i know is what i see on gameday. and i think i see as well as the inner sanctum do on gameday

Can't deny that, but we don't have any insight into their discussions behind closed doors, contract negotiations, medical reports, etc.

There could be any number of reasons this is happening, if true.

Who knows what is going on because no-one ever says. Johnson has ben one of our best players this year, best of the old and the young. We are not the only ones with old players but because we have had any ordinary year they are highlighted.
No Kelly or Johnson next year leaves us with less experience and less leadership on the ground. Bringing in stars from other teams is no guarantee for success.
Don't like the way this is being handled.

I don't like to answer a question with a question but, surely if he was retained on the list it would be to play him, yes? He was absolutely terrible in the first 3/4 of the year and he still got selected, why would that change?

i wouldnt say he was absolutely terrible
he wasnt as good as last year, 19 brownlow votes? but didnt spend as much time in the midfield

no matter what you thought of sj this year he still did more then mccarthy

Johnson is a victim of the modern game as much as anything. Defence (and structure) is valued over attack and kicking goals.

Presumably it was a choice between Bartel and Johnson for the last spot and they opted for Bartel.

I think it is unfortunate but I am prepared to give Scott the chance to build his own team and play the way he wants to play. I think he believes the older players were not able to play in his system.

There will be a lot more pressure on Scott and his coaching panel next year.

Well played Stevie, you were maddeningly frustrating, but often brilliant, and one of the most talented players with the ball in his hand the game has ever seen.

I don't like to answer a question with a question but, surely if he was retained on the list it would be to play him, yes? He was absolutely terrible in the first 3/4 of the year and he still got selected, why would that change?

That's simply untrue.
He had a quieter patch of 2 or 3 weeks in the middle of the season, but was otherwise very good all year.

no matter what you thought of sj this year he still did more then mccarthy
No argument there, I was unaware there was a comparison between the two.

I don't know what the trade and draft period will produce this year, and that excites me a lot more than the thought of watching our past stars fumble and struggle their way through another season.

The end comes for everyone, regardless of how many flags and medals you have. Unfortunate but true!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back