List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
Now the season is over, it’s time to rollover this thread but this time we’re going to have a go at splitting the discussion between contract/trades and potential draftees

This is due to the high volume of posts that can make keeping up with discussion difficult

Want to delist the entire squad, make crazy 4-way trade scenarios then this is the place for you.

If you want to discuss the merits or otherwise of potential draftees then there’ll be a separate thread for that as well as a (locked) thread for actual news as it comes to hand

Also, if you want to delist or trade someone, please look at the contracts thread (link to follow) to see if they’re contracted before you post. Thanks

Link to contract status of all players -

This thread is for discussion on all the potential draftees, their relative merits or otherwise, who you’d like to take and why

Please try to keep this thread free of potential trades or delistings and keep it focused on the 2022 draft cohort

Go here List Mgmt. - Contract and trade discussion - 2022 off season edition

to discuss broader list management or trade issues

Ben Long Played an absolute cracker of a game yesterday. Career-best by a long way.

27 disposals (@96% DE)
17 marks
13 intercept possessions
11 contested possessions
8 rebound 50’s
7 intercept marks
5 contested marks
3 ‘hanger’ type marks
1 goal
Just 1 turnover
133 SuperCoach points

Was the sort of game he’s threatened to play, but never put together before.

Can play either end. Hope we don’t lose him if that’s any sort of sign of things to come.

OOC and in an age group we are lacking,only 25. Long is a good ground level player, prepared to get 'dirt under the finger nails', composed under presure with hands, flexible and hard at it. A bit of mongrel as well.

A Mitch Robertson type with a little more class.

A bit of family for Junior and his family to hang with as well.

Would not cost much especially with pick 2 in the PSD. A pretty decent Nelson upgrade.

Last edited:
donpyke92 said:
Sincere question for knowledgeable folks....how good is Robertson?
Gets a lot of airplay on here.
The Barometer Matheison selected before him.
Aint knocking the idea of getting him, just interested in thoughts.
Get a little triggered of doubts recruiting a player that can't get senior games...but open minded
Briztoon probably knows more than us and can be trusted to be accurate as opposed to thinking he's actually doing a live trade, "I want your first pick and Darling".

There's lots of talk but don't confuse that with people thinking he's definitely the next Cripps. There's a lot of talk because;

1. He has potential. Probably end up a Redden/Stenglein type, could end up a Josh Kennedy type, or could be a bust. People think #38 is fair and that represents a good risk for us
2. He's young and will be a big bodied mid. We need to start building a collection of options to give us the best chance of finding the players we need.
3. He can't get a game at Brisbane. This is not unusual for a new comer to find it hard to break into a settled team in a flag window. It's not like he can't get a game at Adelaide or Hawthorn etc. It could very well be that Fagan thinks he's a dud and he is a dud. But worth a punt.
4. He's a WA boy and I'd assume the Eagles have talked to him or are talking to him. He just looks like a likely target and get.
5. He dominated on the weekend in the 2's albeit against a super s**t team. We don't know if he can do that at AFL level but I'm happy to pay #38 to see the cards.

Last edited:
Pick 38 is plenty for Robertson. Brisbane can huff and puff about 'potential' all they want but they have not developed him. A handful of games with a lot as sub over 3 years doesn't scream development and potential.

He can't get a game over Mitch Robinson_ and Rhys Matheison.

Is he actually worth going after? Is he a significant improvement on XON, Clarke, West etc?

Anyone got any intel on this prospect? Sounds like he’s mostly been running around in the colts but the Matera comparison is exciting. Might give our midfield a point of difference

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 38 is plenty for Robertson. Brisbane can huff and puff about 'potential' all they want but they have not developed him. A handful of games with a lot as sub over 3 years doesn't scream development and potential.

He can't get a game over Mitch Robinson_ and Rhys Matheison.

Is he actually worth going after? Is he a significant improvement on XON, Clarke, West etc?

Pick 38 might be reasonable but reality is that Robertson is contracted so Brisbane are under no obligation to trade him. The onus is on WCE to offer something Brisbane will accept and we need to be willing to walk away if they want too much

Personally I think it will more likely require pick 26, with maybe something coming back

Pick 38 might be reasonable but reality is that Robertson is contracted so Brisbane are under no obligation to trade him. The onus is on WCE to offer something Brisbane will accept and we need to be willing to walk away if they want too much

Personally I think it will more likely require pick 26, with maybe something coming back

I agree but I think the best offer might be 38 + a future third. Yes and before people have a go at me and say it's more points I can guarantee you that pretty much any club in the league would prefer pick 26. If we are into robertson it could be a 3 way trade with one of gold coasts late seconds going to brisbane as well for out future third to GC.

