Controversial incidents

Remove this Banner Ad

I think (or at least I hope) what he means is that by having more and more foreign players playing in Italian club youth sides, it's detrimental to the development of the Italian national side as there are fewer eligible players coming through at a high enough standard.

Either way, he probably didn't choose his words very well to say the least...

Looking at this article... It doesn't look like it: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/17/arrigo-sacchi-no-racist-too-many-blacks-youth-teams

Even if we were considering the African angle, what honestly is wrong with it? Why can't those players choose to play for Italy? Like a certain Mr Balotelli? (He's not exactly scot-free in the racist department himself). Those youth players could easily want to represent Italy. Europe in general is just a more appealing stage international-wise. Would you rather play in the Euros against Germany, Spain and France, or in Africa playing Egypt, Nigeria, and Cape Verde?

If they want to play for Italy (They have a right to reject a call up from other nations), and the Italian selectors consider them good enough to play for the Azzurri, then why the heck not? Aren't you trying to promote better talent?

Sounds to me there's some racist undertones considering what is said before and even now.

Last edited:
Looking at this article... It doesn't look like it: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/17/arrigo-sacchi-no-racist-too-many-blacks-youth-teams

Even if we were considering the African angle, what honestly is wrong with it? Why can't those players choose to play for Italy? Like a certain Mr Balotelli? (He's not exactly scot-free in the raciest department himself). Those youth players could easily want to represent Italy. Europe in general is just a more appealing stage international-wise. Would you rather play in the Euros against Germany, Spain and France, or in Africa playing Egypt, Nigeria, and Cape Verde?

If they want to play for Italy (They have a right to reject a call up from other nations), and the Italian selectors consider them good enough to play for the Azzurri, then why the heck not? Aren't you trying to promote better talent?

Sounds to me there's some racist undertones considering what is said before and even now.

Yep, very valid point Fryer Tuck - I was trying to give Sacchi the benefit of the doubt though I think he has a previous record of controversial remarks?

Do the Italian leagues have similar squad requirements to England (ie where club's need to register I think a minimum of 8 'club trained' and another 8 'home grown' players?)

I personally have no issue with players from foreign countries playing in other leagues, I'd even go so far as saying that by having players from different cultures and backgrounds eventually becoming eligible for that nation; that it ultimately can be of benefit to the national team as they can bring different playing styles, techniques and attributes to the table.

I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere last year that Italy currently has a big problem with trying to fight racism which is apparently still fairly prevalent over there sadly.

Yep, very valid point Fryer Tuck - I was trying to give Sacchi the benefit of the doubt though I think he has a previous record of controversial remarks?

Do the Italian leagues have similar squad requirements to England (ie where club's need to register I think a minimum of 8 'club trained' and another 8 'home grown' players?)

I personally have no issue with players from foreign countries playing in other leagues, I'd even go so far as saying that by having players from different cultures and backgrounds eventually becoming eligible for that nation; that it ultimately can be of benefit to the national team as they can bring different playing styles, techniques and attributes to the table.

I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere last year that Italy currently has a big problem with trying to fight racism which is apparently still fairly prevalent over there sadly.

Well... Sacchi's biggest problem has always been his lack of footballing pedigree. That's probably it as terms of controversy with Sacchi goes. (I didn't know that in order to be a good jockey, you had to be a horse first).

There are no limits on squad size… for now. There is a limit of how many non-EU players you can have in your squad. Clubs that had no non-EU players (or that are newly promoted) have 3 quotas. The quota system gets a bit screwy after that, but basically, clubs are allowed to give bigger clubs quotas in order to fulfill their needs of another non-EU player.

Now, there have been talks about limiting the Serie A squads to 25 players, with 4 players coming from their youth system, so club trained players. Also to the non-EU rule, at least one of them has to have a national squad pedigree, though I don’t think there’s an international rank limit (In England, teams 70 and above get approval). U21 players are not restricted.

One of the reasons is to promote local talent produced by the club, so they’re not just getting left overs from Milan, Juve and Roma. All of the best youth are coming from the big clubs, also meaning that those smaller clubs have less facilities in place to groom these younger players into good players.

