Mega Thread Coronavirus & the AFL - season postponed. Part 2 * CONTINUED ABUSE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED *

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just to remind us of the greatest game of all.

My aunties father in here,the Carlton trainer who threw the towell into the Richmond player,when we had Christmas parties,we’d give it to him and vice versa,all good banter.
1980 Christmas gathering was great but got us back in ‘82:'(

MK had a friend's mother in the US cop racial abuse to back up his position so I responded accordingly. It's simply a comparison of personal anecdotes M2F. Any of yours to share?

To put into context, I know this woman first hand. I met her through my friendship with her daughter. She's a kind woman underserving of the violence she was subjected to. So when I see this - blame China, I mean all of China - the kind of ubiquitous thinking and stereotyping that drives such racial violence, yeah mate, I'm gonna speak up about it. So should you, but for your own reasons, you choose to defend it, with an addendum of "racial abuse is bad mmmmkay".

Yeah I know a bloke on an internet forum whose cousin's friend's mother died from coronavirus so now I like to think I have a personal stake in this.

Good for you.

And I've posted of Trump - "In terms of the situation unfolding in the US, Trump is not blameless. Of the many inputs into that situation, some have absolutely nothing to do with him, some have everything to do with him, and there's a bunch of grey area in between. Anyone wholly accusing him, or wholly defending him, are simply not being reasonably minded." I apply the same logic across the board.

You can put me in any box you like, but guaranteed I won't fit it anywhere but in your own mind.

What led to a global pandemic was the nature of this virus. It's why nation after nation has been unable to eradicate it despite having mountains of data, a full genome sequence and many weeks of forewarning. No one blamed the US for H1N1; it's just lazy nonsense IMO.

Of course there are shades of grey but it is absolutely undeniable that the PRC mishandled this. Like I keep saying, it's not mutually exclusive. There are various levels of fault with the WHO, Western countries' governments, the Sydney port authorities etc as to why the spread is the way it is now.

Did the US censor those who reported on H1N1? Or label those who criticised its handling as unpatriotic or anti-American?

To put into context, I know this woman first hand. I met her through my friendship with her daughter. She's a kind woman underserving of the violence she was subjected to. So when I see this - blame China, I mean all of China - the kind of ubiquitous thinking and stereotyping that drives such racial violence, yeah mate, I'm gonna speak up about it. So should you, but for your own reasons, you choose to defend it, with an addendum of "racial abuse is bad mmmmkay".

Mate, I've copped some racial abuse too because of this pandemic. God help me if I cough in public. Do I get some sympathy from you or a cop out that I don't understand it by mouthing off some generic platitudes?

Of course there are shades of grey but it is absolutely undeniable that the PRC mishandled this. Like I keep saying, it's not mutually exclusive. There are various levels of fault with the WHO, Western countries' governments, the Sydney port authorities etc as to why the spread is the way it is now.

Did the US censor those who reported on H1N1? Or label those who criticised its handling as unpatriotic or anti-American?

Yes, they did mishandle it. So have many governments. I've not once posted otherwise.

Would that have changed the outcome? Even with all this, it became a pandemic.

Mate, I've copped some racial abuse too because of this pandemic. God help me if I cough in public. Do I get some sympathy from you or a cop out that I don't understand it by mouthing off some generic platitudes?

Mate, I offer you my sympathy, as I do anyone in receipt of ignorant stereotyping and racial abuse.

Just to clarify, this was the physical assault of a woman in her 60's, not just verbal abuse. Defend the thinking that drives that as you will.

Emotional diatribe.

It's nonsense to blame a nation for the mutation of a virus.

If the spread of this virus was so easily contained, why haven't nations armed with mountains of data, a full genome sequence and months of warning been able to prevent it's spread in their own borders? Yours is an unrealistic expectation.

Please do not defend China. It’s embarrassing.

Yes, they did mishandle it. So have many governments. I've not once posted otherwise.

Would that have changed the outcome? Even with all this, it became a pandemic.

In actuality if we had to apportion blame I'd heap a fair bit of it on the WHO as they consistently downplayed it (perhaps due to Chinese fudging numbers and reports on it, amongst other things), but there is only one place where it could have been controlled at the beginning. Obviously too late now but we wouldn't have been in this situation (imo) if the outbreak was in a place with free and fearless reporting of information.

Mate, I offer you my sympathy, as I do anyone in receipt of ignorant stereotyping and racial abuse.

Just to clarify, this was the physical assault of a woman in her 60's, not just verbal abuse. Defend the thinking that drives that as you will.

Racial abuse is bad mmmkay?

My mother has also copped it. Not physically as far as I know. But we are both pretty content to keep being critical of the PRC and its propaganda and censorship machine that is unparalleled in the world today. If that makes us racist, so be it.

The new case stats for today for the Eastern States and the ACT are in.

They all report at Midday (so I've finally realised) so there won't be any increases for those States for the 5th of April

Although WA, SA and NT are still to come, it looks very likely that the National figure for today will come in substantially lower (again) than yesterday

NSW, VIC , QLD, TAS and ACT combined totals for today = 117 vs yesterday = 163.

