Cool Stats - Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on all of the AFL

Farren Ray has had the third most kicks.
CJ has had the 10th most handballs ( keep working on it CJ I like your handballs, well actually I like you not kicking ).
CJ has the equal 12th most disposals - the same as Pendlebury.
Armo has our most contested disposals 29th , I guess we are sharing the load.
James Gwilt has the 6th best disposal efficiency. All of the players better than him have had less disposals than him. Apparently 2 of his 52 were not so good.
Armo and Joey are ninth for clangers. That's OK Ablett is first.
Nick Riewoldt is 2nd for marks. Dempster is 5th.
As has been pointed out elsewhere Maister is the contested mark Maister (3rd ). Stanley is 6th
Nick and his cousin share the honours for most marks inside 50.
Hickey is only 17th for hitouts.
Armo 18th for clearances, 11th for center clearances.
Curren 16th for stoppages
Dempster 8th for rebounds.
Hickey 10th for getting free's also gives away the most for StKilda but not too many.
Saunders and Dunstan 18th for tackling
Gwilt leading our 1% ers but he is well down at 35th.
Dempster 13th for bounces.
Ray and Riewoldt lead our kicks into 50.
Nick leading the goalkicking. Our next is Eli at 41st.
CJ is our highest points kicker , but its only 3 and he's leading the comp for goal assists.
Joey, Dempster, Hickey, Geary and Gwilt have 100% goal accuracy. ( but only Hickey and Joey have kicked more than 1 ).
Gwilt has spent the 10th most time on ground (97.1%)
Riewoldt has the 6th most dreamteam points.

As someone who coached wide receivers in American Football for 3 years, I can tell you it is surprisingly common to find people drop the easy ones and snatch the difficult ones. It's usually a matter of concentration, but I can't say I've ever truly figured it out.

Good source for those this way inclined;

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-st-kilda-saints

Not sure is a league wide thing, but stats have us, thus far, kicking more than our opponents (4th in league), but handballing less (13th in league).

Our K:H ratio is ~1.5:1.

FWIW

Good source for those this way inclined;

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-st-kilda-saints

Not sure is a league wide thing, but stats have us, thus far, kicking more than our opponents (4th in league), but handballing less (13th in league).

Our K:H ratio is ~1.5:1.

FWIW
Great stat! With the amount of pressure that's being applied these days over-handballing is a sure fire way to turn it over.

Great stat! With the amount of pressure that's being applied these days over-handballing is a sure fire way to turn it over.
Completely agree. Very happy with the way we are trying to kick long down the line to a contest when attempting to 'bail out' of a sticky situation. I find over-handballing the MOST frustrating thing on the ground when an opposition brings high intensity pressure. I'd rather a turnover on the wing or at half-forward than in defence, and at least kicking long down the line to a contest can result in a stoppage more often than not. And given we are actually winning clearances a lot this year, forcing a stoppage is certainly not a bad thing!

What about the circumference of Tom Curren's biceps?

The #TCEffect is an extraordinary phenomena & something that cannot be truly measured through statistical analysis :thumbsu:

I just wish he wasn't tagging, and allowed to be on the ball a bit more rather than trying to shutdown players like Shuey

Hickey 100% goal accuracy. Not something I would have expected watching his goal kicking last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Completely agree. Very happy with the way we are trying to kick long down the line to a contest when attempting to 'bail out' of a sticky situation. I find over-handballing the MOST frustrating thing on the ground when an opposition brings high intensity pressure. I'd rather a turnover on the wing or at half-forward than in defence, and at least kicking long down the line to a contest can result in a stoppage more often than not. And given we are actually winning clearances a lot this year, forcing a stoppage is certainly not a bad thing!

We seem to be using the boundaries too, which help the odds.
Kick long to a player there is half a chance he will mark it, but if he doesn't there is half a chance he can knock it out, which means the team then has half a chance to win the stoppage.

Hickey 100% goal accuracy. Not something I would have expected watching his goal kicking last year.

I Know!
Between Hickey and Reiwoldt I think I must have died without realising it and gone to some bizzsaro StKilda goalkicking heaven place.
Hmmmm my wife isn't any better.

Stats pulled from this article which was posted in the media thread http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-afl-season-20140409-zqssa.html#ixzz2yNdiYPh1

Avg stoppages a game: 58.2 (17th) -> 72.7 (6th)
Contested ball diff: -2 (13th) -> +6.7 (6th)
Avg goals against: 14 (15th) -> 10 (=3rd)
i50 against: 12th -> 5th
Op marks i50: 15th -> I think 5th but the article isn't clear.
Op goal % per i50 : =14th -> 4th @ 21.7%

Clearly the improvement is only over 3 games so far but it is still great to see.

@FantasyFreako: T. Curren has kept every opponent to < 20 disp. this season - Vince (13), Treloar (18), Shuey (18) and Dangerfield (10). Heppell tonight.

@FantasyFreako: T. Curren has kept every opponent to < 20 disp. this season - Vince (13), Treloar (18), Shuey (18) and Dangerfield (10). Heppell tonight.
Vince had 28 touches, Shuey 20 disposals, Treloar 23 disposals, Dangerfield 19 disposals i'll just assume Tom Curren wasn't on them when they got the other bunch of touches?

Vince had 28 touches, Shuey 20 disposals, Treloar 23 disposals, Dangerfield 19 disposals i'll just assume Tom Curren wasn't on them when they got the other bunch of touches?

Yeah I'd assume so mate.

Jack Newnes in 2014

Disposals: 21.4
Marks: 5.2
Tackles: 3.2
Clearances: 2
Disposals Effeciency: 78.5 (which is 8th best at Saints and is higher then Armo/Joey/Hayes/Steven/Ray)
Contested Possessions: 7

#breakout #undertheradar

Jack Newnes in 2014

Disposals: 21.4
Marks: 5.2
Tackles: 3.2
Clearances: 2
Disposals Effeciency: 78.5 (which is 8th best at Saints and is higher then Armo/Joey/Hayes/Steven/Ray)
Contested Possessions: 7

#breakout #undertheradar
Not sure if there is a stat for this but he always keeps his feet. See hawthorn

Where do you go to find out someone's disposal efficiency?

I think with Newnes he was always (2013 anyway) a good player, but he would also make mistakes - tended to be good for a couple of turnovers near our 50 per game.
This year his mistakes are down. But he's playing under less pressure too - he seems to get a fair number of his touches when we're knocking the ball around at the back rather than getting involved in the manic scrambles to clear.
Seems to me as though we're set up for Webster/Geary/Wright to get physical and win ground ball at the back, Delaney/Gwilt/Bruce to play tall, Dempster spare man and Newnes to be the ball-player out of the back (where other clubs play a genuine mid).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back