News Craig Vozzo appointed Essendon CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

I thank Vozzo for his service and wish him all the best.

It does add a consistency about Nisbett and his leadership style that is coming out slowly.

• Nisbett was going to move on once the Optus move was complete.
  • Then he was going to move on whet the Lathlain Park facilities were in place.
  • Then he was going to move on once the AFLW team got up.
  • Now no end in sight

The leaking of information via the Claremont Yacht Club is that Trev prefers yes men, he doesn't know when his time is up and he is poor at communicating with his inner sanctum.

Craig is that fed up he has gone to the Drug Rats. Yes it is a promotion of sorts but the Dons in-fighting at the board plus the inability of the board, high roller supporter's club and past players/coaches top resist interfering with the operations of the club still looks better than King Nissie I being true to his word.

Pity.

It's a sign of a good club that people get poached for higher positions elsewhere, but it raises the obvious question - why didn't the board develop a proper succession plan from Nisbett to him.

I think we, as a club, need to review how we elect members on the board. Pretty disappointing we don't get a vote at all.

Yeah glad he's done well but really feel it's been a case of letting a natural successor wait in the wings too long (like if we'd kept Gardiner, a talented player, but injury/performance aside locked him in as the #1 ruck unconditionally and left Cox out to look for opportunities elsewhere)

Am not doom and gloom yet or anything but there's been a lot of aspects of our management in the last few years (even seperate to on-field stuff) that aren't necessarily culture wrecking like ironically at Essendon but still feel symptomatic of a need for transition and a fresh eye over operations.

Rather than recruit randoms at the risk of them being nutters (again ironically like Essendon) we were in the position for promoting an excellent operator from within MAYBE a year or two early (which given our rebuild status could have suited actually quite well). Sounded like we didn't fight hard enough to keep him, kept shunting him sideways till he'd feel like accepting one of the most fraught positions at an AFL club because they rightly gave him the opportunity to further his career

I don't think a senior counsel would be hard to replace or have that much impact on the club. Experienced lawyers who want that role would be a dime a dozen. But a possible future CEO and/or a person with good football knowledge, astuteness and experience will be hard to replace.

Hard to know what to make of it. The fact that Essendon have appointed him makes me think that the burn out/stress leave rumours were probably untrue. You wouldn't appoint somebody who has demonstrated being susceptible to that hapenning to them to that position. I wonder if what really hapenned is he had a falling out or significant differences of opinion with other figures at the club and got sidelined as a result, and the burn out story was the club's attempt to spin it for the media.

As always our lapdog sycophant media will stay well away from the meat of the story of what hapenned with Vozzo since it is clearly information the club doesn't want aired. Instead they will give us another puff piece on NicNat because stories like that don't upset anybody. So we may never find out what the actual story with Vozzo is.

If O'Brien is going aswell as Vozzo, on top of losing Rawlings before that, then it feels like too many experienced people leaving at once. We don't really want a bunch of rookies in the administration trying to guide us out of where we are.

Last edited:
I don't think a senior counsel would be hard to replace or have that much impact on the club. Experienced lawyers who want that role would be a dime a dozen. But a possible future CEO and/or a person with good football knowledge, astuteness and experience will be hard to replace.

Hard to know what to make of it. The fact that Essendon have appointed him makes me think that the burn out/stress leave rumours were probably untrue. You wouldn't appoint somebody who has demonstrated being susceptible to that hapenning to them to that position. I wonder if what really hapenned is he had a falling out or significant differences of opinion with other figures at the club and got sidelined as a result, and the burn out story was the club's attempt to spin it for the media.

As always our lapdog sycophant media will stay well away from the meat of the story of what hapenned with Vozzo since it is clearly information the club doesn't want aired. Instead they will give us another puff piece on NicNat because stories like that don't upset anybody. So we may never find out what the actual story with Vozzo is.

If O'Brien is going aswell as Vozzo, on top of losing Rawlings before that, then it feels like too many experienced people leaving at once. We don't really want a bunch of rookies in the administration trying to guide us out of where we are.

Good post. Glass left under unusual circumstances too. All points to something not being right.

I heard that Rosich left for Freo due to a similar belief that there was nowhere to go to continue his career at WCE. It could be rumour, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

To be fair that was 2008 and Nisbett moving on then would have been premature. Notwithstanding that Trev was arguably fortunate to survive the fallout of our 2007 implosion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard that Rosich left for Freo due to a similar belief that there was nowhere to go to continue his career at WCE. It could be rumour, but it wouldn’t surprise me.
My intel was that Rosich was told he would not get the top job at WCE hence he dropped his anchor in Cockburn.

It was good advice. Garlic had done such a better job.

All the best to Vozzo - within reason given he's going to the scum.

I'm not sure that he was still part of the succession planning at West Coast. Given his most recent role change which lowered his profile, it doesn't scream we see this guy as our next CEO. Add to that the fact that for the last 4-5years Nizzy has been deferring his retirement means that at some level there hasn't been the confidence in Vozzo being able to take over.
Either that or we are so under Nizzy's thumb that we burnt the one person that was groomed as his replacement.

Disappointingly just like our onfield list has been lacking successors in key midfield roles, it seems our off-field key roles are suffering a similar fate. Will be interesting to see where we go from here as I do think it's time to start 'injecting' some fresh thinking across all levels of the organisation.

Duff spoke about Vosso on SEN last week. Summarising his thoughts:

• During COVID clubs had to lay off staff
  • As a wealthier club with a higher contingent of staff, West Coast had a lot of staff to layoff
  • The remaining staff had to cover more work than they had previously
  • Some remaining staff didn't cover their share of work, causing others (like Vosso) to cover even more
  • Vosso needed a break
  • Upon his return to work he was under-utilised, doing bit jobs
  • He has always been a CEO in waiting and should do a great job at Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back