Cousins or Carr....??

Remove this Banner Ad

240volt is way off target with that claim....
Yep, pretty much the articles from which I quoted the snippets in my post above above;

.... Fremantle, who offered Carr a contract extension earlier in the year ...... coach Mark Harvey has declared that Josh Carr was a required player at the club ..... Carr's decision to leave Fremantle was a bitter blow to the Dockers ........

Everyone is a required player if you read the press releases put out by the clubs, Farmer was required right up untill he got the chop.
We have done Fremantle a big favor sadly:thumbsdown:

.....Farmer was required right up until he got the chop.....
No he wasn't. He was a player who received a couple of very public warnings and was almost sacked during his last contract. He was internally supended for a period during that time.

Everyone is a required player if you read the press releases put out by the clubs ......
Are you saying that Freo lied when they said they had offered a contract extension to Carr? Strange Carr didn't expose that lie when Freo were heaping shyte on him for "defecting" to Port :rolleyes:

No he wasn't. He was a player who received a couple of very public warnings and was almost sacked during his last contract. He was internally supended for a period during that time.
Yes he was according to Mark Harvey who said on 6PR 2 days before Farmer was told he was not required next year THAT ALL OUR PLAYING GROUP ARE REQUIRED UNTILL WE HAVE OUR END OF SEASON REVIEW.:thumbsu:

Are you saying that Freo lied when they said they had offered a contract extension to Carr? Strange Carr didn't expose that lie when Freo were heaping shyte on him for "defecting" to Port :rolleyes:
From what i was told by members that are close to the club was Carr was only a 50/50 chance to be kept on in 2009,he would struggle to make the Dockers side if they had a full list to choose from, if he can make our 22 this year for more than a handfull of games then we will be scraping the bottom with Melbourne:rolleyes:

Yes he was according to Mark Harvey who said on 6PR 2 days before Farmer was told he was not required next year THAT ALL OUR PLAYING GROUP ARE REQUIRED UNTIL WE HAVE OUR END OF SEASON REVIEW.
If you interpret that as '... Everyone is a required player ...' then I just don't know where we go with this. Required player in the context Carr was referred to as was as a leader/key player needed for 2009. Your quote above was simply the Freo coach saying he'd be talking to the players before talking to the media. Do you honestly think that on hearing Harvey the entire 2008 Freo team believed they were required for 2009?

From what i was told by members that are close to the club was Carr was only a 50/50 chance to be kept on in 2009,he would struggle to make the Dockers side if they had a full list to choose from, if he can make our 22 this year for more than a handfull of games then we will be scraping the bottom with Melbourne:rolleyes:

With no disrespect meant 240volt, but how much credibility should we put in " members that are close to the club" ?

Simple question would be, was he offered a contract or not? If he was, then I would believe that Freo viewed him as a "req'd player" rather than give credit to some members who are close to the club.

Hell I am a member and real close to the PAFC, doesn't mean we drafted Ziebel in the national draft, Cousins in the preseason or traded for Kerr.

From what i was told by members that are close to the club was Carr was only a 50/50 chance to be kept on in 2009,he would struggle to make the Dockers side if they had a full list to choose from....
That doesn't explain why he was offered a contract. If he was offered a contract then ipso facto he was 100% chance to be kept on as far as Freo were concerned.

Sorry to bring this up as I know the issue is done and dusted but after watching Cousins train for Richmond and the tigers apparently signing up 2,000 members yesterday why didnt we pick him up in the national draft?

Heard that the players and coach wanted him but the board and sponsors did not. I mean do our sponsors realise that we already have a player on our list who has tested positive on two seperate occasions. Another thing look at the free national publicity the tigers are recieving, you cant buy that type of stuff.

It is a situation where you have more to gain than lose. I mean if he does stuff up again (not that he has been ever tested positively) than you straight away put him on the long term injury list and then elavate a rookie.

I just cant believe the club would pass up the oppurtunity of drafting for free one of the greatest modern day players of all time.

I laugh at Haysmans comments on Monday when he said we dont wont that type of person at our club and we are a family club. Gees Haysman not every club is perfect and you are kidding yourself if he thinks we dont already have players on our list who have drug and alcohol problems.

Missed oppurtunity. Well done Tigers for having the guts at having a punt.

Sorry to bring this up as I know the issue is done and dusted but after watching Cousins train for Richmond and the tigers apparently signing up 2,000 members yesterday why didnt we pick him up in the national draft?.....
Are they new members that would not have signed up without the Tiges drafting Cousins?

It has been "proven" that Global Warming is actually caused by the decline in the number of pirates ;)

2K members at what, $100 a pop? If they are all members that would not have joined up otherwise then that still wouldn't even cover the loss of a major sponsor.

Richmond had 29,224 members in April 2008. Time will tell if Cousins has increased their membership.

.... Well done Tigers for having the guts at having a punt.
Yes, good luck Richmond.

Sorry to bring this up as I know the issue is done and dusted but after watching Cousins train for Richmond and the tigers apparently signing up 2,000 members yesterday why didnt we pick him up in the national draft?

Heard that the players and coach wanted him but the board and sponsors did not. I mean do our sponsors realise that we already have a player on our list who has tested positive on two seperate occasions. Another thing look at the free national publicity the tigers are recieving, you cant buy that type of stuff.