Not wanting to go the early crow but the trend is looking very encouraging

EDIT: For those looking at the Worldometer site, the reason the New Cases for Australia always differs to the above two sites is because of timing issues with the receipt of data. The Wordometer closes off and resets at 0.00 GMT or 10am AEST

Last edited:
In actuality if we had to apportion blame I'd heap a fair bit of it on the WHO as they consistently downplayed it (perhaps due to Chinese fudging numbers and reports on it, amongst other things), but there is only one place where it could have been controlled at the beginning. Obviously too late now but we wouldn't have been in this situation (imo) if the outbreak was in a place with free and fearless reporting of information.

Racial abuse is bad mmmkay?

My mother has also copped it. Not physically as far as I know. But we are both pretty content to keep being critical of the PRC and its propaganda and censorship machine that is unparalleled in the world today. If that makes us racist, so be it.

As I said, render unto Caesar … I've no issue with the CCP copping criticism for what they've done wrong. It would probably spin a few heads that they also deserve praise for what they've right, but dichotomous thinking abounds in this thread. It's when people start blaming an entire nation of people, race of people, or blaming the country for consequences beyond its action, I'll speak up.

Supporting people who take such ubiquitous viewpoints makes you an enabler, at best.

I don't think blaming China for its handling of the initial outbreak and criticising the US response are mutually exclusive. You can legitimately do both, but you err on the side of defending China and shifting more blame onto Europe and the US, from what you've posted in this thread.

Racial abuse is not acceptable no matter what the scenario even if you do buy into the nutjob theories that the Chinese bio-engineered and released it into the Western countries, so I do feel empathy there for your friend's mother - but I believe we have to keep hammering away at the PRC's liability here even if there is little chance they would ever be successfully prosecuted for it.

Did you work in China? Or have many Chinese friends? Genuine questions, apologies if it comes off as being snarky.
Plenty of blame to go around, but the Chinese are being used as scapegoats imop, and we would have had the current situation regardless.

The US in particular didn't take the measures it needed to until after it was an issue in the US.

This was well after the world was aware.

With Trump in charge, that would always be the case. If China had revealed info sooner, the US would have acted when it was a problem in the US, is, to late.

Italy knew, but acted like it was just the flu, until it was to late.

I would blame WHO as much as anybody.

They took Chinese mis info and gave it legitimacy.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

As I said, render unto Caesar … I've no issue with the CCP copping criticism for what they've done wrong. It would probably spin a few heads that they also deserve praise for what they've right, but dichotomous thinking abounds in this thread. It's when people start blaming an entire nation of people, race of people, or blaming the country for consequences beyond its action, I'll speak up.

Supporting people who take such ubiquitous viewpoints makes you an enabler, at best.

Probably the first post I completely agree with. Plenty of good people in the PRC that don't buy the propaganda wholesale and just want to make a decent living for themselves and their family. They are the ones that suffer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please do not defend China. It’s embarrassing.

Will probably justify the bulk buying of baby formula sold here and being sent back to China as "the poor Chinese families who have had to deal with tampered milk on multiple occasions." stuff Aussie families and child care centres who can't buy a can because of these organised groups of hoarders regularly depleting stock meant to be used in Australia.

Read much of monkey's posts on the CCP and you'd think they're the saviours of the planet.

Will probably justify the bulk buying of baby formula sold here and being sent back to China as "the poor Chinese families who have had to deal with tampered milk on multiple occasions." stuff Aussie families and child care centres who can't buy a can because of these organised groups of hoarders regularly depleting stock meant to be used in Australia.

Read much of monkey's posts on the CCP and you'd think they're the saviours of the planet.

- Sending products we need here to survive to the place that started it.
- keeping wet markets open (ironic)
- Lying about deaths
- covering up the disease at the start.

Need I continue?

The new case stats for today for the Eastern States and the ACT are in.

They all report at Midday (so I've finally realised) so there won't be any increases for those States for the 5th of April

Although WA, SA and NT are still to come, it looks very likely that the National figure for today will come in substantially lower (again) than yesterday

NSW, VIC , QLD, TAS and ACT combined totals for today = 117 vs yesterday = 163.

Not wanting to go the early crow but the trend is looking very encouraging

EDIT: For those looking at the Worldometer site, the reason the New Cases for Australia always differs to the above two sites is because of timing issues with the receipt of data. The Wordometer closes off and resets at 0.00 GMT or 10am AEST

That is good for now, but the main issue is going to be through our winter.

Points I was making a few weeks back when you were convinced that Australia was on the same arc as european countries

1. The vast majority of Australian cases were from international sources - directly or indirectly
2. Compulsory 14 day quarantine for all international arrivals stemmed the main source
3. Even with targeted testing, there was no evidence of widespread community transmission. It would show up in severe and critical cases if it were

It now seems like there is a decent amount of community transmission. Hopefully the level of social distancing will help us avoid that breaking out. I've get less confidence in our governments being able to implement a strategy to target community transmission and route it out

I'm happy to be wrong, but I don't think I've seen any graphs where Australia was not on the same arc as Italy, Spain, US etc. in the early phase.
We've done a good job. Testing criteria are being expanded so there may be a spike but hopefully those cases are managed more rapidly and overall we continue our slower trajectory.

We instituted measures at the right point, and now we've had success.

Looking at any graph of COVID cases and we're carving out a middle road between the quick countries (Japan, Korea) and the slower and more impacted countries (of which there are many!). eg. see attached graph.

Attachments

• covid-confirmed-cases-since-100th-case.png
    covid-confirmed-cases-since-100th-case.png
    570.6 KB · Views: 49
Except no one is blaming the country they are blaming the government of that country, it is you who is twisting it to suit your agenda here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back