Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You never say no. Just open negotiations. Its called politics.

The whole issue is rapidly becoming a farce. Disappointing to say the least.

Fair point, but they should have said a very firm no to that proposal/requirement.
As I said, be clear they were open to building/upgrade grounds, sure, but nothing nearly as expensive as this.

Come back with $200-250M for new Hobart + Launceston upgrade, and be prepared to get talked up to around $300M. For both.

Where did yo read it would be released to the public on Friday?
I think Fargo may be in the know ;)
Steve Brule Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Where did yo read it would be released to the public on Friday?
I think Fargo may be in the know ;)
Steve Brule Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I may be going crazy, but I just read the article again and the Friday release has been removed and replaced by the following:

TASMANIA’S business case for an AFL team has gone to the Federal Government and Premier Jeremy Rockliff aims to catch up with Prime Minister Anthony Albanese in the next few days to get his response and seek funding for the Macquarie Point Stadium.

The business case is expected to be released to the public some time after that meeting, and Tasmanian football fans and AFL followers Australia-wide will see why the AFL Commission has backed it, as well as most of the club presidents.

I am confused between prior reporting that the Government will be making a formal infrastructure funding request for a Mac Point Stadium and current reporting of what appears to be provision of the “business case” for an AFL team to Canberra pollies, simply because the end point of the AFL application is that based on negotiations between the AFL and the Tas Government a future is now 100% dependant on a Mac Point Stadium.

If I understand correctly the AFL team business case may be referenced by the infrastructure funding request and there may be significant overlap between the 2 in regard to content, but my take is that the Tas Government want Albanese and key government stakeholders on board ahead of a formal infrastructure funding request being lodged, or to smooth the waters if the infrastructure request has already been lodged.

Release of the AFL team business case would be welcome but may not necessarily clarify some of the items of concern of some on the board regarding key details such as roof design etc.

I think for now, in the absence of any firm belief or proof one way or the other I will take a view that
(i) by necessity the final stadium proposal will end up being suited to multiple uses (including cricket)
(ii) the Feds will buy the State Governments argument that enough event content can be attracted (beyond 7 AFL games) to justify Federal investment in a stadium
(iii) the Feds won’t buy into political pressure brought from State Labour, Wilkie or others

I would expect it may be months before it moves ahead, but hopefully a Yes/No regarding Federal funds doesn’t take an eternity.

I am confused between prior reporting that the Government will be making a formal infrastructure funding request for a Mac Point Stadium and current reporting of what appears to be provision of the “business case” for an AFL team to Canberra pollies, simply because the end point of the AFL application is that based on negotiations between the AFL and the Tas Government a future is now 100% dependant on a Mac Point Stadium.

If I understand correctly the AFL team business case may be referenced by the infrastructure funding request and there may be significant overlap between the 2 in regard to content, but my take is that the Tas Government want Albanese and key government stakeholders on board ahead of a formal infrastructure funding request being lodged, or to smooth the waters if the infrastructure request has already been lodged.

Release of the AFL team business case would be welcome but may not necessarily clarify some of the items of concern of some on the board regarding key details such as roof design etc.

I think for now, in the absence of any firm belief or proof one way or the other I will take a view that
(i) by necessity the final stadium proposal will end up being suited to multiple uses (including cricket)
(ii) the Feds will buy the State Governments argument that enough event content can be attracted (beyond 7 AFL games) to justify Federal investment in a stadium
(iii) the Feds won’t buy into political pressure brought from State Labour, Wilkie or others

I would expect it may be months before it moves ahead, but hopefully a Yes/No regarding Federal funds doesn’t take an eternity.
In order to accurately assess the merits of the stadium I think it needs to be acknowledged that without it there will be no AFL team.

Therefore all the benefits provided by having an AFL team are also benefits of having a stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In order to accurately assess the merits of the stadium I think it needs to be acknowledged that without it there will be no AFL team.

Therefore all the benefits provided by having an AFL team are also benefits of having a stadium.
Yes, but the dialogue from the Feds is that they don't accept that the team should be dependant on the stadium, therefore they may not include that as being a benefit of the stadium.

Last edited:
I can't believe how our best chance of getting a team has come down to whether we get a stadium or not. I honestly see it being a long time before we get a team if we are unsuccessful this time and it will probably mean the end of all football from lower up to higher leagues in this state,it will be a sad thing to see for sure.

Yes, but the dialogue from the Feds is that they don't accept that the team should be dependant on the stadium, therefore they may not include that as being a benefit of the stadium.
To my recollection McLachlan said Tasmania's entry into the AFL was contingent on the Tas. State Govt committing to building a stadium but this didn't mean the stadium had to be completed prior to the teams entry into the AFL.

Clearly to future proof the financial viability of an AFL team in Tas. they must have the same level of playing, training, spectator and corporate facilities as every other club.

The Federal government stating that the team shouldn't be dependent on a new stadium either reflects their naivety in understanding the requirements of successfully running an elite , professional sporting competition or they just don't want to cough up or both.

There are many community and business organizations way beyond the AFL who would benefit from such a facility . For the Federal Government not to be a contributor will steadily erode their credibility as time goes on.

To my recollection McLachlan said Tasmania's entry into the AFL was contingent on the Tas. State Govt committing to building a stadium but this didn't mean the stadium had to be completed prior to the teams entry into the AFL.

