List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

TBH I think the whole premierships are built on defence still actually rings true but not in the way that most people think. From a coaching perspective and also how the umpires put the whistle away in major finals when you talk about defence winning premierships you aren't just talking about the back 6 on the field. You are talking 2 way running, hardness in the contest, at the man and the ability to win clearances as well.

I don't see a host of superstar inside mids in this draft however there are a lot of them and if can get 4 good bites at the cherry (including a potential trade) then I think if you account for one bust whether that be due to the player or injuries you need to allow for that. That would leave 3 and really you are hoping for 2 B+ players and one that takes his game to the next level. We have a fair amount of outside class on the list and will continue to do so, particularly with improvements in fitness.

Getting players who can at least break even in the stoppages allowing us to push and keep Kelly and Sheed on the wings will go a huge way to making those improvements. I already see one of those B+ players on our list and think he will be critically important on the inside in Culley. A lot of the time great young inside mids produce really good tackling numbers because they are second to the ball but still know where it's going. That's how I see Culley and he is going to be a physical beast. At 19 he is already able to stand up to a lot of inside work, has very, very good hands and with a little composure his kicking will be average at worst.

If you consider Sheed and Kelly can be around for our next challenge at the top in those outside roles (we also know they can take inside time and win clearances especially around the ground. Sheed is one of the best in the league at around the ground clearances) with the potential of Hough and Chesser to take those roles in their prime as Kelly and Sheed fall away we really are just short of inside and balanced mids as well as a ruck who can break even.

If we can add Phillipou or Hewett and then grab say Mackenzie as well as either Hustwaite/Ginbey (seems like the club is all over him) on top of Deven Robertson we have really ticked off that part of the rebuild in 1 draft.

Robertson is 185, Culley is 193, Hustwaite is 194, Mackenzie is 188, Hewett is 186, Phillipou is 192cm, Ginbey is 189cm. That's a big, strong midfield with Hewett having the ability to burst from stoppages and Phillipou seemingly having the pendles/sidebottom ability to make time slow down to make the right decision and execute as well as the great ability to go forward. Hustwaite has the elite ability to get the ball out to the right man and one of his strengths is kicking under pressure in close. I know if reporting is true the club is all over Ginbey but I consider him the weakest of the lot. Robertson is inside, outside and provides great leadership.

We are likely getting one of Hewett or Phillipou and one of Hustwaite or Ginbey as well as Robertson. We just need the extra pick for Mackenzie. Sure it's going to take 3-4 years of development but to me we already have most of the cream as well as the spine, we just need the midfield cake, a competitive ruck, 1 very solid HFF/Mid prospect who can impact around the ground and 1 true Key forward. The key forward may need to come from trade but there's the potential for guys to go later in this draft who can make the role their own particularly if Allen does become the star we hope.

If we don't target Barnett or Keeler there is a strong chance due to his year that Broadbent could even make the rookie draft and Max Knobel is certainly a rookie pick. If they were there I'd take both.

3-4 years from now that is the sort of midfield that is not going to get bullied on size, strength or positioning and outside of maybe Hewett they are all genuine hard bastards as well.
we-share-the-same-brain-dont-fight-it-adam-pally.gif

Big Pass for me.

Given the state of our list and the time needed to turn it into a contender, we shouldn't be looking at any player over 24 to trade in.

Besides, Feathers in His Cap, would ask too much by way of draft capital.

Acres is a free agent I think

Getting cleared out to make way for Jackson. So would only cost us cap space if we were to pursue it as Freo won't match a bid

Acres has been traded previously so not a FA

Delisted free agent maybe if he doesnt come to terms with Freo?

This is where it stems from

If it's a free hit I wouldn't say no, but if Freo want anything decent for him they might struggle for takers

How? He’s barely an AFL level player. Still annoyed at Nic letting him look like a good player in that 2019 Semi lol

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Um, what? At the game Ratugolea dominated while resting forward not while in the ruck. Ratugolea had 1 HO and no clearances for the game, Naitanui had 29 HOs and 7 clearances for the game. Naitanui had more HOs than every other player on the field combined. The impact of Ratugolea was purely down to Schofield and/or Barrass/McGovern not competing in the contested marks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Delisted free agent maybe if he doesnt come to terms with Freo?

This is where it stems from

If it's a free hit I wouldn't say no, but if Freo want anything decent for him they might struggle for takers

They’d have to actually delist him though, as it stands he’s simply out of contract so there’d need to be a trade

They’d have to actually delist him though, as it stands he’s simply out of contract so there’d need to be a trade

Well yeah, but if they can't come to terms on a new deal and no one offers anything in a trade then they are forced to delist him. He's then free to sign with whomever.

Eg Jarrod Brander last year

Be interesting to see if Dev Robertson gets a gig for a final given Rayner is out.
It's unlikely. And if we did, we'd probably park him in the forward 50 and ask him to play as a defensive forward.

I'm expecting another capitulation and for Richmond to roll us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's unlikely. And if we did, we'd probably park him in the forward 50 and ask him to play as a defensive forward.

I'm expecting another capitulation and for Richmond to roll us.

Haha

You might be spending a bit too much time here - it seems cynicism is contagious

Robertson the Brisbane version of Partington

Haha

You might be spending a bit too much time here - it seems cynicism is contagious

Robertson the Brisbane version of Partington
For Robertson to get a run, we would have to play Zorko in Rayners role, and bring Robertson in to the midfield, and that's just something fagan hasn't done for two years.

Far more likely we bring Cockatoo in, or Kai Lohman who is Heeney type.

Sincere question for knowledgeable folks....how good is Robertson?
Gets a lot of airplay on here.
The Barometer Matheison selected before him.
Aint knocking the idea of getting him, just interested in thoughts.
Get a little triggered of doubts recruiting a player that can't get senior games...but open minded

Um, what? At the game Ratugolea dominated while resting forward not while in the ruck. Ratugolea had 1 HO and no clearances for the game, Naitanui had 29 HOs and 7 clearances for the game. Naitanui had more HOs than every other player on the field combined. The impact of Ratugolea was purely down to Schofield and/or Barrass/McGovern not competing in the contested marks.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Nic didn’t track Ratugolea anywhere, go back and watch the game, Nic was incredibly lazy during it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back