Could Tim Kelly become the GOAT?

Could Tim Kelly become the greatest player of all time?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Except that players get better over time... Not worse. Bigger stronger faster better skills more composure the list goes on and on.
Except current day players flaws are protected by the systems of modern day football where it's all about zones and team defense. If they went back to 1v1 football where players actually had positions and stayed in them and had space to do their thing they would get cut to shreds.

Considering where he has come from he is doing very well, last week someone said his total in the
coaches votes was the third highest ever to that point in the season.

Hopefully he does not read bigfooty and he can stay grounded and let his footy do the talking.

This bloke has greatest player of all time potential written all over him - and his 2019 could go down as the greatest season ever by an individual.

This year - he is a good chance to sweep the MVP, Brownlow and Norm Smith as well as become a premiership player.

Is there a chance that he could become the greatest player to ever play the game?
If he avoids joining West Coast and remains with Geelong he will become one of the best players of the past ten years, but he is light years away from being a GOAT.

Yep. You're delusional

Hurr durr things were better back in my day because... they just were !!

Let's forget the fact that players improve over time, the player pool has increased, coaching and tactics have improved out of sight.. lets ignore everything because the "gut feeling" (nostalgia) says players from the 80s are better than modern players. It's funny how uncomfortable people become when "their" era isn't seen as the best anymore.

Delusional indeed.

Hurr durr things were better back in my day because... they just were !!

Let's forget the fact that players improve over time, the player pool has increased, coaching and tactics have improved out of sight.. lets ignore everything because the "gut feeling" (nostalgia) says players from the 80s are better than modern players. It's funny how uncomfortable people become when "their" era isn't seen as the best anymore.

Delusional indeed.
Mate, Carey was a generational player in an era that had a few of them. He'd have kicked a 1,000 goals with today's rules. He was simply a champion and the 3rd best player I've seen in my lifetime. I take it you were born after he retired or you're deliberately being daft.

The Carey's, Lockett, Ablett's, Lloyd's and Dunstall's of the world would break Fred Fanning's record weekly given the rules in place in the current game. They were manhandled and scragged weekly and still managed to kick century goals yearly. Records would be off the charts in this climate.

Mate, Carey was a generational player in an era that had a few of them. He'd have kicked a 1,000 goals with today's rules. He was simply a champion and the 3rd best player I've seen in my lifetime. I take it you were born after he retired or you're deliberately being daft.

The Carey's, Lockett, Ablett's, Lloyd's and Dunstall's of the world would break Fred Fanning's record weekly given the rules in place in the current game. They were manhandled and scragged weekly and still managed to kick century goals yearly. Records would be off the charts in this climate.

With todays defensive structures none of those blokes would kick as many goals as they did in their own eras. Not to mention they'd be up against blokes about 5 cm taller on average. The rule changes doesn't make that big of a deal and they would probably give away frees against when they tried to use their strength. There's a reason that nobody kicks 100 goals anymore and its not because all forwards in the game are miles less talented than in the 90s.

This bloke has greatest player of all time potential written all over him - and his 2019 could go down as the greatest season ever by an individual.

This year - he is a good chance to sweep the MVP, Brownlow and Norm Smith as well as become a premiership player.

Is there a chance that he could become the greatest player to ever play the game?
What a dumb thread :$

With todays defensive structures none of those blokes would kick as many goals as they did in their own eras. Not to mention they'd be up against blokes about 5 cm taller on average. The rule changes doesn't make that big of a deal and they would probably give away frees against when they tried to use their strength. There's a reason that nobody kicks 100 goals anymore and its not because all forwards in the game are miles less talented than in the 90s.
Mate if Jeremy Cameron is winning the Coleman race it tells me all I need to know. Blokes like Frawley, Langford and co would have kicked him back to the NEAFL.

Ablett snr would kick 160 goals a season in this current mess where touching someone is almost illegal.

Yep, clearly better than Leigh Matthews. That game a few weeks back where Kelly kicked 9 goals and had 30+ possessions made me feel like I was watching Leigh all over again. Plus, he’s tough - puts the fear of god into his opponent’s when he attacks the contest...

Why did skills get worse over time?

Do you realise modern players are under 10 times the pressure of players from the past?
For sure re pressure and lack of space.

But the game has changed now where ability of players to run all day now has a premium over skills.
Those athletes now getting games when half of them cant even kick on their non preferred.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he wins a brownlow in his 2nd year hes on the right track. But that being said, there are players who have won it in their first year and they arent even close

Only if he stays at Geelong! :)
Seriously he's Brilliant and could potentially become the greatest in this current era! I just love his ability to pick up the ball from ground at full pace almost perfectly every time.

Don't know how he slipped through the cracks for so many years what a Gem he's been.
lol

He is surrounded by three of the greatest players of the past 20 years at Geelong and his entry into AFL football has been made a lot easier than it might well have been otherwise... Nobody really knew whpo he was when selected in the draft and obviosuly the WA teams didn't think much of him. Tucked away down at Geelong he has has blossomed and caught oppsosition teams pondering "who do we tag now'? When he returns home after what will probably be the biggest trade of all time, the focus and all the attention will be on him and that will be interesting. He will be subjected to new pressures and expectations, he seems like a well grounded young man, but how will his temperement handle what surely will be a media circus at the end of they year? One of the WA teams will have to give up plenty to get him, it's going to be a mad scramble between Freo and the Eagles. I wish he would just stay at Geelong for at least another two years. He would be far better off in the end.

He is surrounded by three of the greatest players of the past 20 years at Geelong and his entry into AFL football has been made a lot easier than it might well have been otherwise... Nobody really knew whpo he was when selected in the draft and obviosuly the WA teams didn't think much of him. Tucked away down at Geelong he has has blossomed and caught oppsosition teams pondering "who do we tag now'? When he returns home after what will probably be the biggest trade of all time, the focus and all the attention will be on him and that will be interesting. He will be subjected to new pressures and expectations, he seems like a well grounded young man, but how will his temperement handle what surely will be a media circus at the end of they year? One of the WA teams will have to give up plenty to get him, it's going to be a mad scramble between Freo and the Eagles. I wish he would just stay at Geelong for at least another two years. He would be far better off in the end.
LOL...your so FOS you probably believe the crap you write.

Rate him highly, reminds me of Andrew McLeod...just cruises through packs, never fumbles in wet or dry and can accelerate at a click.

I'm sure a midfield of Yeo, Shuey, Sheed, Kelly, Gaff and Redden would be an opposition coaches nightmare.
Would still prefer Coniglio over Kelly though.

Back