• Possibly 8th

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide were the highest scoring H&A team last year, just ahead of Brisbane. They managed to score around 95 points per game against n average

By comparison, WC were the lowest scoring team averaging a little over 60 points per game

Getting our average up to around 75-80 per game whilst reducing our points conceded to below 100 (it was 116) would be a significant improvement
These are the realistic goals we should be going for. No 100+ beltings another one.

Adelaide were the highest scoring H&A team last year, just ahead of Brisbane. They managed to score around 95 points per game over n average

By comparison, WC were the lowest scoring team averaging a little over 60 points per game

Getting our average up to around 75-80 per game whilst reducing our points conceded to below 100 (it was 116) would be a significant improvement

Yeah but take out the Sydney game, and I'm sure the average conceded drops under 100.
So let's just avoid losing by 30 goals again.

Yeah but take out the Sydney game, and I'm sure the average conceded drops under 100.
So let's just avoid losing by 30 goals again.
Not even close to achieving that.
Points conceded drops from 2674 (116 per game) to 2469 (112 per game). The 112 per game is calculated with reducing the games to 22. If it is left at 23 and the 205 just removed (bad memory, didn't happen) it drops to 107 per game.

Not even close to achieving that.
Points conceded drops from 2674 (116 per game) to 2469 (112 per game). The 112 per game is calculated with reducing the games to 22. If it is left at 23 and the 205 just removed (bad memory, didn't happen) it drops to 107 per game.

raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

These are the realistic goals we should be going for. No 100+ beltings another one.

We conceded goals in clumps far too regularly. Most games we coughed up a run of 5 unanswered goals at least, often more

Need to find a way to stop the bleeding when we’re under the pump

We conceded goals in clumps far too regularly. Most games we coughed up a run of 5 unanswered goals at least, often more

Stop the ball passing through the midfield at speed and under no pressure. If we can slow the opposition ball movement and make it harder for them to pinpoint passes (easy without pressure) then we're half way there.
That would give our backs at least a fighting chance, something that was all too rare in 2023.

Yep and that requires a serviceable midfield.

Cant see it changing next year . If anything our midfield is weaker without shuey .

Maybe if yeo can play midfield?

We haven't really added any experience not even a mature ager .

You would think guys like duggan and petch will have to play significant midfield time and play well

Also cripps on the wing would help

You can't rely on ginbey Hewett long Reid chesser because they are still building and then you have a drop off at the end of quarters/games leading to those goal pile ons

A lot of it depends on selection policy. We have a lot of young players on our list now. But we also have a lot of old players. And if Simpson decides to pick the most experienced team possible that will still be a very old team we will be putting on the park.

If he decides not to do that and prioritises youth to the point where at the end of the year we are in the top 3 in the comp for most games pumped into players with less than 50 - 70 games of experience at the time of those games then that is a great start and wins and losses don't really matter. If he does that and at the same time limits the number of 10 goal plus beltings to no more than 6 and the 100 point plus beltings to no more than 1 then that will have been a very successfull season.

The idea that naming a team of babies that gets pumped every week as "good for the youths development" is so simple minded.

Winning culture and competing for a spot on gameday is vastly more important in a rebuild - unless you want to emulate the North Melbourne and Carlton styles of rebuild?

There's a difference between games played and good experience.

If we can do both, great. Not going to happen though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The idea that naming a team of babies that gets pumped every week as "good for the youths development" is so simple minded.

Winning culture and competing for a spot on gameday is vastly more important in a rebuild - unless you want to emulate the North Melbourne and Carlton styles of rebuild?

There's a difference between games played and good experience.

If we can do both, great. Not going to happen though.
So.....

Credits in the bank are back on?

I know consensus is our midfield will get dominated based on last year, and it has merit, but if we look at the last month of footy we played when we had some decent availability, I dont think its as dire as many are remembering.
Sure we will be very inexperienced in there but we also have some quality in Ginbey and Hewitt that are now in their second year and Harley popping in to add some class now and again. All of these blokes bring something that our midfield has lacked and been made to look second rate- pace and pressure. Even if they are still learning to find the pill at this young age, with them in the middle along with Duggan Petch Kelly and Long, we should be able to at least stop the bleeding of uncontested easy entries coming our of the guts that the oppo enjoyed so much last year.
Give our backs half a chance to defend or intercept and then using the overlap run and carry of Hunt and Jones et al. that we saw at the back end of the season and we start to look a lot better even if we aren't winning the centre clearances.

Tonight I asked Google Bard where we'd finish this year, and it suggested we'd be 10th-15th, however if they manage to integrate Reid seamlessly, overcome the difficult draw, and avoid major injuries, a mid-table finish or even a push for the finals wouldn't be entirely out of reach.

I mean, that's awesome! Some around here still seem to think that we'll give back-to-back spoons a shake, so take that!

