MRP / Trib. Cotchin & Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

Common sense says they get rubbed out. The afl have to be consistent whether you agree with the rule or not. Personally I'd like to see both play. The grand final should be with 2 full strength teams but to say that you hope common sense prevails and they get off is a bit laughable

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cotchin definitely has no case to answer, he was low in the contest and rolled over the footy (shields was tentative in that contest which made it look worst). Football is a contact game and to me it's play on exactly how the umpire ruled it

Wasn't much in ellis contact I think he may cop a fine at most.

Astbury has no case to answer

Whose to say shields didn't cop a knock in the warm up bloody hell. Talk about slow media

What I struggle with,is the penalty appears dependent on the impact to the player (ie concussed or not). The penalty should be judged on the action... it is not illegal to go hard and contest for the ball ... Buddy goes 2 metres past the ball irons out Shedda play on, no issue, no concussion, Cotchin goes for the ball incidental (to be proven "delayed concussion") off to the MRP....seems AFL is always trying to manage the outcome, not the game...

Sent from over here.

The bump happened very close to where we were sitting. Shiel's first action was to grab hold of his forearm and shoulder. He didn't throw his head back like Selwood trying to milk a free. It appeared he had a "stinger" on his elbow more than any form of concussion. He got up, moved his arm and shoulder around and was involved in a passage of play that clearly was done without any form of concussion. No free kick was paid to either player. All Cotchin has to do today is go to the club doctor and fail a concussion test. Does that make Shiel's actions the cause of the head high contact ? Common sense should prevail.

The afl will likely let cotch off, fine ellis, as they have already taken our jumper away. That will be their reasoning, flawed even if a good result overall.
In a transparent world, the firsy 2 things happen AND both gf clubs get to play in their home shirts as we all know there is no ******* clash.

Stolen from main board.
Yeah it seemed strange that straight after the Cotchin contest, Shiel was up and about and had a couple kicks inside 50, then the concussion gets blamed on cotch. Was at the game and didn't seem much in it, didn't even notice the ellis one. Grimes late one on himmelberg looked worse

Common sense says they get rubbed out. The afl have to be consistent whether you agree with the rule or not. Personally I'd like to see both play. The grand final should be with 2 full strength teams but to say that you hope common sense prevails and they get off is a bit laughable

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Barry Hall and Andrew Dunkley say Hi.

Weirdly I'm not too worried about what the MRP will decide in regards to Cotchin and Ellis. I think Cotch will be cleared and Ellis will probably get an early plea fine. Even if they suspend Cotch you can bet our team of lawyers will be chomping at the bit to get our captain courageous cleared.

Neutral observer- I think Cotch will get off. Ellis in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL tends to bend the rules to ensure the best players are in the GF, and there is enough wiggle room with Cotchin that he's sure to get off.
Ellis will be a bit tougher, and they might rub him out in order to make it look like they're not rorting their own system, but I suspect he'll get a fine.

Also worth noting that even if the MRP gives a week, if there was ever an occasion to take it to the tribunal, or even the appeals tribunal, this would be it.
theyll do it on purpose for the theatre and publicity

The number 1 argument should be it is not a bump. If it is not a bump he can't be suspended because contact was incidental in a contested situation.

It looks like a bump only because Cotchin pulls his shoulder in but the alternative is that Cotchin goes low (gives away a free) or goes middle with arms out and head over the ball, very high chance of head clash in this instance. Pretty much what Cotch did was about all he could but just got Shiel high. Shiel doesn't grab his head though so contact can't even be assessed as low unless there is proof of a concussion which there isn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back