2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 39 Australia v Afghanistan 7/11 1900hrs @ Wankhede Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Maxy made a brilliant hundred in a WC game at the SCG in 2015 when we were in trouble and also made a Test 100 on a tricky Indian pitch. He’s had many good knocks against the best teams, but too many people can’t stand the bloke and it clouds their judgement so they only remember when he gets out cheaply.

Last night solidified his standing in Australian cricket history and hopefully removes the stigma he can’t perform in big moments, as it simply wasn’t true to begin with.

He also made an important 40 against NZ a couple of games ago. Helped win us the game with the ball in our last match against India before the WC, that’s why his all round ability is so important.
I wouldn't say people hate him, Maxwell is a champion guy to the young kids, I've seen him multiple times having a hit with fans, Smith on the other hand can be a absolute snob

Small correction, it is first 4 wickets for less than 50 runs in World Cups. Less impressive but still interesting

1996 V WI at Mohali: 15/4. (Semi Final won by 5 runs)

1975 V ENG at Leeds: 32/4. (Semi Final won by 4 wickets). Truly bizarre game with ENG setting 93 and Gary Gilmour getting 6 wickets and 28 runs to be MOM

2019 V WI at Nottingham: 38/4. (Group game won by 15 runs). NCN got 92.

2003 V NZ at Gquberha: 47/4. (Group game won by 96 runs).

2003 V ENG at Gquberha: 49/4. (Group game won by 2 wickets).

2023 V AFG at Mumbai: 49/4. (Group game won by 3 wickets).
Thank you for digging those up. A couple of remarkable subplots there:

(1) Shane Bond winning MoM in a game his team lost by 96 runs.
(2) WI getting to 2/165 chasing 208 before being bowled out.

People hate Maxwell? Why?
Ever since that ‘Big Show’ nickname came out plenty in Aus cricket have not like the bloke. Heck, even the selectors banished him at one stage a few years ago and refused to pick him in any format. It took until this current setup for a coaching and playing group to just back him in regardless, even if he gets out first ball trying to slog.

Crash Craddock also mentioned that Cummins and McDonald backing in Head’s natural game is a big reason why he’s suddenly lifted to be among the worlds elite in every format. Just need someone to have faith in you.

No it bounced off his fingers not the ground. His fingers were o the ground before the ball got into his hands, he comes up with his hands completely surrounding the ball, but he hasn't moved them relative to the ball at all. They were always under the ball.
Frame by frame you can see the ball went right-hand, ground, left-hand. Not fully conclusive though, but BoD went to batsman.

Ever since that ‘Big Show’ nickname came out plenty in Aus cricket have not like the bloke. Heck, even the selectors banished him at one stage a few years ago and refused to pick him in any format.
That was in the Smith / Lehmann leadership, they wanted to play tough hard cricket and give the opposition nothing and Maxwell just done his own thing, gave them the shits lol

What's the rule for semi finals in regards to rained out games? Is there a reserve day or does the higher placed team go through automatically? Might be worth going hammer and tongs against Bangadesh to try and get second spot.

Weather looking really bad for NZ/SL game, might give Pakistan a chance of qualifying.

What's the rule for semi finals in regards to rained out games? Is there a reserve day or does the higher placed team go through automatically? Might be worth going hammer and tongs against Bangadesh to try and get second spot.

Weather looking really bad for NZ/SL game, might give Pakistan a chance of qualifying.
There are reserve days for the semis

Would be a cruel way to go out for NZ if a pretty stiff D/L and a rainout costs them

What an innings from Maxi ... Sad, not much of cricket on the TV news .. only some couple of minutes of highlights to watch .

In India they have 2hrs of pregame show and 2 hrs of postgame show .. and fullgame replay next day

I reckon Maxis innings yesterday cause outage at Optus today ..crashed the networks lol

When people compare the % of runs for an innings, what's been overlooked is he actually scored 82% of our runs during the time he was at the crease - 201 out of the 244 runs scored, of which 13 came from extras - Labs 9, Stoinis 6, Starc 3, Cummins 12*.

Not to denigrate Viv and Kapil Dev's two innings where they rescued their teams, but coming in with their team on 11 and 9, respectively, that figure doesn't move much from their % of the entire total. Whilst we were struggling, Maxwell coming in with the score on 49 does change that calculation quite a lot for his innings.

