List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
In all the talk about recruiting it’s an unknown how players value success versus financial security. (Only the very very lucky get both.)
It’s a very small percentage that get a flag or even get to a GF. And I’m guessing the majority don’t even play finals. Plus relatively few have long careers.

I don’t have any answers I’m just wondering how it affects recruiting. Apparently Geelong don’t pay their champs overs but instead offer success and lifestyle.

I’m just curious as to whether the Eagles can offer something unique or creative that may entice more players to put up with the constant travel (which must be a definite negative for us)?

For example, as we’re the wealthiest club can we assure players that if they come to us that we will use our contacts to create a very very substantial financial portfolio (beyond their payments)? I’m assuming all clubs help with investment advice but can we go way beyond the average?

Or … ?

Or … ?
I mean, we have the best beaches by a long shot, only Queensland can compare. They should be selling the beach lifestyle as well as the big crowds Brisbane can't get you plus the financial advice you suggest to get them into beachside homes etc.

But travel will always be the elephant in the room.

I mean, we have the best beaches by a long shot, only Queensland can compare. They should be selling the beach lifestyle as well as the big crowds Brisbane can't get you plus the financial advice you suggest to get them into beachside homes etc.

But travel will always be the elephant in the room.
Think more laterally, surf in Perth is rubbish by any measure. Sitting on a beach isn't for everyone. Brisbane doesn't even have a beach.

Think more laterally, surf in Perth is rubbish by any measure. Sitting on a beach isn't for everyone. Brisbane doesn't even have a beach.
It might not be for everyone, but sitting on a beach watching girls in bikinis would rank highly among, oh, I don't know, young, fit men in their early 20s with plenty of spare time that can afford to live beach adjacent.

I can say, I was never much of a beach person, but I am currently living a 10-minute walk from the ocean. Turns out I am a beach person, just didn't care for the drive and hassle previously.

Anyway, sun and surf is the lifestyle you sell, just like Geelong sell country peace and quiet, which also isn't for everyone but seems to work. It's part of the overall package.

The commentary coming out of Victoria from the likes of Matthew Lloyd on Reid is foreshadowing what the sales pitch to him will be from Victorian clubs. They will tell him that as he is already the best midfielder at our club he will get tagged every week and get all the defensive and physical attention directed at him which is no good for him and his development and he would be better off at a club where is the 3rd or 4th best midfielder and gets no special attention. They will also point at our recent run with injury and suggest that our club's medical and conditioning department is incompetent and he is more likely to sustain serious injuries if he stays here.

We will have to push the limits of what you are allowed to do in terms of setting him up financially outside the salary cap in a way that most Victorian clubs don't have the means to in order to keep him. And even then, we did that for Judd (i.e. made him a multi millionaire by kissing him into special deals that were guaranteed to make money for him) and he still left.

It might not be for everyone, but sitting on a beach watching girls in bikinis would rank highly among, oh, I don't know, young, fit men in their early 20s with plenty of spare time that can afford to live beach adjacent.

I can say, I was never much of a beach person, but I am currently living a 10-minute walk from the ocean. Turns out I am a beach person, just didn't care for the drive and hassle previously.

Anyway, sun and surf is the lifestyle you sell, just like Geelong sell country peace and quiet, which also isn't for everyone but seems to work. It's part of the overall package.
Doubt many people want to live in or even around Geelong tbh - it’s not great. I suspect they attract people by being super successful and people want to play in successful teams.

The commentary coming out of Victoria from the likes of Matthew Lloyd on Reid is foreshadowing what the sales pitch to him will be from Victorian clubs. They will tell him that as he is already the best midfielder at our club he will get tagged every week and get all the defensive and physical attention directed at him which is no good for him and his development and he would be better off at a club where is the 3rd or 4th best midfielder and gets no special attention. They will also point at our recent run with injury and suggest that our club's medical and conditioning department is incompetent and he is more likely to sustain serious injuries if he stays here.

We will have to push the limits of what you are allowed to do in terms of setting him up financially outside the salary cap in a way that most Victorian clubs don't have the means to in order to keep him. And even then, we did that for Judd (i.e. made him a multi millionaire by kissing him into special deals that were guaranteed to make money for him) and he still left.

So we’re cheating the salary cap to keep Reid, now????

