Contract , delisting & draft news & discussion part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Contract , delisting & draft news & discussion.

Spoke to my inside source last night:

1. If Mundy and Warnock not signed by now, then very likely they will be going. Warnock apparently asking for very big dollars because very few Vic clubs have decent genuine ruckman. e.g. Collingwood, Carlton.

2. This year's draft is very deep. However, we may need to trade for younger players.

3. Whatever happens, members will need to keep the faith because we are 2-3 years away from having major impact.

1. If Mundy and Warnock not signed by now, then very likely they will be going. Warnock apparently asking for very big dollars because very few Vic clubs have decent genuine ruckman. e.g. Collingwood, Carlton.

This is the best possible outcome if he wants to go...Carlton may be able to come up with a couple fo second round picks for the big fella to give Kruezer a hand...Cameron cloke is only a filler and Hampson???

We do have so many average players, it's disheartening.

You know that average means where most of the data is?

So over 22 teams 800 odd players or whatever it is most of them are going to be average by definition.

It's how you get those average guys playing together and getting lucky with a few freaks like Buddy, Gablett, Pav.

You know that average means where most of the data is?

So over 22 teams 800 odd players or whatever it is most of them are going to be average by definition.

It's how you get those average guys playing together and getting lucky with a few freaks like Buddy, Gablett, Pav.

let's take everything literally now...

How about we have so many players who are not AFL standard it's disheartening?

2. This year's draft is very deep. However, we may need to trade for younger players.

3. Whatever happens, members will need to keep the faith because we are 2-3 years away from having major impact.
Yep, if we lose both Warnock and Mundy then we'll definately be 2-3 years away. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, if we lose both Warnock and Mundy then we'll definately be 2-3 years away. :(

Warnock would be a big loss but Mundy I think we can cover. I reckon Duffield can step up and take up Mundy's place in the midfield. The best option to cover Warnock's loss will be to get a mature age ruckman as a backup to Sandilainds.

So roughly:
2 mature agers.
2 bottom agers.
3-4 regulation picks (depending on trades for picks, players and potentially delistings in Murphy and Browne).

So in essence, with Webster and Browne gone who are basically wasted roster spots, it almost becomes a regulation draft.

I don't get that justification. Most drafts include bottom age or sized players (such as Warnock or Ibbotson), so I just see them as regulation picks. The obsession with all new draftees getting games in their first year is stupid. And every year players who have not come good such as Webster and Browne (such as Dunn) get delisted, assuming the recruiters think that pick 60+ is going to give better value. They are not wasted roster spots, just the way lists go.

And every year players who have not come good such as Webster and Browne (such as Dunn) get delisted, assuming the recruiters think that pick 60+ is going to give better value. They are not wasted roster spots, just the way lists go.
Hey?

Those 3 should have been phased out previously. You only keep injury prone players on if they are exceptional talents - and Dunn was the first to be phased out last year.

And given none could get on the park, that is 3 wasted roster spots, without a question.

I'd say you could just about add BOB to that group as well, and the reason he's only been given 1 year, which is the correct thing to do with injury prone players - unlike Dunn.

Latest list development with Warnock heading home...

Gorn...
MCarr - retired
Bellie - retired
Macca - retired (rookie list)
Black - retired
MaJohnson - retired
Webster - retired
JCarr - trade
Farmer - retired
Dunn- delisted (rookie list)
Warnock - trade

Solomon
Murphy
Mundy
Bradley
Browne

Peake
MiJohnson
Grover
Hayden
Drum
Ibbotson
Crowley
Schammer
Dodd
Gilmore
Campbell
Headland
Hase
Foster
O'Brien
Head

Tarrant
Sandi
Pav
McPharlin
Palmer
Hinkley
Mayne
Duffield
Thornton

Rookies
Smith
Connelly
Pratt
Mourish

Geeze......I can't see too many more delistings being made, we have 10 gone already and it might be 11 if mundy wants to go

My friend was playing poker at Burswood this morning and was seated next to Brett Peake.

Peake was asked by someone else at the table about what Peake personally was doing next year to which he replied....

"I don't know, might go play on the gold coast... haha.... nah I don't know"

Doesn't mean much, but take into consideration I had heard within the club a week or so back that Peake wanted out. I don't really understand why he would answer 'I don't know' considering he is contracted for next year if he wanted to stay.

Maybe I making too much of this.

:confused:

The Gold Coast don't come in until 2011. Peake will be lucky if he's still playing AFL after 2009 when his contract expires. I guess maybe he thinks his 'talents' are more suited to TAC Cup and VFL (and I'd have to agree with him) or the QAFL (which is probably right, even TAC Cup and VFL are probably beyond him).

I am 99% positive he was joking about the gold coast, but if you read between the lines perhaps one could assume that he thinks a move is on the cards.

I'm crossing everything I've got that summerthebat was onto something and it's Brett Peake.

What is wrong with these players?

I'd say they're not coping with Harv's disipline and expectations after a few years of being looked after by Cuddles :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back