News Don Pyke appointed next CEO commencing Jan 15

Remove this Banner Ad

The West reporting that Don Pyke has won the race to become our next CEO, commencing after Trevor Nisbett’s term ends after the upcoming season.

This, despite the same newspaper reporting it believed he was pulling out two weeks ago.

“West Coast Eagles set to announce Don Pyke as new chief executive”

Those of us in the big thread called for this. We thought maybe we were a bit optimistic.

Right now it looks like it’s gonna happen.

He’s a proper club man. Ex premiership player at our club. Ex senior coach of Adelaide, senior assistant of Sydney.

He’s been in the game a long time, has well established external business acumen.

This could be the start of a much better club without the stale well worn reign of King Nis.

He’s been a terrific servant of the club, Nis, but his methods are dated and hopefully a more open and accountable culture will start to grow at the club.

Hopefully the reports are true, Don Pyke seems like a wonderful selection and it would be a cleaner transition before the start of the season rather than during it.

I hope however people are respectful in their comments towards Nizzy if this is the end. Yes, he's probably hung around a fraction too long but what he has given this club over 35 years.......i mean, damn!

Just say that out loud for a moment. 35 years service to our club.

We often talk about those who've had the biggest influence on our organization. Woosha, Mick, Cuz...... Nizzy sits amongst them all.

Yes Yes Yes GIF

Welcome back Pykey!!!!!

Hopefully the reports are true, Don Pyke seems like a wonderful selection and it would be a cleaner transition before the start of the season rather than during it.

I hope however people are respectful in their comments towards Nizzy if this is the end. Yes, he's probably hung around a fraction too long but what he has given this club over 35 years.......i mean, damn!

We often talk about those who've had the biggest influence on our organization. Woosha, Mick, Cuz...... Nizzy sits amongst them all.

100% agree. Its just a sad relialty everyone in football has a shelf life and his time should have been up a few years ago.

Still i am glad this is happening now and not at the end of next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The King is dead. Long live the King!

Nisbet has been one of, if not the biggest influence on our direction and successes/failures as a club.

He hasn't gotten it right all the way along but the balance of results shows he got plenty right too, indeed more so than the vast bulk of his peers at other footy clubs.

Thanks for going Nissy and thanks for being there too.

This is huge for the club...we'll have the Vics wetting the bed again before we know it!

uh no. he deserves to be critiqued regardless. no sunshine and lollipops here.

good on him for his successes but he can gagf for some of his decisions including tim gepp.

don pyke is a brilliant choice and over the *en moon that it will be december 23

They just appointed an old boy.

That’s true, they really stuck their neck out. But think in this case it’s the right one.

Nepotism exists everywhere. Likely you do it when you ask a friend family member etc for a good tradie. It’s still nepotism. I’d rather employ someone recommended or I know than an unknown. Ability to judge competency via an interview is highly overrated.

Official, starts January 15th:

anchorman-ron.gif

That’s true, they really stuck their neck out. But think in this case it’s the right one.

Nepotism exists everywhere. Likely you do it when you ask a friend family member etc for a good tradie. It’s still nepotism. I’d rather employ someone recommended or I know than an unknown. Ability to judge competency via an interview is highly overrated.
I was just making a witty (in my mind) observation.

I agree, good appointment.

Will be interested to see how Don chooses to "make his mark" on the club over the course of the 2024 season. Hopefully we see some scrutiny towards the peripheral aspects of the side like the S&C and medical teams - I feel like we've had a very "s**t happens" attitude to player management when guys get hurt/ arent fit over the last few years, and would like to see some hard questions being asked by the upper echelons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back