Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nth Melb who run a very tight ship still have running costs of $40 million

Richmond BTW had an income in 2019 of $92 million and a profit of $4.2 Million

So after the Tas Govt put in $8 million where does the rest come from if we take North as a starting point?

Memberships $6 Mill? 50,000 x $100 + ave Gate taking Sponsorships? $26 million needed to make up the $40 million

Last edited:
It is worth mentioning though that, much like Launceston would feed into the active supporter base of a Tasmanian based AFL team, the same argument is had for the Packers. Milwaukee is less than two hours away with a population of approx 2m and Madison which is approx 2.5hrs away with a population of approx 1m. The Packers are the closest team to these cities (slightly closer than the Bears), and represent the state of Wisconsin (unlike the Bears).

Not quite an apples for apples comparison, however an AFL team is obviously a much smaller beast to an NFL team.
Might point is in American terms the packers are still based in a very small low populated area when compared to the majority of the other nfl teams if I’m not mistaken they are also a community owned franchise no billionaire owner yet they have still consistently outperformed the hugely populated areas like New York Miami Dallas and majority of the other large franchises

Pretty obvious what gill wants will push hawthorn out string our government a long with some bullshit about maybe 2030 have Us bankroll north Melbourne in the meantime one less club for him to worry about buy 2030 he will be gone and there will be some a-hole like Travis auld in the ceo seat hopefully our government are not stupid enough to fall for it!
I think Tasmanian Brendon Gale is firming for the CEO role actually so there is hope.

I didn't find Gil's comments that controversial. The VFL team hasn't even began yet. I expected a few years of development before a team would be playing in the AFL.

Maybe a bit disheartening, but not unexpected.

So it was the media that built up expectation.?
Time Tas played hard ball, the Hawks & North want/need the Tas money as much as Tas wants AFL footy.
Put up or shut up.

Might point is in American terms the packers are still based in a very small low populated area when compared to the majority of the other nfl teams if I’m not mistaken they are also a community owned franchise no billionaire owner yet they have still consistently outperformed the hugely populated areas like New York Miami Dallas and majority of the other large franchises
Fair comment, and as I mentioned, an AFL team is a completely different beast to an NFL team.

So it was the media that built up expectation.?
Time Tas played hard ball, the Hawks & North want/need the Tas money as much as Tas wants AFL footy.
Put up or shut up.

I think the build up is regarding the reaction to the proposal that the taskforce is submitting. Even if it impresses and the wheels are set in motion, I was never expecting a team playing in the H&A season next year, or even the year after.

My impression was 2025.

My thoughts to.

Think that there will definitely be a Tassie team and it’s just a matter of when and with all the wording being not within 5 Years. Well sounds like 5 years will be it.
Gives time to set it up and make sure it’s done right with fan and government involvement.

Wasn’t around 5 years between announcement of the Giants and our 1st game?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Task Force report should become publicly available c. 4.30 today, at UTAS Stadium, Launceston.

Talks are currently occuring between Tas. Premier P. Gutwein & HFC Chairman J. Kennett, to whom he has provided the report.

It is planned to upgrade UTAS Stadium to c. 30,000.

Gutwein believes 2025 is a possible start date for the Tas.

Yet they indicated during the bid that they want to make it so it doesn't rely on government support,failed on that part it seems.
Who, & when, made this claim?
I have never seen it- can you provide the quote?

It was inevitable that, probably, permanent & significant govt. funding would be required for the Tas. team.

I suspect the AFL may advise the Tas. govt $8.5m pa is insufficient- & require more permanent govt. funding.

The club will be expected to generate revenues of c. minimum. $40m pa (2020 $). Private sponsorship of $12m pa+. Signage/beverages/food rights$?
50,000 membership (inc. Melb. members- average 10,000?- going to Tas. games in Melb.) & Tas. home gate ticket sales might be $7m pa (Hobart & Launny capacity is now c.20,000). In future, 2 x 30,000 stadia would greatly increase revenues- can Tas. generate strong corporate box & coterie group revenues?

Also means a 20th team should be on the horizon too.
Where will the 20th team be located, when & why?
This topic will dominate BF for c.15 years! 25k+ Comments, 1,000,000+ views?

Biggest issue is what to call them IMO. Tigers is a no go, Devils seems ok even if Melbourne are the Demons. We have Hawks and Eagles
I suspect Melb. FC will oppose Tas. "Devils" too close & "intrusive" on their Demons, if Tas. use a devil figure: but if the black devil marsupial, then fine.
Tassie Quolls? Tassie Bruisers? Tassie Hikers?

Would many Taswegian footy fans would accept standing Gil up, thanks for the review Gil, lets agree to review it at the end of the 2022 season, in the meantime the current arrangements will cease at the end of this season.
So no games in Tas in 2021 & 2022.
Interesting-and confrontational/risky.

I think Tasmanian Brendon Gale is firming for the CEO role actually so there is hope.
Ultimately, it's not about personalities, even though, obviously, B. Gale has a strong emotional attachment with Tasmania. The Commission will decide.

