Play Nice 2023 Non AFL (or lower league) Sports Industry Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I prefer this aid to an NRL team for PNG. At least at the moment.

That is who the Pacific tournament was aimed at—the people of the Pacific, not really for the Aussie audience.

I doubt anybody in the Pacific could care less except for maybe PNG and they are pulling a crowd of 14k in a 25k seat stadium (off a population of 11 million). They are apparently rugby league mad and starved of content though.

Let's call it for what it is, albo pushing the agenda of his favourite sport on Aussie tax payer dollars.

I doubt anybody in the Pacific could care less except for maybe PNG and they are pulling a crowd of 14k in a 25k seat stadium (off a population of 11 million). They are apparently rugby league mad and starved of content though.

Let's call it for what it is, albo pushing the agenda of his favourite sport on Aussie tax payer dollars.
25K.....wiki says it is 14.8K. But they wouldn't have the ticket systems we have.

Port Moresby has a population of 700K. 90% of the population of PNG lives in rural areas and some of the most isolated places in the world. So, I have no idea why you think the PNG population total matters here.

It is aid. It getting a cultural affinity with our closet neighbour. It has little to do with Albo's fav sport. That is just a vehicle towards that goal

25K.....wiki says it is 14.8K. But they wouldn't have the ticket systems we have.

Port Moresby has a population of 700K. 90% of the population of PNG lives in rural areas and some of the most isolated places in the world. So, I have no idea why you think the PNG population total matters here.

I saw the game on tv today, the stadium was about half full and yes it has 25k seats, so gloating about it is a strange take, even for you.

I saw the game on tv today, the stadium was about half full and yes it has 25k seats, so gloating about it is a strange take, even for you.

15K!!!!!!

Half full.....

I am not gloating. I don't even like Rugby League. But you dont need a doctrine in international politics to know what is going on here or the fact you keep missing points

It is aid.

Aid is something that helps somebody.
It getting a cultural affinity with our closet neighbour.

I don't feel any closer.

It has little to do with Albo's fav sport.

I've got this harbour bridge for sale if you're interested.

That is just a vehicle towards that goal.

No, real aid like food, education, policing is real aid.
I hear Albanese is sending an NRL team to Gaza to aid there.
It will be a state-of-demolition series.

Aid is something that helps somebody.

I don't feel any closer.

I've got this harbour bridge for sale if you're interested.

No, real aid like food, education, policing is real aid.
I hear Albanese is sending an NRL team to Gaza to aid there.
It will be a state-of-demolition series.
We send 450mil a year to PNG in Food and medical aid.

"Two things only the people anxiously desire — bread and circuses.”
Roman Quote

15K!!!!!!

Half full.....

I am not gloating. I don't even like Rugby League. But you dont need a doctrine in international politics to know what is going on here or the fact you keep missing points

I did only see the part where the Fiji team were singing right before the game and it had big slabs of empty seats, looks like it did fill up but I didn't watch the whole game like you did.

On the capacity my leaguie mate told me it was 25k and this site says so (I think), but if it's full and they are saying 14k or whatever it makes sense it would only be 15k capacity. PNG National Football Stadium - Populous

The good thing is though, China will be deterred from their incursion into png because they got 14k to a game of rugby league between png and Fiji funded by Aussie tax payers. I get that side of your argument 😅

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't feel any closer.
Me Me Me Fainting GIF by Archie Comics

Someone get her the smelling salts!

I'm glad the Australian tax payer is footing the bill for Albo's Pacific tournament, seems like a real hit.

Just a note on the politics. Whether we agree with the policy or not, the current government cannot take credit for rugby league being used as a tool in foreign affairs. Indeed, Scott Morrison was much more hands on than Anthony Albanese.

PM's XIII v Fiji: Curtis Scott injury the only bad news in big win (smh.com.au)

But the best moment was when the Prime Minister himself, Scott Morrison, appeared on the sideline in the third quarter and decided to run the water for the players after Gutherson's third try.

The PM then continued the good work when he handed Paul Momirovski a kicking tee.

Meninga said of seeing a bare-footed Morrison run the water: "I'm just glad there was nothing he could cut his feet on. But how fantastic for us to have our prime minister engage in our sport. Why can't our PM get his shoes off and run on to the footy field? He holds our highest position in Australian society, but he's also a normal human being who loves rugby league, and it's great he shows he does.''

The whole idea of the PM's XIII game was to build relations between Australia and their Pacific neighbours.

"Rugby league in Fiji is on the rise, there's a lot of interest. It's great to see the connection between our countries,'' Morrison said.
https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.251,$multiply_0.6988,$ratio_1.776846,$width_1059,$x_0,$y_73/t_crop_custom/q_86,f_auto/aec9310847c5a93dd47d782e4e52349335971261

In short, Scotty mightn't have held a hose, but he did hold a water bottle.

Just a note on the politics. Whether we agree with the policy or not, the current government cannot take credit for rugby league being used as a tool in foreign affairs. Indeed, Scott Morrison was much more hands on than Anthony Albanese.

PM's XIII v Fiji: Curtis Scott injury the only bad news in big win (smh.com.au)

https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.251,$multiply_0.6988,$ratio_1.776846,$width_1059,$x_0,$y_73/t_crop_custom/q_86,f_auto/aec9310847c5a93dd47d782e4e52349335971261

In short, Scotty mightn't have held a hose, but he did hold a water bottle.

Fair enough, I didn't particularly rate Morrison either.

However, I'd say a p.m's 11 game would cost a lot less than:
  • a whole Pacific tournament
  • taking the head of the NRL to the white house, looking like a sleazebag in a blue suit to meet Joe Biden
and

- 600 million in loose change to create a new nrl team at zero cost to the private league called the nrl.

Last edited:
Fair enough, I didn't particularly rate Morrison either.

However, I'd say a p.m's 11 game would cost a lot less than:
  • a whole Pacific tournament
  • taking the head of the NRL to the white house, looking like a sleazebag in a blue suit to meet Joe Biden
and
- 600 million in loose change to create a new nrl team at zero cost to the private league called the nrl.
Could not have said it better myself the bogan V'Landys looked all of the sleazy carpetbagger salesman he is!

No wonder the Sydney media lap him up as he personifies RL and the city in general!

Melbourne Cup day might be up 15% from last year, but IIRC, last year it was rainy and cold. Not sure that growth indicates anything. Steady would be the word I would use.

2010 = 110,223
2011 = 105,979
2012 = 106,162
2013 = 104,169
2014 = 100,794
2015 = 101,015
2016 = 97,479
2017 = 90,536
2018 = 83,471
2019 = 81,408
2022 = 73,816
2023 = 84,492

The Melbourne Cup is a good example of an event that shows that events by themselves are quite meaningless.
Seemingly, crowds are up but interest is down and from what I can glean the horse racing industry, despite a tsunami
of betting advertising has long term problems.
The numerous betting apps and adds means there's plenty of money in the sport. But the amount of content available off-course means less people are less likely to go. Why go when you can bet on it and watch it at home for free? You couldn't do that in 2006.

Those crowds were too big, you couldn't get anything done on-course to bet, drink, wee or watch a race. Anything bigger than 90k and it gets too big to enjoy.

But pre-2010 there weren't many other options other than attending.

Still plenty of money sloshing around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back