List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Below is from the Herald Sun article (https://archive.md/WfDFu) this morning:

1711496450566.png

We can't technically re-sign Harley until after round 6 as he was a top 20 pick as he has a mandatory contract until the end of 2026 (21 years old).

Wouldn't it be phenomenal to announce a five year extension on the Monday morning after round 6. Even averaged out at $1mil a year over 5 years, that would see him through to 2031 (26 years old).
$800k
$900k
$1mil
$1.1mil
$1.2mil

Not only to lock him in for the team but the contract would also help silence some of the on-going media talk of him wanting to go home, Particularly grubs like McClure, Lyon, Ralph etc., and just let Harley play football.

Below is from the Herald Sun article (https://archive.md/WfDFu) this morning:

View attachment 1940779

We can't technically re-sign Harley until after round 6 as he was a top 20 pick as he has a mandatory contract until the end of 2026 (21 years old).

Wouldn't it be phenomenal to announce a five year extension on the Monday morning after round 6. Even averaged out at $1mil a year over 5 years, that would see him through to 2031 (26 years old).
$800k
$900k
$1mil
$1.1mil
$1.2mil

Not only to lock him in for the team but the contract would also help silence some of the on-going media talk of him wanting to go home, Particularly grubs like McClure, Lyon, Ralph etc., and just let Harley play football.

Give him 8 years. Imagine the look on McClure’s face.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No need to panic on a contract extension for Harley until next year

Makes absolute sense for him to wait until then

I’d only be concerned if we going into 2026 (his last year under contract) without having him locked away beyond then

There's more water under the bridge. I've got a vision for Harley

Sheezle was sent in leadership group year 2.

Harley should definitely be considered a lock

Year 2: Leadership group
Year 3: Tom B is our vice captain and he's going to be 31. Harley lives with Captain Oscar. I see no reason there can't be a Vice Captain handover to Harley.

I mean that's a big sell. Vice captaincy and money for Harley. Almost poetic

No need to panic on a contract extension for Harley until next year

Makes absolute sense for him to wait until then

I’d only be concerned if we going into 2026 (his last year under contract) without having him locked away beyond then

Even then I don’t think it’s likely Harley re-signs until the 2026 season is underway.

Harley strikes me as someone who backs himself in and I reckon he thinks he can get a better deal than the one above if he waits, especially with cap increasing by 30% over coming years.

Harley would want to be confident that the club is on the upswing and there is a future that includes on field success before committing beyond his initial contract.

It makes all the sense in the world to wait and see, and makes little sense to sign before he needs to.

There's more water under the bridge. I've got a vision for Harley

Sheezle was sent in leadership group year 2.

Harley should definitely be considered a lock

Year 2: Leadership group
Year 3: Tom B is our vice captain and he's going to be 31. Harley lives with Captain Oscar. I see no reason there can't be a Vice Captain handover to Harley.

I mean that's a big sell. Vice captaincy and money for Harley. Almost poetic

Let the kid be a kid and just play footy with his mates.

No leadership role until year 4 at the earliest, and even then it’s just leadership Group, not vc or captain.

What I would love to see is West Coast offering Gulden 2M a year and drag a decent player in his prime away from Sydney, that would be a karmaic event right there.
Gulden requires a trade would it not, he isnt RFA?

$1.5 likely gets Warner.
When does Warner become RFA? if it requires picks then no.

**My bad, I always thought RFA was after 6 years and UFA was after 8 years.

Let the kid be a kid and just play footy with his mates.

No leadership role until year 4 at the earliest, and even then it’s just leadership Group, not vc or captain.
North had Sheezle in leadership year 2.

Yes giving a young Victorian captaincy is a faillproof move
Well judd felt the need to get us a good deal according to him in the trade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gulden requires a trade would it not, he isnt RFA?

When does Warner become RFA? if it requires picks then no.

Warner is a free agent in 2027.

If he comes home it’s either this year or next.

Ryan Daniels and Xavier were saying that there’s a 25% chance he leaves Sydney.

Why not enter the race for him just cos he’s not a FA yet and let him go to Freo without putting our hat in the ring. Makes no sense to me.

Warner is a free agent in 2027.

If he comes home it’s either this year or next.

Ryan Daniels and Xavier were saying that there’s a 25% chance he leaves Sydney.

Why not enter the race for him just cos he’s not a FA yet and let him go to Freo without putting our hat in the ring. Makes no sense to me.
Personally I think the timing is off.

Sydney will ask for the world, and instead picking up (FOS,SD,Smith/Smillie) We'll likely need to split the pick and find something to add to it. I would be voting no.

Unless AFL gives us a North Package and we use that to lighten the trade.

Personally I think the timing is off.

Sydney will ask for the world, and instead picking up (FOS,SD,Smith/Smillie) We'll likely need to split the pick and find something to add to it. I would be voting no.

Unless AFL gives us a North Package and we use that to lighten the trade.

If you said to me you can either have Warner or O’Sullivan, Smith or Draper in 2025 I’m taking Warner every day of the week.

Perfect age group. Has 50+ games under his belt and is a known quantity of AA quality.

It takes out all the risk and development time.

No brainer.

It will interesting to how GCS handle their cap.

King, Lukoscious, Anderson and Rowell.

2026 - If we offer Walters the same money as Harley we might have a chance?

We should be in Walters ear right now.

Offer him the #17 and a long deal like Port did with JHF.

I would happily part with pick 1 to get Walter who I think would be a great partner for Oscar.

In all the talk about recruiting it’s an unknown how players value success versus financial security. (Only the very very lucky get both.)
It’s a very small percentage that get a flag or even get to a GF. And I’m guessing the majority don’t even play finals. Plus relatively few have long careers.

I don’t have any answers I’m just wondering how it affects recruiting. Apparently Geelong don’t pay their champs overs but instead offer success and lifestyle.

I’m just curious as to whether the Eagles can offer something unique or creative that may entice more players to put up with the constant travel (which must be a definite negative for us)?

For example, as we’re the wealthiest club can we assure players that if they come to us that we will use our contacts to create a very very substantial financial portfolio (beyond their payments)? I’m assuming all clubs help with investment advice but can we go way beyond the average?

Or … ?

Or … ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back