10k Posts Podcaster
Sep 16, 2009
essendonkey
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MANCHESTER UNITED
Hang on a minute??
Melbourne costs more to live in than Adelaide, so why don't Melbourne clubs receive a "Cost of living" allowance in their salary cap??

Obviously its because the "Cost of living" allowance has nothing to do with the cost of rent in Sydney. The cost of living is utterly irrelevant. The reason they get the extra million bucks is to ensure their success.
Thats why the Lions lost their "Cost of living" allowance after three flags.

The truth is the swans just cant make a go of it on a level playing field and so they need charity in the form of the rules being bent.

The swans are nothing more than AFL endorsed cheats.

Now I have been saying this for many years so its nothing to do with the Grand final loss.

I was quite happy for my Dads team to win one. RIP Dad.

However the Swans have been guilty of sheer, unadulterated arrogance in the pursuit of Tippet. Rubbing other clubs noses in it.

The cost of living undermines the integrity of the salary cap and therefore the competition.
Does the AFL leadership lack the courage to "Level the playing field" as its fears the Swans bottoming out?

How long will the AFL endorse this inequity between the clubs?

Brisbane never had a COL allowance. They had extra room in the cap from a rule that was available to all 16 clubs at the time, where if less than 20% (IIRC) of your list was non-local, you got extra cap room, to mitigate the 'go-home' factor.

All Salary Caps are inequitable - Freo and WCE get screwed royally. Money illusion is alive and well.

My favourite part was the "hang on a minute" after this exact argument has been brought up around 500 times in the last few weeks ... but OP just thought of it.

If you want to discuss it logically, Swans fans will be happy to but as has been pointed out, huge errors show that you haven't really looked into it and don't understand it. Get back to us when you have done some research.

The problem for Brisbane was the they lost their draft concessions. With no junior development in the state and a crappy reserves comp, how can they attract young players without assistance. No one wants to answer these inequities between the traditional AFL states and League states, but the difference is still 100 years of development. Hawthorn are just poor losers really, with Jeffy at the top of the list, cry on my shoulder kids

Hang on a minute??
Melbourne costs more to live in than Adelaide, so why don't Melbourne clubs receive a "Cost of living" allowance in their salary cap??

Obviously its because the "Cost of living" allowance has nothing to do with the cost of rent in Sydney. The cost of living is utterly irrelevant. The reason they get the extra million bucks is to ensure their success.

The truth is the swans just cant make a go of it on a level playing field and so they need charity in the form of the rules being bent.

Now I have been saying this for many years so its nothing to do with the Grand final loss.

However the Swans have been guilty of sheer, unadulterated arrogance in the pursuit of Tippet. Rubbing other clubs noses in it.

The cost of living undermines the integrity of the salary cap and therefore the competition.
Does the AFL leadership lack the courage to "Level the playing field" as its fears the Swans bottoming out?

Considering the Adelaide exodus, im saying that cost of living has little to nothing to do with players choices when it comes to what city to reside in. If anything we should get salary cap concessions for Adelaide being a boring place to live.

The old 'we took roughead with the PP' argument. The extra pick gave you the second player. The second player was Buddy.

We wanted Buddy first, but chose Roughead because Richmond were going to snaffle him up before us, the Hawks knowing that Buddy would still be available at pick 5. Was a gamble but it worked.
Without the priority system the Hawks would have chosen Buddy, Roughead would be somewhere else.

Hang on a minute??

Can't argue with this. Cost of living indexes are calculated primarily on living necessities such as public transport, food, rent etc. In Sydney, the rent that is factored in to the CoL calculation makes it appear so far out of whack compared to other cities. But other factors such as food and public transport are pretty much equal with other major cities. In fact, I think the cost of food in Adelaide is actually higher than in Sydney.

Given AFL players are on a great wage to begin with and all seem to have purchased a property within the first couple of years of being in the AFL system then it's absolute bullshit if you believe that players in Sydney have higher CoL expenses.

We wanted Buddy first, but chose Roughead because Richmond were going to snaffle him up before us, the Hawks knowing that Buddy would still be available at pick 5. Was a gamble but it worked.
Without the priority system the Hawks would have chosen Buddy, Roughead would be somewhere else.
Facts > spin

My favourite part was the "hang on a minute" after this exact argument has been brought up around 500 times in the last few weeks ... but OP just thought of it.

If you want to discuss it logically, Swans fans will be happy to but as has been pointed out, huge errors show that you haven't really looked into it and don't understand it. Get back to us when you have done some research.
favourite part is sydney fan getting personal straight away due to this being true that sydney are basically cheats.

The sydney spin on this issue is a joke. So you can present some facts and stop embarrassing yourself anytime your ready :oops:

favourite part is sydney fan getting personal straight away due to this being true that sydney are basically cheats.

The sydney spin on this issue is a joke. So you can present some facts and stop embarrassing yourself anytime your ready :oops:

Only one person embarrassing themselves here. BTW, the blu-ray version of the Grand Final is scheduled to come out tomorrow. You picking up a copy?

I haven't been to South Australia in years but I was in Melbourne as recently as August and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Perth.

Given we've lost Judd to Carlton, McKinley to North, Ebert to Port and now Stevens to Footscray it seems a formality that we will be given a 'cost of living allowance'.

:)

Last year the Swans paid about $140k less than the Hawks. Reckon they made up that 140 over the off-season?
Hawthorn $8,159,702
Sydney Swans $8,017,433

What's more, why didn't you drop this bomb pre-GF when you were shitcanning Sydney for a lack of talent?

Back