Traded Confirmed Trade: Tom Lee (GWS pre-selection), #24, #43 to St Kilda for #12

Remove this Banner Ad

This trade looks like another dud for the saints, and a really bad time when they are desperate for good kids as they have the worst kids in the AFL

How many games have you seen Nathan Wright and Tom Lee play? Seems a very good trade to those that have any idea.

When's the last time Cross played key forward?

It doesn't matter about the positions, it would be a stupid pick up for the dogs is what I'm saying. He wouldn't get a game in a rebuilding side. He's getting some games at St Kilda to get his milestone 200 and help the young guys. Then I'm afraid that's it for him

It doesn't matter about the positions, it would be a stupid pick up for the dogs is what I'm saying. He wouldn't get a game in a rebuilding side. He's getting some games at St Kilda to get his milestone 200 and help the young guys. Then I'm afraid that's it for him

Helping the young guys is what he would do and what is needed at the WB.

I might be missing the point here but the trade was Pick 12 (Kristian Jaksch) for Tom Lee, (24) Nathan Wright & (43) Josh Saunders. If I was St.Kilda I'd be very happy with that with Wright and Saunders already getting games and Lee would be a bonus. Jaksch may be good to in the long term but at this stage the Saints are way in front.

I might be missing the point here but the trade was Pick 12 (Kristian Jaksch) for Tom Lee, (24) Nathan Wright & (43) Josh Saunders. If I was St.Kilda I'd be very happy with that with Wright and Saunders already getting games and Lee would be a bonus. Jaksch may be good to in the long term but at this stage the Saints are way in front.

finally someone who sees the trade for what it is

lee was always going to be a dud this year. he really needs a full season and the pre season after that to get his body right and adjust to AFL football

wright is lock in our best 22 now (when fit and gametime managed). saunders playing very well and looks like a young gary ablett. he will take time but i think he will make it

finally someone who sees the trade for what it is

lee was always going to be a dud this year. he really needs a full season and the pre season after that to get his body right and adjust to AFL football

wright is lock in our best 22 now (when fit and gametime managed). saunders playing very well and looks like a young gary ablett. he will take time but i think he will make it

LOL

have you seen saunders play?
So he looks like the best player of the past 3 decades but he only "looks like he might make it"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So he looks like the best player of the past 3 decades but he only "looks like he might make it"

when did i say he would turn out like ablett

i just said he reminds me of a young ablett. he plays like him and moves like him. having said that if he turned out to be half the player ablett is i'd be absolutely over the moon

What's not to like? 194cm, really good mobility, quick for his height, has a terrific leap, has strong hands overhead, has genuinely excellent footskills for someone his height (or any height, really), is good below his knees, is team-oriented, apparently has good footy smarts and I hear really trains his ass off these days, which will give him every opportunity to succeed. Plus, he gets to learn off Roo for the next couple of years exactly how to play the sort of role that he looks really well suited to playing.

Still very happy with this trade for the long term, as all 3 of them (Lee, Wright and Saunders) showed something today (as they have at other times throughout the year, to varying degrees) and, as I said earlier, I believe Lee is not even close to full fitness at the moment, given the leg issues he's had, so anything we get from him at the moment is pretty much a bonus.

If they could somehow land Boyd by upgrading their pick they'll look good as a combo.
Agree, they would compliment each other perfectly, but don't forget Spencer White. Boyd close to goal, with White and Lee doing all the lead-up and back work and so on could be a very handy and damaging combo indeed.

This is why plenty on our board are suggesting the idea of trading McEvoy to GWS for pick one (not a straight swap, but maybe a package trade) so that long term we can hopefully have Hickey in the ruck and Boyd, White and Lee up forward, rather than one of Hickey or McEvoy up forward (when neither are particularly good there and Hickey in particular looks so much better suited in the ruck).

It would suck to lose Mac, especially since he's so highly regarded within the club, but I think that is a much better structural balance, especially if Boyd can pinch-hit in the ruck a bit and especially if we have Stanley down back, who can also pinch-hit in the ruck of course. Doubt we'd do it though and possibly for the best given Mac's standing in the team.

Considering the high price the Saints paid along with the fact he was mature age, you would have to say that Lee has been a poor choice.
Hardly set the world on fire in the VFL either.

Watched yesterday with interest and can see why the EXPERTS rate this kid so highly. Didnt realise how good his footskills where until yesterday. Serious talent.

Lee is looking good, but he will probably be little inconsistent for a year or two like most young forwards

Lee needs to mark the ball out in front and try to get more separation from his opponent. Seemed to struggle with his endurance which can be improved with another pre-season.

Did play on Watson who still has a question mark as an AFL defender.

After last years draft the Saints were bagged big time for that deal with GWS. Watters on 'On the Couch' early in the year was asked about the deal. Watters clarified the deal which had evidently been misunderstood. Watters said that besides Lee they also got Wright and Saunders who look like they will develop into fine players. He also said that Lee could take up to another 18 months to develop strength etc to play consistent footy. Anyway after the last 2 weeks Lee does look like he could develop into a good player within that timeframe - moves well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back