Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who inhabits the outer AFL world I am wondering what minimum crowd size the ground in Tassie should be for the new club. Would 30,000 cover it. Also would the AFL Admin have a big say in that as part of the deal.
The new ground is going to hold 23,000

As someone who inhabits the outer AFL world I am wondering what minimum crowd size the ground in Tassie should be for the new club. Would 30,000 cover it. Also would the AFL Admin have a big say in that as part of the deal.
You must be on the very outer limits of the AFL world. The AFL has demanded a 23K roofed stadium on the harbour. Cost is $715M. Tas government has agreed and is contributing more than half. Just waiting on Federal funding which is likely but may not be confirmed until May. Until there is funding, things are at a standstill.

New Zealand the only place it could ever really be possible, and that's only if they build a new oval stadium in Auckland such as the seemingly abandoned Western Springs proposal.

They'd have cricket also using a ground of that size/shape, so they'd have a reason to build it.
I would suggest that IF a new Oval Stadium is to be built in Auckland and the AFL suggest a AFL club playing out of it i would think that the government who built it would ask for a sizeable amount from the AFL or a considerable rent, in my opinion.

I would suggest that IF a new Oval Stadium is to be built in Auckland and the AFL suggest a AFL club playing out of it i would think that the government who built it would ask for a sizeable amount from the AFL or a considerable rent, in my opinion.
It wouldn’t be the worst option to allow a team like St. Kilda a joint home-game partnership with New Zealand, which would include 9x Melbourne home games, 2x Auckland home games & 1x Christchurch/Wellington home game, as well as creating a pathway scheme for players in New Zealand to increase the player depth and pool of the AFL competitions for both counterparts in 15-20 years (min).

It wouldn’t be the worst option to allow a team like St. Kilda a joint home-game partnership with New Zealand, which would include 9x Melbourne home games, 2x Auckland home games & 1x Christchurch/Wellington home game, as well as creating a pathway scheme for players in New Zealand to increase the player depth and pool of the AFL competitions for both counterparts in 15-20 years (min).
In my opinion it would be how much money the AFL would be prepared TO PAY FOR A NEW OVAL on rent or construction to use it.
No OVERSEAS government is going to be friendly towards the AFL as governments here are.

Word if the CFMEU is pushing for big wage rises (etc). Mostly due to inflation, but no doubt there is an element of them taking advantage of being a powerful union with an ALP (federal) government.

No doubt they wont be the only ones jacking up their prices.

So factor in recent inflation, and the cost of this stadium would likely be pushing $800M now, and it doesn't seem like it'll stop there.

Word if the CFMEU is pushing for big wage rises (etc). Mostly due to inflation, but no doubt there is an element of them taking advantage of being a powerful union with an ALP (federal) government.

So factor in recent inflation, and the cost of this stadium would likely be pushing $800M now, and it doesn't seem like it'll stop there.
The stadium costing already factors in inflation.

Wrong again it was budgeted with this in mind over 10% buffer going buy there report

You must be on the very outer limits of the AFL world. The AFL has demanded a 23K roofed stadium on the harbour. Cost is $715M. Tas government has agreed and is contributing more than half. Just waiting on Federal funding which is likely but may not be confirmed until May. Until there is funding, things are at a standstill.
That is the first concise clear answer I have seen in all of the many threads on this topic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is the first concise clear answer I have seen in all of the many threads on this topic.
accuse the hunchback of notre dame GIF

To those who say the AFL were dragged kicking and screaming into the Tassie expansion, when do you think the AFL planned on doing their next expansion if Tassie hadn’t forced their hand?
Outside of a very strong push from Tassie there's no real appetite for expansion.

If not for Tassie we would have 18 teams for a while yet, at least until GC/GWS could stand on their own two feet — and that may never happen.

OK. That is a new plan - going ahead without federal funding. Assume the project has been scaled down and the expansion to 27K has been scrapped, as the other $65M (from the Feds) is supposed to cover a new indoor arena for basketball. If so, AFL will be 23K in Hobart and a tick over 20K in Launceston.

Hopefully the new stand is closer in to the boundary than the old one.

Outside of a very strong push from Tassie there's no real appetite for expansion.

If not for Tassie we would have 18 teams for a while yet, at least until GC/GWS could stand on their own two feet — and that may never happen.
No reason why it can’t stay at 19 teams for as long as it needs to then. I mean I don’t think Canberra next decade would be a risky investment for a 20th team but the AFL might not share that view.

But the same could be said of WA3, that’s definitely not a guaranteed lay up. At least with either of these options it isn’t a now or never situation so they don’t have to rush but they probably will.

I think if the Suns and Giants expansion weren’t back to back it might have faired better.

OK. That is a new plan - going ahead without federal funding. Assume the project has been scaled down and the expansion to 27K has been scrapped, as the other $65M (from the Feds) is supposed to cover a new indoor arena for basketball. If so, AFL will be 23K in Hobart and a tick over 20K in Launceston.

Hopefully the new stand is closer in to the boundary than the old one.
That’s just the first stage it’s still planned to be 27k there still seeking funding from the federal government which will come as they won’t fund Hobart without Launceston the state government getting the ball rolling puts the pressure back on the federal government and afl I suppose. I recon they already have promise’s otherwise they wouldn’t have extended the fifo deals buy two years

No reason why it can’t stay at 19 teams for as long as it needs to then. I mean I don’t think Canberra next decade would be a risky investment for a 20th team but the AFL might not share that view.

But the same could be said of WA3, that’s definitely not a guaranteed lay up. At least with either of these options it isn’t a now or never situation so they don’t have to rush but they probably will.

I think if the Suns and Giants expansion weren’t back to back it might have faired better.
I think there will be a twentieth team within ten years of Tasmania entering it makes no sense to stay at 19 the Tasmanian team pretty much pays for itself adding twenty gives the extra game each week which more then covers the cost

That’s just the first stage it’s still planned to be 27k there still seeking funding from the federal government which will come as they won’t fund Hobart without Launceston the state government getting the ball rolling puts the pressure back on the federal government and afl I suppose. I recon they already have promise’s otherwise they wouldn’t have extended the fifo deals buy two years
Doubt it - has that been mentioned anywhere today? The original proposal for $135m included a new eastern stand, with movable stands for rectangular sports and 7k extra seats, plus the 5k Indoor basketball stadium next door. With building costs up 30% - 50% since that was floated, reckon that will be it for the stadium. Where/how would you put another 6500 seats if the eastern stand is already done? The renders show a more simple, single tier stand, with no room for expansion or moveable stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back