However, there were a few things we need to consider. For starters, did anyone else know that we'd lost Jamie Elliott to Collingwood?? I mean, you'd think that'd be on the news! C'mon Channel Eagle, what gives? And what's Justin Longmuir going to do to fill the gaps now? There's gotta be pressure on him, surely? But, at least we still have JK and Nic Nat around to soften the blow and guide Harely Reid into the new era!

🤪

Predicting the exact ladder position for the West Coast Eagles in the 2024 AFL season is quite difficult at this early stage. However, I can provide some insights based on current information and expert opinions:

Factors suggesting a lower finish:

• Difficult Draw: The Eagles face a challenging fixture in 2024, starting with two top-six teams in the opening rounds. They also miss out on prime-time slots, potentially impacting momentum and fan engagement.
  • Off-season Losses: The departure of experienced forward Jamie Elliott to Collingwood weakens their offensive firepower. Additionally, several other players have left, creating gaps in the squad.
  • Youthful Rebuilding Phase: The Eagles are in a transition period. While the recent acquisition of top draft pick Harley Reid brings excitement, integrating young players often takes time and consistency might suffer.
  • Pressure on Coach Justin Longmuir: After two disappointing seasons, pressure is mounting on Longmuir to deliver results. Any early stumbles could further dent morale and affect performance.

Factors suggesting a potential improvement:

• Fresh Start with Harley Reid: Reid's talent and leadership potential could inject optimism and energy into the team. His arrival might also encourage existing players to step up.
  • Improved Fitness and Health: The Eagles made offseason investments in their fitness program and player recovery. This could help address past problems with fatigue and injuries.
  • Experience of Core Players: Despite the roster changes, the Eagles still have a strong core of experienced players like Josh Kennedy, Nic Natanui, and Elliot Yeo. Their leadership and guidance will be crucial for the younger players.

Overall:

Most experts project the Eagles to finish somewhere in the 10th-15th range on the ladder, with a focus on development and laying the foundation for future success. A top-eight finish seems unlikely at this stage. However, if they manage to integrate Reid seamlessly, overcome the difficult draw, and avoid major injuries, a mid-table finish or even a push for the finals wouldn't be entirely out of reach.

Ultimately, the season is still long and unforeseen factors can always come into play. It's best to follow the Eagles' progress closely and observe how they adapt to the challenges and opportunities throughout the year.

I hope this information helps!

Moral of the story. Bard is a sketchy source of information and its predictions can’t be relied upon.

I think 7-10 but it depends. Flynn has just become our most important player.
With BW, OA,JD and Jack Williams we have an excellent marking forward line.Maric looks to be a gun. Ryan hopefully stays on the park,Brockman,Cripps and Long gives us a potent forward line.Cully and Waterman competing for spots.
But Flynn going down brings BW back into the middle and upsets the balance.
Kelly will get more help from Ginbey,Duggan and cameos from Yo and Reid.
Jones was looking the goods down back,Cole fit Witherden is tough and will be a much better player in a better side.
If we had an injury free season I’d have us in the eight.

6 wins or more would be great with one or two away. Going away as a team and winning seems to strengthen team relationships and build belief. Other things I’d love to see:

Oscar continues to be one of the comps best key forwards
Maric to kick 20 goals
Reid, Hewett, Ginbey, Chesser, Hough, Long, Hall stay injury free
Bazzo becomes a key member of the back 6
Flynn and BW form a solid, consistent partnership

I honestly just don't expect the club to finish with more than 5-6 wins. It's all due to the talent spread by age particularly through the midfield.

The only way I think the club gets more than that is if Sheed has a 2011 Embley style Renaissance and Yeo is able to play mostly midfield. Duggan will be a good defensive midfield stop gap but I don't see him swinging anything in the clubs favour outside of breaking even in his position.

Yes the club has some very good developing youth but you just can't expect them to come in and win their position on field, particularly a starting position and while the clubs defence and forward line look good on paper the club is spread incredibly thin through the midfield.

Now 3 years from now hopefully with Ginbey making his way as a league leading defensive powerhouse, Reid exploding out of the midfield with Hewett being able to play that third inside/out midfield role with Burgiel running and distributing from defence things will be greatly different. But as effectively first year players (Either coming back from Injury or as actual first year players) You just can't expect them to hold the fort.

The club was abominably bad last year yet still got amazing seasons out of our 2 most important players in Kelly and Allen. Yes if we can get more pressure for longer further up the ground with a fully fit Gov then it will tighten the losses, but I just don't see enough player improvement to bridge the gap for more than the listed number of wins. A great achievement would be increasing our percentage by 20%. If the club can improve our percentage by 20% this year and 15% each year the following 3 years the club plays finals in 2027.

Now off for my morning swim followed by some breakfast and then maybe a cheeky san mig light.

I also think even if we get to 6 wins that's bottom 2 and maybe even still a spoon. If North hadn't of ****ed around and played for compensation and priority picks last year they likely would have won 6 games and still finished 17th.

Back