List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Apart from the Chesser comment thats pretty spot on.

Smith, Draper or Smillie. Need another top 5 mid this draft.
Reckon the Kelly comment was absurdly harsh, he's been very consistent. He obviously came over expecting an entirely different scenario so it's a credit that you can't question his commitment in that time.

You wouldn't drafy a KPD in the top 10, because that player, or an equivalent player, will likely be available later, because clubs don't draft KPD players early.

Instead, draft a high quality mid or high quality forward early, because they will be gone later.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app
If we trade down with GCS or Freo then by the time we take our picks all are likely to be 10-22 based on current ladder and expected NGA match, let alone FA compo. This is a range very reasonable to be looking at KPP. I don’t think anyone expects us to take pick 4 to the draft and use it to select a KPD.

Lalor played school footy this week and kicked a lazy 7. He will be a watch like Draper and FOS that either haven’t played or played much this year. Looking forward to the National champs.
I only saw parts from Saturdays game, 2nd quarter he had some really good moments but looks like he wasn't that active for the rest of the game! He and FOS were quiet, both had played school footy the week before which would be a massive step up from that to top team in the VFL, and both coming back from injury.

Won't really get to see them now until champs, due to school footy.

I typically just post the F/S and academy kids to their club boards, but this was a BOG performance by Levi so some of you might be interested:

Levi won the possession count again for the Academy in game two and was named best on ground for his performance. Matched up against the mature Footscray mids he was tough and strong in both the stoppages and general contested situations around the ground showing that he's more than just an outside accumulator.

No. But it’s not really a like for like comparison.

Overall their youth are better. They also started drafting heavily two years before us.

Even if we take Harley out, I think we are ahead of where they were two years ago.
I'm still not convinced that the youth coming through at the eagles are going to reach great heights, exception of Reid obviously. Outside of the senior brigade of Duggan, Yeo, McGovern, Kelly, numbers wise, there's nothing to be particularly excited about. The drop off is huge. Ginbey isn't setting the world on fire, Chesser isnt impressing. Brockman looks miles off it. Hough and Maric are showing gimpses. Edwards looked ok too. Its the seniors that have been keeping us competitive.

Aside from Reid I honestly don't believe that any of the current line up will be playing in our next finals win.

I'm still not convinced that the youth coming through at the eagles are going to reach great heights, exception of Reid obviously. Outside of the senior brigade of Duggan, Yeo, McGovern, Kelly, numbers wise, there's nothing to be particularly excited about. The drop off is huge. Ginbey isn't setting the world on fire, Chesser isnt impressing. Brockman looks miles off it. Hough and Maric are showing gimpses. Edwards looked ok too. Its the seniors that have been keeping us competitive.

Aside from Reid I honestly don't believe that any of the current line up will be playing in our next finals win.
Some young players just take a little longer to put it all together. Ginbey is getting enough of the ball, showing enough intent and aggression, that I think he'll make it. He's had a pretty tough introduction, part of a losing team with a failing game plan, being expected to almost lead the midfield last year as a first-year player. Let's see how his development tracks now he's getting the support he should have been getting.

I think Hough looks a star in the making.

How many genuine stars(AA quality) do you think a finals quality team needs? Collingwood last year probably only had 5-6, Port last year only had 4-5.
If we count Reid, Allen, 1 of Hewett/Ginbey, plus one of the rest currently on the list, thats 4. 1-2 more and we are set.

What do you think those teams look like without those stars? they look very average, and most people would dismiss a lot of those players as spuds who will never make it, just like you are doing to the teenagers in their 1st/2nd years on our list.

You are dismissing teenagers way too soon.
Such a negative post lmao

If we trade down with GCS or Freo then by the time we take our picks all are likely to be 10-22 based on current ladder and expected NGA match, let alone FA compo. This is a range very reasonable to be looking at KPP. I don’t think anyone expects us to take pick 4 to the draft and use it to select a KPD.
Yeah.

But the post I was responding to posed the question, why wouldn't you take a KPD in the top 10. Eg. 4.

