Price of attending AFL games at Optus Stadium significantly higher than MCG as cost of living hits families

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

With huge memberships filling the majority of Optus Stadium, both the Eagles and Dockers require non-members to buy reserved seats to attend.

West Coast’s cheapest general public reserved seats will cost $57 and prices will rise to $101 for the most expensive. Fremantle’s cheapest general public reserved seat will be $38.

Tickets in South Australia are also more expensive than in Melbourne with Adelaide’s general admission price set at $40 and Port Adelaide charging $35.

West Coast aside, there's little or no difference between Optus/AO and MCG/Marvel when factoring in public transport and parking prices (Port Adelaide games would work out to be the cheapest in some cases).

West Coast aside, there's little or no difference between Optus/AO and MCG/Marvel when factoring in public transport and parking prices (Port Adelaide games would work out to be the cheapest in some cases).

That is a fair point, public transport is included in tickets to all Optus events.
Parking is expensive though at Optus cos there isn't much of it. Also bear in mind that $57 is the lowest category seat, the vast majority at Eagles games are $75+, so I wouldn't say there's little to no difference - what's the train cost in Melbourne, $10 at most? And that's if you bother paying, last time I used Richmond Station or the tram they just opened it up and nobody was scanning on.

The way this reads is that West Coast control all the seating at home games.
When the Stadium opened it was reported that 10,000 seats were reserved for the general public.

I have not been able to find anywhere that this arrangement has changed.

The term general public, just means they can’t be sold to the home team members. So they are available for sale to the general public, but you still have to get a reserved seat for the game. This allocation includes tickets for the away team members. These are still sold and controlled by the relevant home team.

Really this articles highlights the equity of attending AFL games and the difference between Melbourne vs Perth.

The issue the AFL will face, is the inability for lower income families (and more specifically kids) to attend AFL games. Potentially having these families instead of attending AFL they will attend A-League or Rugby Union as they are actually able to afford it.

The answer, could be for the AFL to promote West Australians to attend WAFL, in attempts to shepherd them away from the other sports.

Really this articles highlights the equity of attending AFL games and the difference between Melbourne vs Perth.

The issue the AFL will face, is the inability for lower income families (and more specifically kids) to attend AFL games. Potentially having these families instead of attending AFL they will attend A-League or Rugby Union as they are actually able to afford it.

The answer, could be for the AFL to promote West Australians to attend WAFL, in attempts to shepherd them away from the other sports.
It's not like other (major) sports are much cheaper. Ever looked at getting a ticket to the Wildcats?

It's not like other (major) sports are much cheaper. Ever looked at getting a ticket to the Wildcats?

Unfortunately I can’t source Perth Wildcats prices as their season just finished.

Western Force
Adult $39.68 Kid $15 Family4 $94.36

Perth Glory
Adult $32.50 Kid $17.50 Family4 $85

West Coast Fever
Adult $30 Kid $27 Family4 $99

So they are on par with Fremantle’s prices. Cheaper than Eagles prices. More than AFL in Melbourne.

But how many tickets are available at this price point for each team? Does the Perth AFL teams have 1,000 seats at this price point, or do they have 10,000 seats at this price point? Because if there is a small supply, some family’s may not get an opportunity to purchase at this price in the face of high demand.

Based off the membership seating maps:
  • West Coast Eagles seem to have about 1/12 of the capacity at this cheapest price point. 5,000 seats at Perth Stadium
  • Fremantle Dockers seem to have about 1/4 capacity at this price point. 15,000 seats at Perth Stadium

Based off the ticket purchase maps linked above:
  • Western Force is about 1/3 of the capacity is this price. 7,000 seats at Perth Oval
  • Perth Glory is about 3/4 of the capacity is this price. 15,000 seats at Perth Oval
  • West Coast Fever is about 1/4 of the capacity is this price or even less. 4,000 seats at Perth Arena

So at this time, Eagles are the premium priced product, whilst Fremantle Dockers are more affordable and compete with the other codes. However AFL prices in Perth certainly don’t provide the same opportunities as AFL prices in Melbourne.

The term general public, just means they can’t be sold to the home team members. So they are available for sale to the general public, but you still have to get a reserved seat for the game. This allocation includes tickets for the away team members. These are still sold and controlled by the relevant home team.

That is my understanding too. However I read the article to suggest the Eagles are selling them to their own members.
I have not seen any reports on how well the 10,000 seats plan is performing. The cynic in me has lead me to believe it is probably not as planned.

Unfortunately I can’t source Perth Wildcats prices as their season just finished.

Western Force
Adult $39.68 Kid $15 Family4 $94.36

Perth Glory
Adult $32.50 Kid $17.50 Family4 $85

West Coast Fever
Adult $30 Kid $27 Family4 $99

So they are on par with Fremantle’s prices. Cheaper than Eagles prices. More than AFL in Melbourne.

