Contender for worst umpiring decision of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
In what was a shocking game of football, that wasn't helped by the bad umpiring we saw what I believe is a very serious contender for worst decision of the year.

Late in the 3rd quart Clarke took on Dawes, tried to push him off, but Dawes tackle stuck. Clarke then with a free arm holding the ball lobed it onto the ground. Play stopped with the players momentarily believing the free kick had been paid, but it wasn't. When players are stopping for a free kick that isn't paid you know it is a shocking decision not to blow the whistle.

My only thought in favour of the umpires is that they had become so frustrated watching the game, they were instead thinking why aren't I out on a golf course of doing something to enjoy a beautiful winter's day rather than here watching this crap.

I would try and look for the footage but if the AFL knows what is good for the game they will of banned any repoduction of the match in any form for the benefit of everyone.

In what was a shocking game of football, that wasn't helped by the bad umpiring we saw what I believe is a very serious contender for worst decision of the year.

Late in the 3rd quart Clarke took on Dawes, tried to push him off, but Dawes tackle stuck. Clarke then with a free arm holding the ball lobed it onto the ground. Play stopped with the players momentarily believing the free kick had been paid, but it wasn't. When players are stopping for a free kick that isn't paid you know it is a shocking decision not to blow the whistle.

My only thought in favour of the umpires is that they had become so frustrated watching the game, they were instead thinking why aren't I out on a golf course of doing something to enjoy a beautiful winter's day rather than here watching this crap.

I would try and look for the footage but if the AFL knows what is good for the game they will of banned any repoduction of the match in any form for the benefit of everyone.

Pendlebury has that move mastered. He now goes to ground with the ball raises it above his head and its play on.

You mustn't have watched the Freo v Carlton game. Let's see there was the free kick for a Carlton player taking out his own teammate. The Crowley push in the back despite not being anywhere near the guys back. And don't forget the Crowley deliberate out of bounds for a ball that he fumbled a mark on.

Surely that deliberate rushed behind that was payed earlier in the year already has the worst umpiring decision wrapped up.

There actually was a couple of free kicks that were payed by the players and not the umpires this weekend !! Strange phenomenon that is occurring more often.

You mustn't have watched North vs Geelong.

The one against Harvey off the ball, for pushing someone with an open palm in the chest was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in the history of the game.

Oh wow that was bad. Shocking game and shockingly umpired and if anything maybe Melbourne got the rub of it at some stages but your post being a Brisbane supporter declaring it should've been a free against Brisbane sure does highlight just how bad it was!

It was prior opportunity and a throw! All of all the holding the ball calls either way this one surely took the cake.

The only excuse could be that the ump was blindsighted. But isn't that why we have 3 umps?

Harvey pushed a Geelong player (whose name escapes me at the moment) in the chest and gave away a free.

Read the rules.

If a player is tackled and loses control of the ball it's play on.

If a player is tackled and loses control of the ball by dropping the ball it can be holding the ball or incorrect disposal.

Conclusion: Knocked out of the tackle is a stupid rule.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were probably trying to even up some of the umpiring from the first half tbh. Whole game was terribly played and adjudicated, we probably got the worst individual decision against us but Brisbane got far worse treatment over all.

If a player is tackled and loses control of the ball it's play on.

If a player is tackled and loses control of the ball by dropping the ball it can be holding the ball or incorrect disposal.

Conclusion: Knocked out of the tackle is a stupid rule.

So players picks up the ball and tackled immediately ( no prior) and pinned by the arms and the balls drops...you want a free kick to the tackler?

If that's the case why the F would you pick it up with your opponent on your ass, what will happen is every one will stand off waiting for the opposition player to pick it up then tackle them and get a free.... Ridiculous...

Go back to your playing days.... If you played and put your self in that position

You mustn't have watched North vs Geelong.

The one against Harvey off the ball, for pushing someone with an open palm in the chest was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in the history of the game.
Yes. The umpire invented a rule in his own head before deciding to implement it. Puerile rubbish. The Daw 50m was also ludicrously soft.

Yes. The umpire invented a rule in his own head before deciding to implement it. Puerile rubbish. The Daw 50m was also ludicrously soft.
Absolutely no sympathy for Boohoomer Harvey (aka filthy lying little piece of crap). But that could still never override this laughable type of "look at me" umpiring decision. I went looking in the rules of the game where it stated that a free will be paid because contact was "too hard". Only reference found was that all umpires wishing to use such ruling shall be banished back to the state leagues for 6 weeks for being such a d!ckhead.

So players picks up the ball and tackled immediately ( no prior) and pinned by the arms and the balls drops...you want a free kick to the tackler?

If that's the case why the F would you pick it up with your opponent on your ass, what will happen is every one will stand off waiting for the opposition player to pick it up then tackle them and get a free.... Ridiculous...

Go back to your playing days.... If you played and put your self in that position

So why does prior get removed suddenly?

The Monfries non holding the ball call v Essendon...my vote for worst decision of the year.

Yeah the Harvey one is diabolical as well.

Marc Murphy push in the back v West Coast is right up there too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back