Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facts don't care about your feelings. I'll listen to the epidemiologists. With a 6-14 day incubation period, high R0 and asymptomatic transmission, if the virus emerged in Taiwan, it would likely have been outside it's borders before anyone knew about it. From there, it's really how other countries responded to the virus within their own borders. And we've seen how that played out.

In Australia we were going to have a Grand Prix in March, right up until the day of the race; and people were still calling it a bad flu. In the UK they were talking about herd immunity in March. In the US Trump has repeated many times with only a handful of cases, what was there for him to do all through February. In all those countries wearing masks was discouraged and people weren't distancing.

Taiwan have done a great job, but what their results show is how other countries and their citizens could have had better results had they taken the threat more seriously earlier than they did. They are literally the counter argument to the claim that China are responsible for the global death toll and all the trouble taking place inside the borders of other countries, not the example of how they are.

And FWIW the first confirmed case in Taiwan was after the WHO confirmed H2H transmission and around the same time as the first case in the US.

I don't agree with some of your views but this argument is well put :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Facts don't care about your feelings. I'll listen to the epidemiologists. With a 6-14 day incubation period, high R0 and asymptomatic transmission, if the virus emerged in Taiwan, it would likely have been outside it's borders before anyone knew about it. From there, it's really how other countries responded to the virus within their own borders. And we've seen how that played out.

In Australia we were going to have a Grand Prix in March, right up until the day of the race; and people were still calling it a bad flu. In the UK they were talking about herd immunity in March. In the US Trump has repeated many times with only a handful of cases, what was there for him to do all through February. In all those countries wearing masks was discouraged and people weren't distancing.

Taiwan have done a great job, but what their results show is how other countries and their citizens could have had better results had they taken the threat more seriously earlier than they did. They are literally the counter argument to the claim that China are responsible for the global death toll and all the trouble taking place inside the borders of other countries, not the example of how they are.

And FWIW the first confirmed case in Taiwan was after the WHO confirmed H2H transmission and around the same time as the first case in the US.

Taiwan being so close to China had a better idea of what was really going on with the virus than other Western countries that are much further away so of course they were better prepared for it, they knew there was H2H transmission in late December which gave them a head start on every other country.

You can argue that China and the WHO delaying the announcement of H2H transmission for another 3 weeks would have made no difference to how other countries reacted to it but it still doesn't excuse it and had Wuhan been locked down earlier it would have at least prevented some of the spread worldwide.

That's a rather rushed return with limited training I think, I reckon they should probably be looking more at June 18 or so.

Check my earlier posts mate, about 3 weeks ago the morning after the AFL has zooms with all coaches they were told it would be June 11/12 and GF October 31.. they’ve known for a while 👍

Message from our leader(s), if you feel better after reading it, call a doctor.

Hopefully Messrs Goyder & McLachlan didnt write it ....
a-letter-from-afl-commission-chair-richard-goyder-and-afl-chief-executive-gillon-mclachlan

What you say gentlemen?

Says nothing, but it did remind me how bad the AFL site is, stop scrolling for a second and top and bottom banners close in on the screen. Of all the businesss that went to wall this past two months it's a pity one wasn't Telstra.

Taiwan being so close to China had a better idea of what was really going on with the virus than other Western countries that are much further away so of course they were better prepared for it, they knew there was H2H transmission in late December which gave them a head start on every other country.

You can argue that China and the WHO delaying the announcement of H2H transmission for another 3 weeks would have made no difference to how other countries reacted to it but it still doesn't excuse it and had Wuhan been locked down earlier it would have at least prevented some of the spread worldwide.

I still massively question how it didn't spread to other parts of China , before Wuhan or any other Provinces locked down.
Surely there was more internal mixing than international.

Here’s a thought to bring back the crowds.
Allow odd numbered seats tp be used in the odd numbered rows.
Allow even numbered seats to be used in the even numbered rows.
Hand out masks with team colours for each game .

Does anyone know if members of the same household aren’t allowed to sit next to each other?

And no cheering. That is a viral accelerant, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back