But how many tickets are available at this price point for each team? Does the Perth AFL teams have 1,000 seats at this price point, or do they have 10,000 seats at this price point? Because if there is a small supply, some family’s may not get an opportunity to purchase at this price in the face of high demand.

Based off the membership seating maps:
  • West Coast Eagles seem to have about 1/12 of the capacity at this cheapest price point. 5,000 seats at Perth Stadium
  • Fremantle Dockers seem to have about 1/4 capacity at this price point. 15,000 seats at Perth Stadium

Based off the ticket purchase maps linked above:
  • Western Force is about 1/3 of the capacity is this price. 7,000 seats at Perth Oval
  • Perth Glory is about 3/4 of the capacity is this price. 15,000 seats at Perth Oval
  • West Coast Fever is about 1/4 of the capacity is this price or even less. 4,000 seats at Perth Arena

So at this time, Eagles are the premium priced product, whilst Fremantle Dockers are more affordable and compete with the other codes. However AFL prices in Perth certainly don’t provide the same opportunities as AFL prices in Melbourne.

West Coast are an outlier in Australian sport. They're by far the most supported club across any sport in this country and can charge those prices and get away with it.

AFL prices in Melbourne are also an outlier, but the other way. They have a huge number of seats to sell and the clubs don't pay any rent for their stadiums. Combined with an extremely generous league distribution they can afford to charge low prices and get away with it. $25 for an adult is extremely rare across any professional sporting club.

Most AFL games in Melbourne cater for 'walk ups', very different to the Eagles seated membership.
Imho only Geelong shares the Eagles business model & I have little doubt Brian Cook will look to introduce it to Carlton if they can achieve sustained on field success.
Good comments. Cooky is a good operator and learnt the footy business at the mighty Eagles. There is still a lot of solid money in Perth with thousands of FIFO`s up North - However there are also patches of battlers/low income the same as anywhere else in Australia.
Will be very interesting to see how it all goes crowds wise at Optus this year. Likely Eagles loyalties will be tested in some households.
How about this Craig Vozzo at the Eagles for quite a while- Now at Essendon.

Most AFL games in Melbourne cater for 'walk ups', very different to the Eagles seated membership.
Imho only Geelong shares the Eagles business model & I have little doubt Brian Cook will look to introduce it to Carlton if they can achieve sustained on field success.

How does Carlton implement this model when a Carlton fan can walk up and attend 6-7 "Away" games for $25 each?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does Carlton implement this model when a Carlton fan can walk up and attend 6-7 "Away" games for $25 each?
Sell out the reserved seating is the first step. The Cats seating is a moving feast until the expansion down there is finished.

Away games will be a problem that the Eagles dont share.
Understanding how the 10,000 seats at home games reserved for the general public/visitors is an unknown to me.

We are getting closer to the biggest 4 teams being able to sell level M N & P as reserved seats for all MCG matches.

Once Collingwood lose their Ponsford Stand arrangement then the other clubs will have control of the Ponsford for all those home games.

Hard to market the benefits of a good reserved seat if you don't get it for one of the big games you really want it for.

Don't think it'll take too long for Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond & Essendon to fill out those reserved seats - even Hawthorn isn't that far off it either.

Once supporters realise it's the only way of getting a ticket on M N or P to their biggest 3 home matches every year then people there will be an uptake in reserved seats.

We are getting closer to the biggest 4 teams being able to sell level M N & P as reserved seats for all MCG matches.

Once Collingwood lose their Ponsford Stand arrangement then the other clubs will have control of the Ponsford for all those home games.

Hard to market the benefits of a good reserved seat if you don't get it for one of the big games you really want it for.

Don't think it'll take too long for Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond & Essendon to fill out those reserved seats - even Hawthorn isn't that far off it either.

Once supporters realise it's the only way of getting a ticket on M N or P to their biggest 3 home matches every year then people there will be an uptake in reserved seats.

Which bit(s) of the G seating accounted for the 10,000+ vacant seats on Thu & Fri night ?
Do we know the number of seats the clubs mentioned have for home games @ the MCG?

Which bit(s) of the G seating accounted for the 10,000+ vacant seats on Thu & Fri night ?
Do we know the number of seats the clubs mentioned have for home games @ the MCG?

Would of just been a combination of club members, afl members and mcc members not turning up...no?

And that's if you bother paying, last time I used Richmond Station or the tram they just opened it up and nobody was scanning on.
when was this? I use Richmond station every game and never seen the gates open.

Years ago now.....alas covid curtailed my footy tourism.

Maybe many years ago...

I remember such things as a lad and you had physical tickets that got manually checked, but certainly not in the myki era (and if I had to guess I'd say it changed when it got privatised - 1999).

The issue the AFL will face, is the inability for lower income families (and more specifically kids) to attend AFL games.

While they will pretend to care I dont think they really care at all. Their goal is to make as much money as possible and if rich people are willing to pay more then they make more money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back