Contingency plans being put into place

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESSENDON could get special dispensation to recruit state-league players from around Australia under a drugs suspension doomsday scenario.

The AFL and the Bombers have had talks about a contingency plan if players are suspended for taking performance-enhancing drugs.

If adopted, the Bombers would have access to non-AFL listed players to help field a team next year.

The players could be sourced from the VFL, the SANFL, the WAFL and state leagues of Tasmania, NSW and Queensland.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

ESSENDON could get special dispensation to recruit state-league players from around Australia under a drugs suspension doomsday scenario.

The AFL and the Bombers have had talks about a contingency plan if players are suspended for taking performance-enhancing drugs.

If adopted, the Bombers would have access to non-AFL listed players to help field a team next year.

The players could be sourced from the VFL, the SANFL, the WAFL and state leagues of Tasmania, NSW and Queensland.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
But the players are going to get off. ASADA have nothing. Essendon are too big to get penalized. The AFL will take care of it. :eek:

In the event that multiple players get suspensions, surely the club that ran the programme should be suspended.
It has happened in cycling.

And yes the AFL will suffer financially if this were to happen. They have already suffered as a result of this scandal.
I would prefer if another club, that is not called Essendon, played in place of the suspended club. Then they could be given all the short term concessions to make them competitive. Clean Essendon players could play for the other club, plus players from the other AFL or lower league clubs on secondment.
And when Essendon return to play in the league, it would be like South Sydney returning to the NRL, more passion than ever.

Hmmm get Port Melbourne to play in their place......or Norwood, West Perth. I'd like Claremont myself.......Claremont from two years ago.

Looking forward to The Recruit - Season 2: EFC edition.

I had a similar thought.

I think it would be exciting to see a few games where state-league level players are being relied on to get a team out on the paddock.

I think everyone accepts now that in all likelihood the players will get off, but the worst case scenario is that a few games are missed.

ASADA, which will prosecute the case against the players when it begins proper, argued open hearings could open witnesses to potential defamation actions, which would mean witnesses might not wish to co-operate with the tribunal.

:D - Charter is worried about what happens when Dank's lawyers get hold of his bullshit.

I had a similar thought.

I think it would be exciting to see a few games where state-league level players are being relied on to get a team out on the paddock.

I think everyone accepts now that in all likelihood the players will get off, but the worst case scenario is that a few games are missed.

Who is this everyone of which you speak?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The unusually high turnover of footballers on Essendon's list since 2012 would suggest they've been making their own preparations for the doomsday scenario.

I think it's fewer than 20 of their drug cheats from 2012 who remain on their list

Essendon basically knew they were in the s**t back in August/September 2012 when the people in the media had the story (presumably leaked by one of the feds) and the Bombers were making legal threats to anyone who dared to publish the truth about the ACC's findings.

Here's a list of current players whom Essendon have added since the 2012 trade week:
  1. Paul Chapman - 179cm, 87kg, 271 games
  2. Brendon Goddard - 189cm, 93kg, 247 games
  3. Adam Cooney - 186cm, 87kg, 219 games
  4. James Gwilt - 188cm, 94kg, 126 games
  5. Jonathan Giles - 201cm, 101kg, 51 games
  6. Joe Daniher - 201cm, 90kg, 26 games
  7. Zach Merrett - 183cm, 85kg, 20 games
  8. Nick Kommer - 185cm, 78kg, 19 games
  9. Patrick Ambrose - 193cm, 90kg, 16 games (rookie list)
  10. Shaun Edwards - 190cm, 83kg, 12 games
  11. Martin Gleeson - 186cm, 69kg, 9 games
  12. Alex Browne - 187cm, 85kg, 8 games
  13. Elliott Kavanagh - 185cm, 75kg, 7 games
  14. Nick O'Brien - 188cm, 91kg, 5 games
  15. Jason Ashby - 187cm, 77kg, 5 games
  16. Lauchlan Dalgleish - 185cm, 77kg, 3 games
  17. Orazio Fantasia - 177cm, 70kg, 3 games
  18. Ariel Steinberg - 191cm, 86kg, 3 games (rookie list)
  19. Will Hams - 180cm, 71kg, 2 games
Plus they've got 7 selections in the upcoming National Draft. I think they can only use 3 or 4 of those picks, but I could be wrong about that.

I don't know anything about half of those guys, but it looks like they might be able to cobble a team together with those 19 players, plus another 7 or 8 mature-age ring-ins loaned out by the VFL clubs.

The Essendon drug cheats should receive 2 year bans, but with the AFL doling out the punishment, it would be a surprise to see any of them banned for anything longer than 12 months.

They'll probably collect the wooden spoon, but I can't see them being rewarded with the first pick. I expect the other AFL clubs will be up in arms if Essendon aren't banned from the first 2-3 rounds of the 2015 draft. And so they should be. Essendon's draft penalties were far too soft given what they've done - the 2013 & 2014 draft penalties were based on the issue of "poor governance" - not the use of PEDs. There should be further draft penalties, IMO.

Last edited:
I had a similar thought.

That's the way it's looking. I think the penny is starting to drop.

Wow.

I figured you were delusional before, but.....Wow.

o_O What are Essendon going to do? Create their own league? Join the NFL?

LOL, remember last year when they were genuinely talking about doing this?

Until the other clubs whacked them hard.

The Irish league? If you see Hirdy sniffing around the int Test match that's why....They could teach Chappy, Goddard and Cooney the river dance

That's never going to work. Chappy would twinge a hammy and Cooney's knee would go. Then BJ would insist on thumping his chest every time he did something he liked, even though hand movements are verboten in Irish dancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back