Toast Congratulations Matt Priddis - 2014 Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Frankly, I don't see it as cause for celebration that the award recognising the league's best player went to someone who is definitely not the league's best player, even if that player is an Eagle. I see it as the product of a flawed system that throws up an arbitrary winner.
Any system is going to be flawed and produce outliers. The Brownlow is hardly alone...

who cares, sometimes the best sporting moments are when a hard working player or team gets a win over the more talented
Was this 'one of the best sporting moments'?

Did we always clutch so needily at small victories?

How does that figure? THEY'RE the ones getting tagged, so Matt should be throwing out a thank you to them for his win tonight.

You could argue that Priddis needs to "step up" so they get free'd up.

You know this logic doesn't follow? Fyfe is rarely tagged, because Stephen Hill and Danyle Pearce. It's almost always the outside distributor that is tagged.

Other Examples of rarely tagged players who are their teams best player or one of:

- Jobe Watson
- Tom Rockliff
- Liberatore
- Boak/Ebert
- Thompson
- Josh Kennedy
- Selwood
- Lewis, Hodge

etc etc etc etc etc etc....

It's such a nauseating argument that keeps coming up.

Great performance from Priddis, thoroughly deserved and couldn't ask for a better individual. Non-establishment and doesn't desire to be.

I've spammed the other threads with why I feel he was a worthy winner, but I think the best part about his year was that he was actually damaging. Simpson has used him well and to his strengths, he's always had a tremendous work ethic and uncanny ability to find the ball and his distribution from the middle has been exceptional this year.

******* love Simmo, such a measured intellect, who has integrated himself into the team whilst paying due to his predecessor.

This has a lot to do with it. Less reliance on him for the in an under and could see that he had been told not to go in when we had guys already at the contest meaning he kept his space and got better ball because of it.

Matt Priddis having another medal doesn't in any way affect the on field performance of the West Coast Eagles. It's an accolade, for both him and in a way his teammates, to enjoy in what was an up and down season. It's a small piece of joy in what was a frustrating and dissapointing season. Personal opinions about Priddis shouldn't matter right now, people who wish to congratulate him can do so and people who wish to challenge that he was the best player in the comp (which he obviously wasn't for mine) can also do so. Is the system perfect? Absolutely not. I'm happy for him but I also feel in no way priddis deserved the Brownlow this year. Doesn't mean we can't be happy for the guy. Going on about him holding us back and "I wonder what this does for his trade value" can surely wait until tomorrow.

I guess what I'm getting at here is it seems as though you're unhappy Priddis won the medal, or at the least confused that posters on here are happy he won the medal. What's the harm in having a bit of joy in a shitty season, this affects nothing going forward so let's just enjoy it
He's part of the reason why we had a shitty season.

So who gives a s**t?

Have a lollipop to feel better.

I have no personal opinion of Priddis. I'm sure he's a nice bloke. Good luck to him. That doesn't mean I'm giddy with excitement over him being named the arbitrary winner of an award that, frankly, seem less relevant than ever after him winning it.

Doesn't mean we can't also acknowledge that his win is absolutely bloody pointless.

See above. You are acting like it matters when it doesn't.

Fine, it's pointless. Leave the moronic lemmings on this thread who are happy over a pointless medal to celebrate. The thread is titled 'Congratulations Matt Priddis' after all, I think you knew what you were in coming into. Leave us simpletons to our celebrations, and enjoy the view from up there.

He's part of the reason why we had a shitty season.
In your eyes, maybe. In my opinion we had 22 guys run out every week, so did 17 other clubs. Priddis did whatever he did to attract the attention of the umpires in an admittedly flawed system. He did it better than any other player in the comp. At the very least, it's clear Priddis jumped through the right hoops better than anyone else in the league. And good on him for it, someone's got to win it and you could do worse than having a player at your club win it every year.

Have a snickers Dargie
And
cup_of_shut_the_hell_up_mug.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether you want to declare him the best player or not, he was the most deserving in the sense that he was ahead of every other player as judged by the Brownlow's parameters.
Well, what does it mean to win the Brownlow? What is it meant to mean?

Does it only mean 'well done, you got the most votes'? Or is it meant to mean that the winner was in fact the league's best player that season?

Because if it's the latter, rather than the former, then no, Priddis was not a deserving winner. Sorry.

The AFLCA has different parameters, as does the MVP, as does the Eagles B&F, and so on. All could spit out very different results and the credibility of such awards are subjective.
OK, so it's all arbitrary and subjective.

If that's the case, surely that makes them all equally meaningless. Why not just pick a name out of the hat?

It's all subjective so why pretend that any of them are legitimate metrics for anything?

In your eyes, maybe. In my opinion we had 22 guys run out every week, so did 17 other clubs. Priddis did whatever he did to attract the attention of the umpires in an admittedly flawed system. He did it better than any other player in the comp. At the very least, it's clear Priddis jumped through the right hoops better than anyone else in the league. And good on him for it, someone's got to win it and you could do worse than having a player at your club win it every year.
I'm sorry, are we playing on the weekend? I have forgotten completely, please refresh my memory.

The Brownlow is particularly flawed.

How many 'outliers' have won the AFLPA MVP?

As a process of identifying the league's best player in any one season, that seems infinitely more legitimate than the Brownlow meat tray raffle.
Awesome selection criteria. Let's pick the player with the best reputation.

Players voting at the end of the season as opposed to every game. Players who would rarely see much of others outside of reviews. You might think Ariel Steinberg's opinion on the best player is a more credible, I'm not inclined to agree.

No but a wise man once told me to surround myself with positive people and distance yourself from negative.
Sounds like a recipe to surround yourself with Yes men.

Isn't that the criticism of the way our football department has been managed recently?

You know this logic doesn't follow? Fyfe is rarely tagged, because Stephen Hill and Danyle Pearce. It's almost always the outside distributor that is tagged.

Other Examples of rarely tagged players who are their teams best player or one of:

- Jobe Watson
- Tom Rockliff
- Liberatore
- Boak/Ebert
- Thompson
- Josh Kennedy
- Selwood
- Lewis, Hodge

etc etc etc etc etc etc....

It's such a nauseating argument that keeps coming up.

Do you watch football? Fyfe is tagged nearly every week.

And people can say what they want about Priddis - that was a very humble speech and it showed what a great person he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back