Obsessed much? Btw some of us have to work for a living, can’t spend their lives watching cricket 24/7.

But if you knew anything of my posting then you’d realise you’re barking completely up the wrong tree…
Wow struck a nerve of the 10th placed team supporter methinks.....

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maxwell isn't a great player....but that was a great innings. It won't be long until you will see a 300 scored in odi cricket...but you might not ever see a guy chase 300 essentially off his own bat, unable to run.

It was a special innings. It was what the WC needed tbh - it will be an innings talked about 50 years from now....how many Australian ODI hundreds do we talk about these days?

Ponting's 100 in the 2003 WC, Gilly in 2007?

Symo's 100 in 2003 v Pakistan I remember like yesterday.

Bevan's hundred v NZ at the MCG in 2001 to take us home....Watson's blitzkrieg at the MCG in 2011 v England.

Lots of ODI tons just fade into irrelevance bar the odd one....as listed above.

Maxwell's name is now entrenched on that list.

Yeah I know that when I want to downgrade someone, what I do is repeatedly state that their innings has to be considered within the greatest 3-4 in the 53 year history of the format.

F**k me mate, learn what you’re arguing.

Someone made mention of Rohit Sharma and his list of achievements. A response/s was made denigrating him for, among other things, not doing it when it counts, being a flat track bully, and scoring all his runs batting first.

To which I responded by pointing out in pretty straight forward fashion that all those arguments are bullshit and that if you wanted to go down the path of writing off the context of Sharma’s runs, why not write off Maxwell’s as well, considering that barring a freak set of circumstances, there wasn’t a great deal on the line.
And for all this emotional rhetoric and swearing I highly rate all knocks mentioned, but the reasons I've stated are why I think it's more than reasonable to rate Maxwell's closer to top of the tree than Sharma's. You disagree. Good on you mate, I'd rather soak in the knock rather than be combative over semantics.

From my perspective it’s simply a case that a) you didn’t have someone (a sibling, parent etc) preaching from the youngest years about how you ‘have to support your country.’ As a consequence I grew up liking a team that isn’t even a country. By the time I realised what delineates nations and their sporting teams, I couldn’t just ‘decide’ to go for Australia. B) its sport. It’s not war. As seriously as I take it, at the end of the day it’s two groups of blokes chucking a ball at each other.
You can reduce any activity to its most basic components in order to minimize its power over or importance to people. Ballet is basically a bunch of skinny women and a man or two leaping about a stage. Opera is a lot of fat men and women squawking in a language most of us don't understand. Playing a violin is simply someone dragging a stick over some string made from cat gut.

I don't agree. I'm not saying you can't barrack for the team opposing your country but it is highly unusual and calls for some sort of an explanation in my view just as someone supporting another family's kids in a contest with your own would strike most people as slightly problematic and strange to say the least.

Maxwell isn't a great player....but that was a great innings. It won't be long until you will see a 300 scored in odi cricket...but you might not ever see a guy chase 300 essentially off his own bat, unable to run.

It was a special innings. It was what the WC needed tbh - it will be an innings talked about 50 years from now....how many Australian ODI hundreds do we talk about these days?

Ponting's 100 in the 2003 WC, Gilly in 2007?

Symo's 100 in 2003 v Pakistan I remember like yesterday.

Bevan's hundred v NZ at the MCG in 2001 to take us home....Watson's blitzkrieg at the MCG in 2011 v England.

Lots of ODI tons just fade into irrelevance bar the odd one....as listed above.

Maxwell's name is now entrenched on that list.
Great post. I rode every single ball of the Ponting 100. Couldn’t sit still. Brilliant innings.

Great post. I rode every single ball of the Ponting 100. Couldn’t sit still. Brilliant innings.
S Waugh ton against SAF in the group stage of WC 1999 not getting enough mentions here. I know % wise it's miles off what Max just did but it sits nearly as highly with me considering the situation he came in at. Also does have to be said SAF were stiff competition.

S Waugh ton against SAF in the group stage of WC 1999 not getting enough mentions here. I know % wise it's miles off what Max just did but it sits nearly as highly with me considering the situation he came in at. Also does have to be said SAF were stiff competition.

You are right. Aus chased 270 odd, which in those days, was pretty much a winning total batting first. I couldn't think of many other knocks from Australian batsmen that are seared into the memory. Undoubtedly, many would come flooding back if prompted.

Maxwell's innings simply beggared belief.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back