Cricket Australia Gold - 24/7 Channel

Remove this Banner Ad

Faulkner playing for the old Melbourne Stars, what happened to him, he used to be the flavour of the month and then dropped off the map.
He had a great slower ball, but I distinctly recall Virat Kohli figuring out how to pick it out of the hand and absolutely belting him, which I feel combined with injuries sped up his demise at international level.

I was at the odi at the Gabba where he won it with one wicket in hand so fond memories of his time at international level.

He had a great slower ball, but I distinctly recall Virat Kohli figuring out how to pick it out of the hand and absolutely belting him, which I feel combined with injuries sped up his demise at international level.

I was at the odi at the Gabba where he won it with one wicket in hand so fond memories of his time at international level.

He's still only 34, it's crazy how quickly the injuries came for him at a time when most guys of his quality were cashing in on the T20 circuit.

Tubby Taylor when first skipper 94 to say 96 wasn't that bad as a one dayer player really in hindsight.

Funny to see M Waugh and Taylor batting well and it's 0/34 off 10 seems super slow now.

But Tubby had some longer knocks anchoring the innings then for the time he played in. Guess I mean more as time passes I remember him as complete horseshit in the format.

Averaged 45 when he took over as skipper mid 94-96

The 1985 world championship , I was only 2. Anyone remember if it was a big deal at the time?

I remember the picture of all the teams in the book my dad had called ten turbulent years .

India spinner Laxman Sivaramakrishnan didn't go on to do much after leading the wicket taking.
Yeah, was pretty big deal if I recall correctly. It was effectively the first Champions Trophy tournament with every Test playing nation taking part.

Crazy amount of ODIS played that summer; even though Oz didn't make the semis of that tournament they still played 16 ODIs I think.

Last edited:
It's such a bummer that the start of the BBL coincided with the tall poppy syndrome portion of the late, great man's career.

Watching Warney talk you through field placings and commentate what he's about to bowl is fascinating, and he doesn't get the credit he deserves for what T20 broadcasts would become.

I guess it would have its fans but old BBL matches holds no interest for me. Would rather see old one-day domestic matches if they're not going to show international cricket all the time.
Give me up some early 2000s ODI tri-series stuff, summer holidays nostalgia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They seem happy to show ODI tri-series games from the 80's and 90's but none from the 2000's. Well, none that I've seen anyway.
I'm starting to think they don't have the rights to a lot of series', lot of 70/80s ODI stuff, old BBL, no 90s/2000s gear from what I've seen.

They're currently showing Australia vs Pakistan from Bellerive in the mid 90s - I'm pretty sure this is the first test match I ever went to. I went all the way to Hobart (from Launceston) to watch Boonie bat in the second innings and he scored a duck.

They showed an ODI from the WACA in early 1984 between Australia and the West Indies won by Australia but the story was the great man Michael Holding getting a couple of wickets and scoring 64 off 39 with the bat. Cop that, Bazball.

They're currently showing Australia vs Pakistan from Bellerive in the mid 90s - I'm pretty sure this is the first test match I ever went to. I went all the way to Hobart (from Launceston) to watch Boonie bat in the second innings and he scored a duck.
My first was the MCG in the first season after WSC, we sat in the old Ponsford Stand and Ian Chappell batted the session with Bruce Laird. If I close my eyes I can still see it.

Australia A 0/24 after 10 overs seems pretty slow going, even in those days. Hayden and Blewett opening.
Seems unlikely because of how he was later on but Hayden was painfully slow until the late 90s. Can remember a few Mercantile Mutual cup games he pretty much ruined by batting half the innings or longer and barely striking at 50.

Every time I tune into this channel it seems like Craig McDermott is one of the bowlers, he was a staple back in the 80s and early/mid 90s.

Bruce Reid features a fair bit too along with Merv Hughes, Carl Rackemann, Geoff Lawson, Mike Whitney, Terry Alderman and Dave Gilbert.

I've seen a lot of the 90/91, 94/95, 95/96 and 2011 BBL seasons whenever I've tuned into this channel, but not a whole lot else.

Hoping there's a bit more variety coming down the pike.

The boy (8) is also addicted. (But has less opportunity to get a fix).

You watch enough you get really rewarded. Like seeing play you didn't see at the time because you were at school. I think it was during the highlights of McDermotts 8/97 day 1 at the WACA in 1991 it suddenly occurred to me that until I finished school I'd have missed half the play in the Perth and Brisbane tests each year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back