I agree but I think the best offer might be 38 + a future third. Yes and before people have a go at me and say it's more points I can guarantee you that pretty much any club in the league would prefer pick 26. If we are into robertson it could be a 3 way trade with one of gold coasts late seconds going to brisbane as well for out future third to GC.
Agree 26 would be too much.
Dev asking to leave the Lions due to lack of opportunity is completely different to leaving for extra cash.

Contracts are two way, Robertson would have a very very strong argument to say I want out. I've done everything asked of me and producing great numbers in the reserves and I'm continually overlooked so I'm seeking opportunity elsewhere and I think you should honor my request due to lack of opportunity.

In a situation like this, the club should do the right thing by him. They can make a strong pitch for increased opportunity in future years, but in reality if they were really serious about him being a major part of their future he would've played more games this year...
The club does have him under contract, and yes they can hold him to it but once a player really wants out, it's silly to hold them there.

Based on the amount of games he's played overall and this season, 38 is very generous.

OOC and in an age group we are lacking,only 25. Long is a good ground level player, prepared to get 'dirt under the finger nails', composed under presure with hands, flexible and hard at it. A bit of mongrel as well.

A Mitch Robertson type with a little more class.

A bit of family for Junior and his family to hang with as well.

Would not cost much especially with pick 2 in the PSD. A pretty decent Nelson upgrade.
You can say "only 25" or you can say "25, and only played a handful of good games in his career."

Really not the type we should be going for.

Pick 26, likely going to get moved back a few spots after F/S and FA compo anyway, is totally fine for a player of Robertson's ilk.

It's not what I'd be leading with, I'd start with 38 and go from there.

He's looked good at AFL level when he's played, he dominates the seconds regularly. Dominates. Something absolutely none of our depth do at WAFL level. We don't have goal kicking midfielders at any level, we've got minimal players of his age bracket at the club, an age where he should be just kicking into gear now.

I tend to get on board picks and the draft more than anyone but I'd take Dev every day of the week over whatever lottery is thrown up with that pick (26)

Roughly pick 30 in a weak draft, or WA's former captain, Larke Medalist, prime aged midfielder who's ticking all the boxes as a trade target.

Highly rated Junior :whitecheck:
Not getting a game :whitecheck:
Producing excellent games in the twos :whitecheck:
Gets played out of position :whitecheck:
Often played as the sub :whitecheck:
Disgruntled (apparently) :whitecheck:

Get on board. Give what we got to give for him and move on knowing we've locked away at the very least a solid player for years to come. Something we certainly cannot guarantee with pick 26.

Essentially getting him for free, just from moving back 2 draft spots last year so Port could select Sinn. Had we known that at the time we'd all be pretty chuffed.

Pick 26, likely going to get moved back a few spots after F/S and FA compo anyway, is totally fine for a player of Robertson's ilk.

It's not what I'd be leading with, I'd start with 38 and go from there.

He's looked good at AFL level when he's played, he dominates the seconds regularly. Dominates. Something absolutely none of our depth do at WAFL level. We don't have goal kicking midfielders at any level, we've got minimal players of his age bracket at the club, an age where he should be just kicking into gear now.

I tend to get on board picks and the draft more than anyone but I'd take Dev every day of the week over whatever lottery is thrown up with that pick (26)

Roughly pick 30 in a weak draft, or WA's former captain, Larke Medalist, prime aged midfielder who's ticking all the boxes as a trade target.

Highly rated Junior :whitecheck:
Not getting a game :whitecheck:
Producing excellent games in the twos :whitecheck:
Gets played out of position :whitecheck:
Often played as the sub :whitecheck:
Disgruntled (apparently) :whitecheck:

Get on board. Give what we got to give for him and move on knowing we've locked away at the very least a solid player for years to come. Something we certainly cannot guarantee with pick 26.

Essentially getting him for free, just from moving back 2 draft spots last year so Port could select Sinn. Had we known that at the time we'd all be pretty chuffed.

This. Don’t overthink it. Just get good quality players in for reasonable prices. Robertson looks ready to step in and be a B22 mid. Sure, try for 38 and see if they bite, but if it’s 26 so be it. He’s 21 years old.

Pardon the intrusion.

There's more than a few similarities with Matt de Boer here.

We got rid of him way too early and regretted it. Both decent players with strong work ethics and great leadership. Players like him offer benefits far greater than the number of kicks they get each week, particularly if you intend on adding a bunch of young blokes to the list in the next few years.

If he's available for a mid 20s - late 30s pick, grab him and run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back