List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Need an inside accumulator imo not just an athlete.

Sheldrick fits that bill.

Jack Carroll can play outside also
Do we need somebody like that though? Collingwood dont have this person and they won the premiership last year, we won it in 2018 without one too.
If Ginbey can be in the Cripps mould, or Hewett in the Rozee mould, or Reid in the Petracca mould or some variation of this we will be fine. We still have our first pick this next draft which will likely be on a more outside mid, plus we have Hall who is in that mould of an accumulator.

BW might not ever be an amazing forward, all he needs to do is be a target and crash packs. We still have Allen plus at least one of Maric or Waterman long term. I think a lot of people are overestimating how good a backup ruck needs to be while in the forward line.

The difference he makes is when he goes into the ruck vs the opponent number 2 ruck.

TB might be open to a move, but then we have nobody to play on the opponent number 1 forwards for a year, leaving us heavily undermanned. Id rather keep him and not get whatever pick to protect whichever KPDs we have coming along. HEdwards if he wasnt so injury prone might have been the guy, but we need someone to do his role, and Gov, Buss or Bazzo cant do it.
This depends largely on our confidence of acquiring the KPDs I mentioned (or others). Very happy to rookie HEdwards (unless he has a good season and deserves an extension to stay on the main list) for 2025 and tell Jamo he has one year to show he deserves persisting with in the event that a good trade for TB became available. Look what happened when we told Gov he was unfit and threw him into the backline after he came back from his holiday. I think the club has been a bit short sighted with some list decisions (like after the Kelly trade clearly wasn’t going to deliver another flag). I hope we’ve learnt from that and we’re thinking what the list looks like in 2026/2027 even if that means more pain in the meantime rather than chasing wins to the detriment of our medium/long term prospects.

BW ain't going to be involved in any deal netting us a 1st round pick, beyond being steak knives in such a trade.

Take the yellow and blue tinted glassed off 😂
I’d value BW at a pick around 30. Don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest packaging that up to a team desperate for KPF/rucks to try and move up the order. Certainly don’t think he’s just a set of steak knives.

Depends on his forward craft which has been pretty average to date, hasn’t done anything in F50 to warrant selection over Waterman or Maric if he’s only spending 20% of his time in the ruck. I’d just like to see us get creative to get another high R1 pick this year. Williams holds currency and is superfluous to need in the event that we recruit English IMO. I’d love to see if TB is open to a move.
If BWilliams doesn't warrant selection in your best 22, ahead of Waterman or Maric, because he hasn't done anything, then he's not worth a first round pick in a trade, nor is he valuable as an added on player in a trade that nets you a first round pick.

There’s good/excellent KPD prospects Buss 2024, Taylor 2025 and Curtin 2026. I’d consider our F1 and BWilliams packaged up for a top 5 pick provided it gets us Jagga, FOS (or maybe even Draper depending on how he tracks this year). If we can somehow manage that then the midfield is done with a great balance of players with versatility through the HBF and HFF.
See, that's just a trade to dump BWilliams contract.

I’d value BW at a pick around 30. Don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest packaging that up to a team desperate for KPF/rucks to try and move up the order. Certainly don’t think he’s just a set of steak knives.
If he's not best 22 with you guys, who is he best 22 with?

He's 100% steak knives or a salary dump in any trade you involve him in.

If he's not best 22 with you guys, who is he best 22 with?

He's 100% steak knives or a salary dump in any trade you involve him in.
He is B22. I said in the event that we bring in English where he would not be in B22 IMO. Grundy is a perfect example. Not B22 at Melbourne but worth a lot more at another club. To be clear I never said he was worth a 1R pick, I said we should look at what we could do to try and move up the draft order and he’s a player with currency, especially for a team crying out for talls.