That's why, they will almost certainly be available in the 10-22 range if your desperate, and highly likely to be available in the 23 to 30s range.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

There are so many players that have had big careers at our club, that were viewed the same way at the start.

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jagga followed up his solid performance in game one with an excellent outing here. Not overawed by the size of the more mature Footscray players, Jagga cracked in hard all game to win contests and provided some polish on the outside.

Why would Gaff get $1m to retire 6 months before his contract runs out?

He on $800k and would have already been paid half that by mid year.
Pretty sure gaffs 6 year deal was back ended . He is on big coin this year

Also the poster trumpy was saying we should have retired gaff eg paid him out before the season started .

If gaff was to 'retire' before mid season it would be after negotiating his pay out in full

Jagga followed up his solid performance in game one with an excellent outing here. Not overawed by the size of the more mature Footscray players, Jagga cracked in hard all game to win contests and provided some polish on the outside.

Saw most of the game on Saturday, really like Jaggas game and also rated his Coburg game. He's back high on my wish list!

Saw most of the game on Saturday, really like Jaggas game and also rated his Coburg game. He's back high on my wish list!

There's no denying the player he is. I am just very worried about how developed he already is as a player and a lack of upside particularly with his small frame.

Great couple of games against men particularly off the bat but the step from where he is to being a leading midfielder at AFL level is huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no denying the player he is. I am just very worried about how developed he already is as a player and a lack of upside particularly with his small frame.

Great couple of games against men particularly off the bat but the step from where he is to being a leading midfielder at AFL level is huge.
He's been splitting his time at Talent League level and playing a lot in the forward line. I could see him being a bit like a Jade Gresham at the next level... whether you see that as a worthy investment for a top end pick or not.

He's been splitting his time at Talent League level and playing a lot in the forward line. I could see him being a bit like a Jade Gresham at the next level... whether you see that as a worthy investment for a top end pick or not.

I can't imagine any club would knowingly and willingly select a "Gresham" within single digits unless his cohort was poor which I'm not sure is the case here.

I can't imagine any club would knowingly and willingly select a "Gresham" within single digits unless his cohort was poor which I'm not sure is the case here.
But its worth repeating here that player comparisons are only used to suggest the "type" not the capacity. We normally say this to prevent people from expecting too much, but it works the other way as well. I'm not saying that he's Gresham, just that he could end up playing that kind of role. High half forward that pushes up and gets heavily involved in general play, conduit into the forward line, kicks a few goals.

Wasn't Chesser a HBF under 16? I thought that's what he was recruited for?

I got excited v Tossmantle, his shake n bake shimmy goal.

Looks like I was premature. Needs production numbers badly.

Hate to say it but I think it’s a pretty high likelihood Chesser is a bust. Might be he’s in a tough position on the wing but definitely needs some time in the WAFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Busslinger for our 2R pic like some have said is massive overs for someone who hasn't played a game yet. The club should have a crack but he's a 3rd round pic surely
I have a bit of an inside here, but kid is lucky to even be playing VFL, I wouldn't waste the list spot on him. Apologies for the intrusion, I'll back out now.

If this is so then we’re really really really up s**t creek.

We are sorting through our list. Hough, Reid, Hewett, Ginbey, Long, BWill all look okay. Bazzo, Maric, JWill, LEd, Chesser, Brockman, Culley possibly.

HEd, Jamo, JJ not so sure. Same for Witho, Rotham. And Sheed?

Then there’s the whole crop of the still untried - Rawlinson, Hall, Barnett, Livingstone, AReid, Johnston, Burgiel, Dewar, Baker etc. Realistically, we need one or two to be very good and a few to be better than adequate.

The Tas situation will presumably mean giving up one or two ‘not useless’ players. And it wouldn’t be surprising if they got more ongoing assistance. Thus our time is actually quite tight.

So if we are to return to contending we need to have a pretty good success rate with our current list. Plus future drafts. Plus U/FA. Plus trades. Plus MSD. Plus Irish even?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back