The 2 crucial issues;-
. Tas. team will not, generally, require any more AFL funding than other, smaller Melb. clubs: so strong financial case essential.
. Tas. can convince the AFL it can, within 5-10 years of having its own team, revive the fabled pantheon of AF champions, great players etc.; & average min. 5 Draft nos. pa., after team has been created

If Tas. can't produce a strong case on both these issues- but produce only an OK case- will the AFL be prepared to risk a major public backlash if it rejects/defers a decision on Tas. being the 19th team?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Task Force Report Public Release: Key Points

. Tas. govt. to contribute "up to $11m pa". ( I assume permanently).

. Initial set-up cost $45m- divided between Tas. govt., Fed. Govt, & AFL.

. Tas. Devils FC wishes to join AFL in 2025, & AFLW in 2024

. Macquarie Point new stadium to be roofed (30,000)

. Launny stadium to be upgraded to 27,000- & host the "blockbuster matches"

. on current trends, AF will cease to be the most popular sport in Tas. by 2030 (GR soccer & basketball are booming- both at record highs)- but their own team will fortify AF.

. If AFL licence is not granted, Tas. will no longer seek a VFL licence.

. HFC & NMFC Tas. govt. sponsorship is likely to be downgraded after 2021, as games are declining in popularity (ie noticeably smaller crowds)

Last edited:

. on current trends, AF will cease to be the most popular sport in Tas. by 2030 (GR soccer & basketball are booming- both at record highs)- but their own team will fortify AF.

. HFC & NMFC Tas. govt. sponsorship is likely to be downgraded after 2021, as games are declining in popularity (ie noticeably smaller crowds)

Underwrite does not mean contribute. It means underwrite, ;)

I hope this throws the rubbish idea of the Tassie VFL 'back to the future' team out the door. It was just another one of Gil's kick, can, road BS ideas. Or non ideas more like it.

Underwrite does not mean contribute. It means underwrite, ;)

I hope this throws the rubbish idea of the Tassie VFL 'back to the future' team out the door. It was just another one of Gil's kick, can, road BS ideas. Or non ideas more like it.
Good old gill would make a great used car salesmen I actually preferred demitrio at least he was a strait up arse hole gill is just a joke

If Tas. can't produce a strong case on both these issues- but produce only an OK case- will the AFL be prepared to risk a major public backlash if it rejects/defers a decision on Tas. being the 19th team?

The AFL is not dinkum, Gil & Co are playing the Taswegian public off the break. Happy to take their money for a couple of games, but give short shrift to the footy public.

Sadly very predictable.

The ABC report: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-07/afl-report-of-business-case-for-tasmanian-team/11943862

Worth a read, no paywall.

Is not excessive the $20mil plus given to GC, GWS, Brisbane & StKilda?

No idea....That's the point.

Maybe they think $50M isn't excessive...

BTW...except for St Kilda, that's an investment in growing the market and is expected to shrink over time...Something that doesn't apply with Tas, when the money required will only grow.

Given that money is already spent on AFL footy?

Except it isn't.

The money is (supposedly) spend on encouraging economic activity, largely through tourism, both by creating 'events' to bring in tourists and advertising...it's not a gift to the AFL. If Tas gets their own team, then that justification dries up (the events/games will be there anyway after all).

Also, this would be the only team that requires massive government funding in order to even be viable....Do you really think that's a good idea? What happens when there is a new government that decides that's not a good use of government money? (maybe after the feds look at GST distributions and decide that Tas spending some of their extra money on that is excessive and cut their funding).

What happens then? Does the AFL shut the club down?

Is not excessive the $20mil plus given to GC, GWS, Brisbane & StKilda?

The difference is that government funding is obviously subject to the whims of the government at the time. New government gets elected and suddenly the whole operation is a basketcase. And lets be honest, Tassie is as susceptible to the "muh hospitals" crowd as much as anywhere. There'd be a fair bit of political mileage in blaming every problem in the state on the millions going to pay rich footballers.

You can bet your life that the AFL would push for a long term iron clad funding deal in place.

They're the only team in a state of 6 million people. It'd be like a team in Geelong if Melbourne had no team.

It's a terrible analogy for any Australian sporting team.

They're the only team in a state of 6 million people. It'd be like a team in Geelong if Melbourne had no team.

It's a terrible analogy for any Australian sporting team.
I don’t think you know a great deal about it going buy your comment the cost of running a nfl franchise is huge 6 million people spread out over a whole state is tiny in American terms when compared New York having 19 million like I said they are also a community owned franchise no billionaire owner yet they consistently outperform the larger teams being but please continue to bring up anything your garbage trying to discredit a tad team your like pippen on this thread

I don’t think you know a great deal about it going buy your comment the cost of running a nfl franchise is huge 6 million people spread out over a whole state is tiny in American terms when compared New York having 19 million like I said they are also a community owned franchise no billionaire owner yet they consistently outperform the larger teams being but please continue to bring up anything your garbage trying to discredit a tad team your like pippen on this thread

I'm not trying to discredit the team, i'm just pointing out that it's nothing like any situation in Australian sport, let alone a prospective Tassie team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back