Clearly to future proof the financial viability of an AFL team in Tas. they must have the same level of playing, training, spectator and corporate facilities as every other club.

The Federal government stating that the team shouldn't be dependent on a new stadium either reflects their naivety in understanding the requirements of successfully running an elite , professional sporting competition or they just don't want to cough up or both.

There are many community and business organizations way beyond the AFL who would benefit from such a facility . For the Federal Government not to be a contributor will steadily erode their credibility as time goes on.
I think it a fair position that a Tas team should not be contingent on a $750m stadium. Pound for pound, it will be the best stadium in Australia. Their point is that not other new team has required than level of government funding. WC shared to mediocre stadiums for a while, Footy Park was 30 years old in the 1990s, Showgrounds is a refurb, Carrara is a cheap build. $750m is over the top and everyone knows it.

It was the Federal Sports Minister who made those comments. Have a look at the background of Anika Wells and I think that will confirm your suspicions about naivety. I hope I’m wrong, but on first impressions, she’s the last type of person that I’d want making these decisions as I doubt a former compensation lawyer from Brisbane has the best interests of Tasmanian footy at heart.

I think it a fair position that a Tas team should not be contingent on a $750m stadium. Pound for pound, it will be the best stadium in Australia. Their point is that not other new team has required than level of government funding. WC shared to mediocre stadiums for a while, Footy Park was 30 years old in the 1990s, Showgrounds is a refurb, Carrara is a cheap build. $750m is over the top and everyone knows it.
Sell out Blunstone for the first few seasons and then people will be more accepting of a new stadium.

The difference being, Blundstone Arena is a second-rate stadium that is also incapable of being meaningfully redeveloped due to its location. It was perhaps sufficient to host a FIFO team and a few cricket games over the past few decades, but it’s not up to being the main home ground for a Tassie AFL team.

Having a redeveloped UTAS as the main home ground is also unpractical since the club will be based in Hobart. It’s 2022 and players have high expectations. Does anyone seriously think young AFL players are going to put up with a 2.5 hr bus ride for most of the their home games (in Launnie) and then hop on a plane every second week for their away games? They would lose more players than GC and GWS combined.

The state government is now paying for the short-sighted decisions of the past. They should never have developed BA as Hobart’s main stadium when there were better options on the table like the Showgrounds. Now it’s a necessity to develop a world-class stadium and unfortunately no one wants to foot the bill for it. It’s becoming a very depressing and embarrassing situation.

The difference being, Blundstone Arena is a second-rate stadium that is also incapable of being meaningfully redeveloped due to its location. It was perhaps sufficient to host a FIFO team and a few cricket games over the past few decades, but it’s not up to being the main home ground for a Tassie AFL team.

Having a redeveloped UTAS as the main home ground is also unpractical since the club will be based in Hobart. It’s 2022 and players have high expectations. Does anyone seriously think young AFL players are going to put up with a 2.5 hr bus ride for most of the their home games (in Launnie) and then hop on a plane every second week for their away games? They would lose more players than GC and GWS combined.

The state government is now paying for the short-sighted decisions of the past. They should never have developed BA as Hobart’s main stadium when there were better options on the table like the Showgrounds. Now it’s a necessity to develop a world-class stadium and unfortunately no one wants to foot the bill for it. It’s becoming a very depressing and embarrassing situation.
That all fine, but it does not justify the AFL is mandating a $750m stadium when half that would still build the best sub 30k stadium in Australia.

It was the Federal Sports Minister who made those comments. Have a look at the background of Anika Wells and I think that will confirm your suspicions about naivety. I hope I’m wrong, but on first impressions, she’s the last type of person that I’d want making these decisions as I doubt a former compensation lawyer from Brisbane has the best interests of Tasmanian footy at heart.

Very interesting no sports at all in her bio. What sports did she participate in at the College. On checking the College they have a variety of sports -The only Football code is Soccer which can be typical of a non heartland State college.
Some people would say does it matter, more likely she is a Labor Faction appointment.
Finally the Minister is about to learn who the big boys are and where they are in Aussie Sport very quickly, and their not in QLD.

Am i right in my understanding that all of Tas Labor, Tas Greens, Andrew Wilkie, and all 3 Tas Fed Liberal Members have stated their opposition to funding the Stadium?

If this is so, then what pressure have Fed Labor got on them to fund this ahead of hospitals, infrastructure etc?

I fully understand the power of AFL/Sports lobbying, but the opposition to this Stadium funding is overwhelming isn't it. The Tas public also are largely against it over spending on other things(hospitals etc) in surveys aren't they.

It really seems to be a Gutwein/Rockliff vanity project that for public relations reasons the AFL got dragged along into.

Gonna be interesting how it plays out.

Very interesting no sports at all in her bio. What sports did she participate in at the College. On checking the College they have a variety of sports -The only Football code is Soccer which can be typical of a non heartland State college.
Some people would say does it matter, more likely she is a Labor Faction appointment.
Finally the Minister is about to learn who the big boys are and where they are in Aussie Sport very quickly, and their not in QLD.
Agree 100% she is a very poor choice as Sports Minister and it a had to be a factional one!I'm a Labor man and I had never heard of her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back