Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

selling the guy a bit short, Bont already seems to be an exceptional team player and leader. Promoted to the leadership group this year

One of the more bizarre things I have ever read on BigFooty! :eek:

Both players have the potential to be superstars of the competition. Haven't watched much of Cripps this year so can't really say I have a right or wrong answer as to who has been better for the entire year. but after a slow start due to no pre season, Bontempelli is in career best form. Looking at the stats comparing the two its very close.

Both players have the potential to be superstars of the competition. Haven't watched much of Cripps this year so can't really say I have a right or wrong answer as to who has been better for the entire year. but after a slow start due to no pre season, Bontempelli is in career best form. Looking at the stats comparing the two its very close.

Bontempelli much better than Cripps this year.

Cripps has been carrying an injury and expected to do all the hard work. It may be taking its toll.

Nevertheless, both have another good ten years in front of them and that's a bonus for both our teams.

Bontempelli much better than Cripps this year.

Cripps has been carrying an injury and expected to do all the hard work. It may be taking its toll.

Nevertheless, both have another good ten years in front of them and that's a bonus for both our teams.

Agreed - Bont benefiting from being in a quality team surrounded by damaging players. He's an outstanding player in his own right, but if he and Cripps traded places, I reckon Bont would be struggling by this point of the season too.

Need to get Patty some support.

Bont was the catalyst behind the Dogs win on the weekend against the Tiges, thought he was brilliant.

Its a real shame to see Cripps playing the way he is, his numbers are good but his movement out on the field show otherwise
248108-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

This guy feels left out

Bont was the catalyst behind the Dogs win on the weekend against the Tiges, thought he was brilliant.

Its a real shame to see Cripps playing the way he is, his numbers are good but his movement out on the field show otherwise

That is harsh. Cripps has been forced to do all the inside work hence sacrificing his outside game for the team. Since we are so predictable, he's invariably gangtackled the split second he lays his hands on the ball. He's done/doing an amazing job, a job not too many in the comp could cope with. Most would've packed it in by now.

Bont is ridiculous. There's not a box he doesn't tick - tall, strong, quick, skillful, work ethic; is an absolute jet.

Cripps has to be carrying something (other than his team mates). His first third of the year was brilliant, at the moment he's sort of lumbering around and struggling once the game opens up. He was playing his best footy when Gibbs was on fire, which shows we desperately need to get another inside mid/accumulator for 2017.

Bont has him covered at the moment and I think has more upside, but it will be a good comparison over the next decade. Ablett vs Judd like :)

Bontempelli comfortably. For now.

Would love to see Cripps spend more time in the forward line and add some scoreboard damage. However, Carlton's midfield depth is so thin they simply cannot afford to have him anywhere other than stoppages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me it feels like we're comparing a great opening batsmen to a great middle order stroke player. Both great, but different jobs to do for their teams. Judd and Ablett were more similar than Cripps and Bont are.
At the moment Bont is more versatile.

That is harsh. Cripps has been forced to do all the inside work hence sacrificing his outside game for the team. Since we are so predictable, he's invariably gangtackled the split second he lays his hands on the ball. He's done/doing an amazing job, a job not too many in the comp could cope with. Most would've packed it in by now.

Didn't mean it to be harsh SMTM, just based on what I'm watching, it is not a knock on Cripps in any way, shape or form, the kid is a champion and is showing his true grit as he is obviously still playing well despite soreness to his knee? Under extreme pressure he keeps busting his gut to deliver for the team and you can see he is pushing himself to keep going.

Watching Bont against Richmond the other night his inside work and hand passing was....... "Cripp-like" The look away handpasses or over the shoulder passes which Cripps perfected last season.

Bont although good at times, had an underwhelming 2015. For all intents and purposes this is Cripps' second proper season at AFL level (the first was a write off) and he, like all 2nd year players has found the going a little tough at times. Despite this he is still leading the league in clearances and will most likely finish top 3 in our B&F.

Bont has risen to a superstar level this year and has found that consistency that was missing last year, hopefully Cripps can do the same next year.

This will be discussed throughout their careers. Even a couple of months ago Carey was still picking Cripps ahead of the Bont, but the scales have tipped the other way for now.

Expect we will judge them on no of Brownlows at the end and each will have a couple.

Bont by a fair margin right now.
Cripps isn't kicking enough and isn't running well. I hope for him and club this is due to carrying an injury, otherwise his lack of run/pace is a concern to be frank.

both are guns. im just glad we have one of them. bont looks to have more x factor but cripps has the ability to lift a side on his own. the only thing id like to see him improve is his kicking and he will be even more damaging. he will also do a lot better with some more talent around him. bont has libba mcrae hunter wallis stevens daniel picken etc. takes a lot of pressure off him. cripps in the doggies midfield would be elite already

Crippa's numbers are all up from last year from a statistical viewpoint. I agree he hasn't moved as well this year, but there surely has to be an element of the opposition putting more work into him as well.
Pretty much has had to do it on his own unfortunately, as he has 80 more contested possessions than the next best blues player and 50 more clearances than next best.

Monstered the last qtr yesterday and if he had kicked those goals probably would have walked away with Brownlow votes. Showed he has an ability to win a game off his own boot if he sorts his set shot out. Rest him forward and he will cause headaches for the opposition, very tough at the moment with the lack of depth in the midfield.

I feel that something has slowed Cripps down. Knee?

Watched him through the pre-season and he was putting in a lot of work on his speed and he really got himself motoring.
Just doesn't seem to have quite the same burst he gained earlier in the year.

Have you seen the strapping on his entire right leg Harks.

#SponsoredbyElastoplast

One of his clearences in the last qrt was just unbelievable to watch. Just charged like a bull , roved the ruck tap, one grab and then a quick dish off to gibbs whilst falling forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back