It is a situation where you have more to gain than lose. I mean if he does stuff up again (not that he has been ever tested positively) than you straight away put him on the long term injury list and then elavate a rookie.

I just cant believe the club would pass up the oppurtunity of drafting for free one of the greatest modern day players of all time.

I laugh at Haysmans comments on Monday when he said we dont wont that type of person at our club and we are a family club. Gees Haysman not every club is perfect and you are kidding yourself if he thinks we dont already have players on our list who have drug and alcohol problems.

agree 100%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wharfie (Graphic Designer & Economist), they had a stall outside of training to coincide with the unveiling of there newest star.

Add to the fact that there was a supporters revolt against the club on monday when they found out that the club would pass on cousins.

Wharfie do you think a CEO of a major corporate company would be pissed about not being able to cash in on all the exposure cousins is getting Australia wide?

Tigers have gone from a mediocre side to finals contenders (addition of Cousins), why wouldnt a supporter being excited about there future and not sign up cus of the drafting of Cousins?

Wharfie they would of made $200,000 off membership sales yesterday but lets say they would have service costs of $50,000 or even say $100,000. $100,000 in one day is more than we made yeaterday.

Cousins spoke really well at his presser IMO.

However can you be confident that he can stay on the straight and narrow? Can you be confident that he will remain physically sound?

Wharfie (Graphic Designer & Economist), they had a stall outside of training to coincide with the unveiling of there newest star.

Add to the fact that there was a supporters revolt against the club on monday when they found out that the club would pass on cousins.

Wharfie do you think a CEO of a major corporate company would be pissed about not being able to cash in on all the exposure cousins is getting Australia wide?

Tigers have gone from a mediocre side to finals contenders (addition of Cousins), why wouldnt a supporter being excited about there future and not sign up cus of the drafting of Cousins?

Wharfie they would of made $200,000 off membership sales yesterday but lets say they would have service costs of $50,000 or even say $100,000. $100,000 in one day is more than we made yeaterday.
I get your points but the fact is that unless these are members that would not have joined otherwise the club has gained nothing other than to bring forward their cash flow.

As I said above, time will tell.

Heard that the players and coach wanted him but the board and sponsors did not. I mean do our sponsors realise that we already have a player on our list who has tested positive on two seperate occasions.
There are many things that have annoyed me about this argument, but this is one of them that has annoyed me the most.

a. No player on our list has done anything close (in terms of affecting ones ability to play football at a high level) to the sorts of things Ben has admitted to and been rumored to have done. They are on different planets.

b. You simply cannot compare a player already on our list and in our system committing an offense to a possible recruitment of a player who has committed an offense. Completely different scenarios that require different management.

c. OK, we have players that have made bad life choices. How does that justify recruiting another one??????? FFS if anything it justification for NOT recruiting another one.

Another thing look at the free national publicity the tigers are recieving, you cant buy that type of stuff.
The day we make recruiting decisions based on "publicity" or "marketing" or "fashion statements" or anything else completely irrelevant is the day we know we have officially turned into the Crows Mach II.

It is a situation where you have more to gain than lose. I mean if he does stuff up again (not that he has been ever tested positively) than you straight away put him on the long term injury list and then elevate a rookie.
Along with the possible loss of sponsorships, AFL favour, public favour, list spot, opportunity for a youngster et al.

The negative most definitely outweigh the positives.

:confused:

See post above.

We'll see.

It has been "proven" that Global Warming is actually caused by the decline in the number of pirates
I have an anti-tiger pet rock on special for $99.99. As showcased by Lisa Simpson.

100% guaranteed to keep all Tigers away from your person.

I accept that both sides of this argument is opinion based but what is not opinion based is that Ben Cousins was the best player availiable this year and we chose to pass on him. Football is about making money (which we dont) and winning premierships (helps make money) and Ben would of helped us nearly become a complete team today instead we have to hope that a youngster will step up to his level to help us achieve another premiership.

Furthermore because he is such a great footballer ben brings with him more media coverage and exposure. Surely you would know Morrell fans and clubs want the best players at their club and not their purely for image or marketing.

Finally two wrongs dont make a right but Morell just like my argument you dont know if we would loose sponsorship and public favour (crowds are down anyway). We also would not give up a spot because you only get a spot if you earn one and if there is a rookie listed player better than Ben then im sure he would be elavated. Im sick of this talk of giving youngsters a spot for nothing, like everyone else let them earn their position and right to play AFL footy.

All I can say is I hope we make the top 4 this year and people can then have a go at me for being wrong but if we are average again this year there has to be a lot of finger pointing occuring.

As the orignator of this post....can we close it now that the answer is out there..........

I hope that I am wrong, but I think that we missed our chance to get that step closer to winning another premiership and that Ben will out perform Carr in the next two years. Like I said, I hope that I am wrong.

I would like to close by saying, welcome back Josh....welcome back.

And to think that we could have had Cousins as well............one can only wonder IF

Cousins spoke really well at his presser IMO.

How was Ricky Nixon's form? Is there any bigger w***er in the game in any context today. Supersedes even Adrian Anderson and Hutchy I reckon.

Would've loved to have seen the reporter he called a 'knob' jump up and plant one on his stupid Garry Hocking crossed with Niki Lauda dial.

How was Ricky Nixon's form? Is there any bigger w***er in the country in any context today.

edited for truth.

Has superseded Brett Burton as having the most punchable face in Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back