Cotchin's Leadership

Remove this Banner Ad

Not only was he our best player yesterday, but did anyone see after the match, he rounded up the group and had a few words. Usually I see Newman doing this, but it was great to see Cotchin do it. :thumbsu:

Is our next captain for sure...

totally agree with what you say, right now he would proably be better than our actual captain, should be there next year for sure. know he spends alot of time with cuz so i would say he stepped up yesterday and did a great job at it.

I couldn't believe how hard he worked yesterday both ways. It's an area which I was skeptical about but was most likely average in the past due to fitness.

He encompasses everything we need in a captain.

I think the work rate he put in to free up Deledio is also something we need within a captain going forward, however I thought Newmans effect especially early was very good yesterday, whenever he's questioned he stands up , just hope that's the basement level of committment we now see from him !

Definitely worked harder. Having more fitness and more importantly having confidence in his body to compete time and time again. Will get better each week. Wouldn't mind him having more of a spell up forward though don't want to much of a workload for the KID.

I can't see anyone else who would be a better captain on our list. Has it all. The question though is when should he be made captain? 2011, 2012 or later?

Most complete player we have in terms of realistic achieveable potential. Absolute gun in the making of the highest order. Without drawing any conclusions about recent commentary etc.. looks like he is being moulded as the next captain which would be a bad thing if reaches potential barring injury despite young.

It would be smart to make him captain if he can make the step with his ability and assuming he reaches levels anticipated he will be leading a group at a similar age that will be focusing on the premiership cup. So he would be a smart choice for RFC if he is suitable given current team development projections which look fantastic into the future!!

If he reaches his potential captaincy will help him stay at the club while being one of the premier players in the comp.

He looks a step too slow sometimes but how often does he evade an opposition player, it's amazing. Like, he doesn't have much difference between a sprint and a run like some players, he just works and works.

One contest he had out on the Great Southern Stand half back line and then ran diagonally across the ground and marked again. We were going to the Punt Road End but I'm not sure what quarter. It was a great little section of play to watch though.

I think in the interview he had on MMM that he mentioned that Cousins' experience was invaluable, especially in terms of gut running. Perhaps he's the only one really listening?

Don't want to say he'll be a future captain of the club because you just don't know what's around the corner. But, at the moment, he's the biggest shoe in imaginable.

I love watching him play.

Cotchin has football brains old style. He sees things on the field in traffic better than most like a natural. Hopefully he can show the rest. I think he has a step but he has a great leap to . The boy could be very very good while keeping things low key. I hope he gets his body right and if he can gut run like Cousins look out. Apart from Lids , who IMO should be rotating through the forward line and soon Martin, the is plenty reason to go to the footy and watch the Cotch play!!

Cotchin played on Cooney most of his time in midfield, Cooney was BOG and slaughtered us, so I wouldn't be carrying on too much about how hard he's working both ways or how amazing his workrate is.

I liked his game it was an encouraging effort, but let's not pretend his direct opponent hasn't absolutely killed us two weeks running.

As for captaincy potential, there's definitely a lot there but I'd like to see him given that opportunity quite a few years down the track rather than in his very early 20's - which doesn't mean he can't be a leader in the meantime, we sure could use a few more.

Cotchin played on Cooney most of his time in midfield, Cooney was BOG and slaughtered us, so I wouldn't be carrying on too much about how hard he's working both ways or how amazing his workrate is.

I liked his game it was an encouraging effort, but let's not pretend his direct opponent hasn't absolutely killed us two weeks running.

As for captaincy potential, there's definitely a lot there but I'd like to see him given that opportunity quite a few years down the track rather than in his very early 20's - which doesn't mean he can't be a leader in the meantime, we sure could use a few more.

No he didn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cotchin played head to head with Cooney, and whilst Cooney had a good game (Gilbee was best on ground for sure), Cotchin was very influential going the other way. 22 possessions, 7 marks and 4 tackles isnt bad for a 19 year old kid playing on a Brownlow Medalist.

Will be an absolute gun. :thumbsu:

No he didn't !!

Ok we all know the tigers are going to get spanked 90% of the time this yr, but I urge all you fans to turn up to as many games possible and stay to the end. I mean I'm wrapped I was there on Sunday sitting in the afl members. I sat beside libba and his new mrs- not a bad sort! Also in a box behind us were all the young cubs pens and paper in hand. I think the coaching staff had them asses certain players who they're competing with for a spot in the starting 22. I'm just glad I saw cotch show his potential and Martin kick his first of many goals, each week there will be a glimpse from a cub. Who 's next..... That's what this yrs all about!!!

No he didn't.

We rotated our mids' opponents frequently, but Cotchin spent a heap of time running with Cooney. Deledio mostly would start with him in the centre square, Cotchin often started outside the square on the wing (especially early) heading directly at Cooney to shut him down (which he actually did manage a couple of times), then ran with him. Much later in the game when Cotchin couldn't go with Cooney anymore, they played wide of one another. We briefly tried getting Thomson to run with Cooney early but he got flogged (when Cooney wasn't 5m clear of him he would just walk through Thomson's tackles) and he was killing us so we switched back to Cotchin.

Jackson and Boyd generally went head to head, Thomson got smashed by everyone in turn but Cross mostly, Deledio was tagged outside the centre square a fair bit, but did spend a bit of time on Cooney all up, though it was more often at static situations than covering the ground alongside him.

One of my jobs takes three hours and all but 15 minutes of it is sitting around waiting. I either take the guitar or the computer, and I've spent about five and a half hours looking solely at our midfield over the last two days, I've been through every clearance in the game in slow motion a few times...I know the match pretty well.

You or Slow2burn are welcome to have a crack at explaining *what really happened* if you think I'm off the mark. :thumbsu:

Cotchin played head to head with Cooney, and whilst Cooney had a good game (Gilbee was best on ground for sure), Cotchin was very influential going the other way. 22 possessions, 7 marks and 4 tackles isnt bad for a 19 year old kid playing on a Brownlow Medalist.

Will be an absolute gun. :thumbsu:

I thought Cooney was better than Gilbee, he had so much scoreboard impact (more than the winning margin IMO) and I thought he used the ball just as well.

I wouldn't say Cotchin was very influential, if Gilbee and Cooney were rated a 9 and a 9.5, Cotchin was maybe a 5.5 at best in direct comparison - which is very good considering how great they were.

He's coming along fine for his age, there was a big difference between the way he moved in rd.1 and Sunday's game, so with a bit of luck he continues to gain fitness and form and can get a full season in.

I remember saying to a mate after Cotchin's first few games that he'll be better than Judd one day. It's a big call but I haven't changed my mind. I'd never seen a player that young excel in so many facets of the game. He's the total package.

Once he hits that 40-50 game mark he'll tear the competition apart.

I remember saying to a mate after Cotchin's first few games that he'll be better than Judd one day. It's a big call but I haven't changed my mind. I'd never seen a player that young excel in so many facets of the game. He's the total package.

Once he hits that 40-50 game mark he'll tear the competition apart.

He's no Edward Barlow...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back