Last edited:
This depends largely on our confidence of acquiring the KPDs I mentioned (or others). Very happy to rookie HEdwards (unless he has a good season and deserves an extension to stay on the main list) for 2025 and tell Jamo he has one year to show he deserves persisting with in the event that a good trade for TB became available. Look what happened when we told Gov he was unfit and threw him into the backline after he came back from his holiday. I think the club has been a bit short sighted with some list decisions (like after the Kelly trade clearly wasn’t going to deliver another flag). I hope we’ve learnt from that and we’re thinking what the list looks like in 2026/2027 even if that means more pain in the meantime rather than chasing wins to the detriment of our medium/long term prospects.
Its not about chasing wins, we need to be competitive, and with our midfield likely not being able to go toe to toe with most other teams for at least a couple more years, we really need a strong backline. Losing TB and trying to fill the gaps with HEdwards, Jamo, or any youngsters like buss/bazzo/etc is just not going to be cut it.

Doesnt matter whats happened in the past, right now we need stability and thats what our guys in their mid to late 20s bring.
We straight up just dont have or are in the ball park for getting any short term mature replacements for BW or TB.

I agree, and id rather BW over pick 30, id rather him over pick 20 too tbh, even if we got English. In 2-3 years time when A.Reid or J.Williams are ready to go ill probably think differently.

Its not about chasing wins, we need to be competitive, and with our midfield likely not being able to go toe to toe with most other teams for at least a couple more years, we really need a strong backline. Losing TB and trying to fill the gaps with HEdwards, Jamo, or any youngsters like buss/bazzo/etc is just not going to be cut it.

Doesnt matter whats happened in the past, right now we need stability and thats what our guys in their mid to late 20s bring.
We straight up just dont have or are in the ball park for getting any short term mature replacements for BW or TB.

I agree, and id rather BW over pick 30, id rather him over pick 20 too tbh, even if we got English. In 2-3 years time when A.Reid or J.Williams are ready to go ill probably think differently.
Sound reasoning as to why we shouldn’t trade him but I’d still prefer plug a hole for a year (not with Bazzo/Buss they are 3rd talls for time being) provided we’re confident of filling it after that. Plenty of other senior boys around for stability. Also remember we played the last 6 games without TB last year, won 2 of them, lost 1 by a point interstate and probably looked the best we had all year.

I’d definitely prefer him over pick 30 now, but if we get English I’d prefer pick 30.

Pick 30 for a below average ruck and a terribly
below average forward isn’t getting us pick 30 in any draft

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pick 30 for a below average ruck and a terribly
below average forward isn’t getting us pick 30 in any draft

I reckon if you asked North Melbourne if they’d prefer pick 30 in the draft this year or an established 23yo. ruck/forward who has played every game last year they’d take the ruck/forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m reserving judgement on what we do with Williams (and chasing English) until we see how the combination with Flynn works

If English extends with the Bulldogs in the meantime then so be it, we just have to make it known to his management (Andrew McDougall) that we retain an interest in him coming to West Coast

I’m reserving judgement on what we do with Williams (and chasing English) until we see how the combination with Flynn works

If English extends with the Bulldogs in the meantime then so be it, we just have to make it known to his management (Andrew McDougall) that we retain an interest in him coming to West Coast
I think we can all agree on that, just pie in the sky before we’ve even played a game but Twomey was pretty adamant on Gettable that we’ve made it clear to English over summer we want him.

On management does anyone know who Buss is managed by?

Sound reasoning as to why we shouldn’t trade him but I’d still prefer plug a hole for a year (not with Bazzo/Buss they are 3rd talls for time being) provided we’re confident of filling it after that. Plenty of other senior boys around for stability. Also remember we played the last 6 games without TB last year, won 2 of them, lost 1 by a point interstate and probably looked the best we had all year.

I’d definitely prefer him over pick 30 now, but if we get English I’d prefer pick 30.
Ok say we trade out TB at the end of the year, Gov is 32 and not a lockdown defender, Bazzo in his 4th year, and isnt really a natural lockdown defender either. If we get Buss who will be in his 3rd year, who is a similar type of player to Bazzo we still dont have somebody to play on the real big forwards like Tex.
Remember Hurn was pretty important late in the year playing on big forwards too, I remember there was a game he matched up on Larkey and held him pretty well.