C’mon guys, this is getting silly

Get the feeling Harley wants to be number one, not three or four.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I don't live that far from the beach (100M) and its something I chose. I enjoy Perth breaches but am sure the local love is relatively overhyped. Geelong, your country peace, is a quick drive to what is arguable the best surf in Australia and great beaches. There are girls/sun/beaches in Sydney and GC would argue they have an edge.

Doubt many people want to live in or even around Geelong tbh - it’s not great. I suspect they attract people by being super successful and people want to play in successful teams.

It’s probably true that many/most people don’t want to live in or near Geelong but what Geelong have done well is specifically target those who do

There was a stat going round at the time of their 2022 premiership about the number of players on their list that had come from country or semi-rural areas. I don’t remember the exact numbers but it was significant

They pushed the lifestyle angle and lower cost of housing helping them attract players without paying exorbitant salaries. Obviously them being a successful club also helped

It’s a point of difference for them and they found a way to exploit it.

IMO Ried will follow Judd's lead and move back to Vic after 6/7 seasons.

Hopefully winning a flag before he goes.

It would make sense as he looks like a loyal type but when he reaches 25 / 26 the offers coming out of Vic would be insane. And the travel factor does shorten careers and would be in his mind at some stage.

Just thinks it is likely to happen but if we get 6 or 8 years out of Harely thats fine.

It would make sense as he looks like a loyal type but when he reaches 25 / 26 the offers coming out of Vic would be insane. And the travel factor does shorten careers and would be in his mind at some stage.

Just thinks it is likely to happen but if we get 6 or 8 years out of Harely thats fine.
What makes you come to that conclusion? What if he is more like Shuey than Judd?

This is what players want...

‘If you could choose whatever club you'd want to go, what three and why?’, that was a tough one,” Reid said.

“I said Collingwood, because of the atmosphere and the fans they bring."

Bringing back the old song should just about secure the atmosphere which = more free agents and trade targets.
So ambitious players want to play at the highest level with all it entails, not sit on a local beach. Who would have thought.

Clubs have to spend 95% of the cap each year. On market value as it stands I reckon we’re spending about 70-80% of the cap in 2026. Front load the deals and give our young players some support. If we only start drafting KPPs in the next couple of years they are going to be too far behind our mids when they are hitting their peak. Buss then those two are absolute priorities and I’d happily pay that for either of them as free agents.
This is an equalization measure that does the opposite. I think the idea was to stop poor clubs under-capping by 20-30% because they were poor and therefore uncompetitive in the market, in retention and on the field. Without bailouts clubs like Norf would be permanently underspending just to stay afloat.

What it actually does is ensure spuds at spud clubs are overpaid and will never leave except by being shown the door. Also means bad clubs cannot underspend (deservedly) for a couple of years to get cap space to really hit the recruiting market and getting a couple of guns and a couple of decent role players at one time.

Figure should be 80% in any one year and you can bank savings (rolling) for up to three years (spend or lose the first year savings in year 4).

It’s probably true that many/most people don’t want to live in or near Geelong but what Geelong have done well is specifically target those who do

There was a stat going round at the time of their 2022 premiership about the number of players on their list that had come from country or semi-rural areas. I don’t remember the exact numbers but it was significant

They pushed the lifestyle angle and lower cost of housing helping them attract players without paying exorbitant salaries. Obviously them being a successful club also helped

It’s a point of difference for them and they found a way to exploit it.
That’s interesting

What makes you come to that conclusion? What if he is more like Shuey than Judd?
Shuey would never have had big offers to come home, at least not in the stratosphere as Judd.

Reid has a number of years before we will be able to compare with the kind of offers Judd received, but the hype is unprecedented at this point

If he is more Shuey than Judd then it probably means he has flopped a bit

Shuey would never have had big offers to come home, at least not in the stratosphere as Judd.

Reid has a number of years before we will be able to compare with the kind of offers Judd received, but the hype is unprecedented at this point

If he is more Shuey than Judd then it probably means he has flopped a bit
I was referring to loyalty.

See, I think if he extends beyond his 3 years, he’ll be an Eagle for life. The risk is losing him after 3 years imo.

Get the feeling Harley wants to be number one, not three or four.
Probably so ... until he gets the s*** kicked out of him every week by experienced and more physically mature taggers pushing him around and using all of their usual tactics to get at star players and gets shut out of games by all the defensive pressure concentrated on him, at which point he might be willing to vote for an easier life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back