In fact, you think foreign players in the Premier League is a problem, just take a look at Serie A. You count just as many foreign flags as you could Italian flags. At least the lower ranked teams in the Premier League have mostly English players. Even the worst ranked Cesena has about 30-40% of its players that are foreign, and they were the playoff team last season. Just pick any team in Serie A, and you can kinda see why Italy is failing on the bigger stage and why Serie A has lost a lot of its spark.

Actually, one major reason is that unlike in England, there is no blackouts in the cities to force people to attend the games. Then again, it doesn’t help when the few fans that do attend are racist as all heck. This goes all over the league, not just an isolated incident, and it happens on the international stage too.

In fact, do you want to know what the Serie A TV deal is? 940m euros a season (came into place this season). Now compare that the Premier League's new deal. Alright, the English team is not exactly a shining beacon, but at least the Premier League is respectable enough. Serie A and Italian football is really in a big hole.

Actually, looking up Italian naturalisation laws, if you have no connections to Italy, it will take 10 years before you can become a citizen. 3 years if you have at least one Italian grandparent, 4 if you are a foreigner born in Italy or if you have citizenship from another EU nation, 5 if you're a refugee, and 7 if you were adopted.

So one question that does have to be asked is how many of those foreign-born youth players will actually qualify for Italian citizenship in a reasonable period of time? If they don't hold citizenships from other EU nations, or born in Italy, they definitely would not be representing Italy anytime soon.

It's a weird one, with the way Italy is set up, it just looks like it's an excuse for those outside of Italy to play in a 'Top 5 League,' earning decent coin (not amazing, but still decent enough). Problem is, you're not getting any prime talent in, so all your foreign talent is B grade stuff. It's also abundant, seeing how it seems worse than England, where even playing for a newly promoted team will find you competing against foreign players. I'd like to see the starting XIs between lower ranked teams, and get a better idea of how exposed a youth Italian player really is.

Last edited:

From memory, Mario didnt get citizenship until he was 17/18 even though he was born in italy.

Really? That's farcical. He's born in Italy and had lived there his whole life. Most countries you automatically become a citizen if you're born there.

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/news/chelsea-race-thug-is-ex-irish-cop

The Sunday World has learned that the man cops want to speak to for pushing the Paris-born French-Mauritian man from the train is 50-year-old Richard Barklie.

And we can also reveal the extraordinary double life the ex-RUC police officer leads.

By day he is the director of a worldwide human rights organisation, lecturing on racial tolerance around the globe. But at the weekend Barklie rubs shoulders with hooligans and racists from the notorious Chelsea Headhunter crew.

amazing

The Sunday World has learned that the man cops want to speak to for pushing the Paris-born French-Mauritian man from the train is 50-year-old Richard Barklie.

And we can also reveal the extraordinary double life the ex-RUC police officer leads.

By day he is the director of a worldwide human rights organisation, lecturing on racial tolerance around the globe. But at the weekend Barklie rubs shoulders with hooligans and racists from the notorious Chelsea Headhunter crew.

amazing
What the??

amazing
That pisses me off even more tbh. I really hope they throw the book at him!

amazing

Great work by the club and everyone else involved.

amazing

Bloody hell

amazing
wow if that's true it's very disappointing and a tad weird. I suppose he may have been headhunted for the position and have no background in human rights prior but regardless it is an extraordinary double life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B-gqLcsIIAAEyAk.png

B-gqM-qIgAAqIEx.png

err

Think I read one of the Chelsea fans caught up in the Paris incident was the head of a charity and has done years of charity work in developing countries (including Africa and parts of Asia). If he was involved in the chanting (he apparently said via a statement he was present but not involved), that's completely mind boggling!

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet. Mourinho's response to a John Obi Mikel tackle that was very similar to Barnes one on Matic, the tackle broke Mikel Arteta's shinpad in half. Hypocrite much?

Not all of them are, certainly not to the extent of Jose at the moment.

If we had a decent football media in the country hypocrisy from managers would be highlighted and ridiculed.

Jose sat on a couch on Sunday for two hours claiming only one decision had gone their way all year and not one of the presenters/producer/researchers thought (or wanted to) give him a few examples.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back