HEdwards cant be relied on to stay fit, so we would need to see something special from him this year for him to even be in this conversation, Jamo im not counting as I dont think he has a future at the club.

We would probably be going into games with Gov + 2 of Bazzo/Buss/HEdwards, doesnt sound so inspiring. Im not chasing wins short term wins here, just minimising losses so the young guys dont lose confidence in themselves or just decide to leave

Maybe if our midfield comes along much better than we expect, and Flynn goes up a level from his GWS days, with Hough or Bazzo maybe breaking out as a decent interceptor, id be on board.
I think TB in particular is worth significantly more to us in a rebuild than any club is willing to part with

Ok say we trade out TB at the end of the year, Gov is 32 and not a lockdown defender, Bazzo in his 4th year, and isnt really a natural lockdown defender either. If we get Buss who will be in his 3rd year, who is a similar type of player to Bazzo we still dont have somebody to play on the real big forwards like Tex.
Remember Hurn was pretty important late in the year playing on big forwards too, I remember there was a game he matched up on Larkey and held him pretty well.

HEdwards cant be relied on to stay fit, so we would need to see something special from him this year for him to even be in this conversation, Jamo im not counting as I dont think he has a future at the club.

We would probably be going into games with Gov + 2 of Bazzo/Buss/HEdwards, doesnt sound so inspiring. Im not chasing wins short term wins here, just minimising losses so the young guys dont lose confidence in themselves or just decide to leave

Maybe if our midfield comes along much better than we expect, and Flynn goes up a level from his GWS days, with Hough or Bazzo maybe breaking out as a decent interceptor, id be on board.
I think TB in particular is worth significantly more to us in a rebuild than any club is willing to part with
We showed end of last year that we could cover TB without being worse (we looked better in fact). HEdwards was tracking well this preseason, the finger fracture was just unlucky. Jamo I don’t think will get another contract but he’s still contracted this year and next and can play a role, even if it’s temporary. As I said we’d need to be confident we could get a younger KP lock down defender (Taylor ideal) at the end of 2025 or 2026 latest.

The last point you make is a good one. Definitely wouldn’t accept unders for him in some sort of fire sale. Sounded like (unconfirmed) Sydney were willing to part with 2 mid/late first rounders (after his injury) and I don’t see how their situation has changed to a point where they wouldn’t offer the same. He would also be hugely valuable to North, Hawthorn or even then Crows (doubt he’d want to go there although they are building nicely). You saw the McKay frenzy for a spud KPD, I’d imagine there would be plenty of suitors for a bloke who can actually play footy.

Eligible for both, John played 135 games for Fitzroy and 224 games for Norf

We could be in a similar situation soon though with Luke Hodge's son tied to the Brisbane academy and choose them over the Hawks

I think it would be hilarious if Hodge’s kids got picked up via the Brisbane academy and am actively wanting it to happen

I think we can all agree on that, just pie in the sky before we’ve even played a game but Twomey was pretty adamant on Gettable that we’ve made it clear to English over summer we want him.

Our new List Manager has just started, he might not rate English.

Plenty of water to go under the bridge.

For me I’d rather it be a bluff that helps us get some younger talent like buss or Arthur jones

Our new List Manager has just started, he might not rate English.

Plenty of water to go under the bridge.

For me I’d rather it be a bluff that helps us get some younger talent like buss or Arthur jones

We showed end of last year that we could cover TB without being worse (we looked better in fact). HEdwards was tracking well this preseason, the finger fracture was just unlucky. Jamo I don’t think will get another contract but he’s still contracted this year and next and can play a role, even if it’s temporary. As I said we’d need to be confident we could get a younger KP lock down defender (Taylor ideal) at the end of 2025 or 2026 latest.

