COPA America 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn't it put in perspective the idea that latin America is the home or "real" "natural" soccer talent?

That idea is a "first world" European idea based on a mix of romanticism and exoticism.

These are very ordinary teams in the main comprised of very ordinary players playing very ordinary soccer.

Fascinating shootout to watch, some shocking pens in there, Argentina through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another day, another hostile quarter final. If it weren't for David Ospina, the match could well have been over at half time. Argentina dominated possession and had 16 shots on goal to Colombia's 2. Really thought the referee had a good night, and wasn't sucked in by the many spotfires happening all over the pitch. Messi probably missed out on 1 or 2 free kicks but that could be karma for his simulation inside the centre circle in the 2nd half.

Wasn't thrilled with CONMEBOL's decision to scrap extra time in quarters and semi's and proceed straight to penalties. It felt rather anti-climatic, a bit like a third set super tie-breaker. But it was certainly one of the more outrageous shoot-outs of recent memory. Tevez, who missed the only penalty in Argentina's shoot-out loss to eventual champions Uruguay four years ago was deliberately left off Tato Martino's original list of five, but was called upon as the seventh penalty taker and achieved redemption. Earlier that day it was announced he would be returning to his boyhood club Boca Juniors after nine years abroad in Brazil, England and Italy.

Argentina have scored just 2 goals in their past 320 minutes which has to be a huge source of concern for Martino going into Tuesday night's semi against either Brazil or Paraguay.

At first I was surprised to see Tevez retiring from European football to do the "back to my first love" routine. Just checked. he is 31. I suppose he is winding down.

Not remotely surprising to me.

Brazil are impoverished. The lose their one true star and replace him with who? With a washed up 30 something who is surplus to requirement at mid ladder Serie A ACMilan.

Firmino? Watch him sink without trace under the glare of EPL publicity. Willian/Fernandinho? Bit players at their EPL clubs. Neither remotely near the top of the midfield pecking order at Chelsea or Manchester City.

Argentina should win the trophy but only by default. Hopefully Paraguay or Peru can surprise by getting the win

Not remotely surprising to me.

Brazil are impoverished. The lose their one true star and replace him with who? With a washed up 30 something who is surplus to requirement at mid ladder Serie A ACMilan.

Firmino? Watch him sink without trace under the glare of EPL publicity. Willian/Fernandinho? Bit players at their EPL clubs. Neither remotely near the top of the midfield pecking order at Chelsea or Manchester City.

Argentina should win the trophy but only by default. Hopefully Paraguay or Peru can surprise by getting the win

Willian's a nailed on starter at RW for Chelsea and Ferandinho the same in the City CM.

He may be starting but he clearly rates below both Fabregas and Hazard who are the flair players who really impact games with goals, assists, key passes etc. . He is a mere water carrier in comparison.

I would say he has a different skill set to those other two, but he's quite clearly a favourite of Mou's and important to our team structure.

He's more foot soldier than water carrier to me and no where near a bit player.

I would say he has a different skill set to those other two, but he's quite clearly a favourite of Mou's and important to our team structure.

He's more foot soldier than water carrier to me.

Surely you accept that both Fabregas and Hazard are not only different but are superior players to Willian just as Silva and Toure are to Fernandinho. To a non fan of City or Chelsea these are unremarkable statements of obvious fact.

We are talking here of two starters in the Brazil midfield who are "foot soldiers" at club level. Not exactly what those of us certainly of my generation expect of Brazil which is now among the most tarnished brands of world sport. All the connotations of Jogo Bonito or elegant flamboyance and incisiveness are gone. Brazil are a deeply ordinary team inhabited by ordinary players like Willian and fernandinho.

Last edited:
Surely you accept that both Fabregas and Hazard are superior players to Willian. I think we can agree there is no need to start trading stats/ratings etc. I suppose you are happy to accept both are clearly superior talents to Willian just as Silva and Toure are to Fernandinho. To a non fan of City or Chelsea these are unremarkable statements of obvious fact.

Where have I said Willian is a 'superior' player to Hazard and Fab?

Lets not move the goalposts.

You said he was a bit player at Chelsea and you are clearly wrong.

I said

'I would say he has a different skill set to those other two, but he's quite clearly a favourite of Mou's and important to our team structure.

He's more foot soldier than water carrier to me and no where near a bit player'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back