The last point you make is a good one. Definitely wouldn’t accept unders for him in some sort of fire sale. Sounded like (unconfirmed) Sydney were willing to part with 2 mid/late first rounders (after his injury) and I don’t see how their situation has changed to a point where they wouldn’t offer the same. He would also be hugely valuable to North, Hawthorn or even then Crows (doubt he’d want to go there although they are building nicely). You saw the McKay frenzy for a spud KPD, I’d imagine there would be plenty of suitors for a bloke who can actually play footy.
Maybe if we got a good deal from the Swans which came with Hamling maybe as a replacement for a couple years, then sure maybe thats viable. Maybe the Swans have assets to trade if they trade Mcdonald to freo. Itd need to be an amazing deal on the condition we find a replacement we are confident in playing all year imo.

I think you are understating how good Hurn was at matching up on guys much bigger than himself, even Yeo to some extent too. Our 3 games without Hurn or TB at the end of the year were against Essendon who dont have any particularly scary KPFs, the Dogs who we beat by having a few of our older guys having their best game in years, and the Freo game which we all remember. I dont think we really covered TB at all tbh, none of those teams are really the teams we need him against.

i know North have their awful backline, but thats not something we should be going into a year aiming to have.
If our midfield was a bit better id be less against it

Do we need somebody like that though? Collingwood dont have this person and they won the premiership last year, we won it in 2018 without one too.
If Ginbey can be in the Cripps mould, or Hewett in the Rozee mould, or Reid in the Petracca mould or some variation of this we will be fine. We still have our first pick this next draft which will likely be on a more outside mid, plus we have Hall who is in that mould of an accumulator.

They had Tom Mitchell who had 7 clearances and 13 tackles in the GF, Brisbane had Dunkley who filled a more balanced role but same idea.

You're right in that Ginbey/Hall may fill that need, but think we do overall need someone like that.

IMO the game has changed from coalface accumulators being someone to build a team around and outside movers like Gaff being important extras, to the outside movers being the ones you build a team around (eg Daicos) and the coalface accumulators being important extras - so as to your point probably not as necessary as in the past but still vital (eg having a really good 2nd key defender is still super handy). If Ginbey for instance projects to be more like a Yeo who is best being explosive and going back/tagging at times, and Hall isn't up to that role (hopefully he will be), I'd still like to invest in that area

They had Tom Mitchell who had 7 clearances and 13 tackles in the GF, Brisbane had Dunkley who filled a more balanced role but same idea.

You're right in that Ginbey/Hall may fill that need, but think we do overall need someone like that.
Rumours are that Sheldrick needs to work on his defensive game, so he doesnt fulfill that Mitchell or Dunkley role, dont know enough about Carroll tbh.
Will probably be Ginbey for us for sure, Hall I think is more of an accumulator rather than a defensive player.
IMO the game has changed from coalface accumulators being someone to build a team around and outside movers like Gaff being important extras, to the outside movers being the ones you build a team around (eg Daicos) and the coalface accumulators being important extras - so as to your point probably not as necessary as in the past but still vital (eg having a really good 2nd key defender is still super handy). If Ginbey for instance projects to be more like a Yeo who is best being explosive and going back/tagging at times, and Hall isn't up to that role (hopefully he will be), I'd still like to invest in that area
My hopes are for Reid to be in a bit of a Petracca mould, and Hewett to be somewhat a bit of a mix of Yeo/Rozee. Those guys have no issues going 25+ touches regularly. We dont really have a player that can do the "daicos role", but hopefully our first pick this year is that silky outside player.

I guess my point is that we have committed 3(4 with Chesser) high draft picks on midfielders over 3 years, with likely another this year. Assuming the last one is an outside player we have all bases covered. We still have Yeo for at least 1 and Kelly for at least 3 more years. Thats a lot of mids for not many spots in the one midfield. None of those guys I mentioned are wingers, so theyre really fighting over 3-4 mid spots plus one at half forward. There will no doubt be one or 2 more names going through there at some point to fill the gaps/cover injuries.
We have guys like Hall and other guys we draft who will need runs in there too at some point. If we bring in a young mid from another club theyll be expecting game time.
I dont really want us to chase Sheldrick, Carroll maybe if Chesser doesnt show anything this year. The game has sort of gone past the slow inside mid accumulator types, hence why you see T.Mitchell has changed his role to stay on a list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back