Critical stage of our development

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
I reckon we are at the key point in our development as a team.
Until now we have come along nicely and we are now at the stage where we can compete with any side.
The players have clearly bought into Brad's plan, hence none have left despite the expansion teams, etc.
However, those same players will now be starting to question what is going on with all the narrow losses.
Brad, from the tone of his presser, is going to have to show some tough love (he may have done so in the past but has generally publicly been extremely supportive of his player group). He may also need to look at his own approach and fine tune that, especially with regards to our defensive work.
How will the players respond to this? Especially now all their preseason work is pretty much shot and finals are all but off the agenda.
Will it steel them or will they drop away?
Geelong went through the same thing under Bomber Thompson and it worked out for them.
Hopefully we go that way, it's a massive time for this player group.

Goldstein - Champ
Thomas - Champ
Hansen - Coming good down back. Needs to do it for a year.
Tarrant - Hard worker. Still hope for him.
Ziebell - Stepping up. A true leader.
Wright - Drifting away off the back of the boat. More talented than what he is showing.
Cunnington - Coming along nicely.
Bastinac - Cruising. Still has no physical edge to his game but can get the footy and occasionally is damaging.
Macmillan - Shows glimpses, then falters. Another who is failing.
Atley - Is not a defenders a-hole. He needs to move to a wing. Still very green though.
Harper - Drifting away off the back of Sammy Wright off the back of the boat. Still very green though.

Gysberts, Hine and Jacobs were brought in incase some of these boys dropped off. Well, they are playing like poo at times so looks like they may be needed in the seniors some time soon.

The slow development of McKenzie is required, as is that of Garner.

Balls dropping time for those 23 and under. Lets see who has the nads to step up.

How much longer do we persist with McMahon & Firitto?

How much longer do we persists with Atley, Bastinac, Daw, MacMillan and Wright?

Spud has been good in most matches and Scott was in the best 3 at half time before the midfield in yet again.

You need to get your youth brainwashing addressed.

its amazing to me that people who name a bunch of kids as the problem after sitting through that game and any number of other games.Truly amazing.

Spud has been good in most matches and Scott was in the best 3 at half time before the midfield in yet again.

I think you're excessively harsh on Majak in light of his inexperience and the lack of leadership around him and to an extent I think MacMillan has been putting in without reward but at least still does a couple of good things per game.

But Atley, Bastinac, Wright are the trio who best sum up our mental (and physical weakness) for me. Watched all of them closely yesterday and they are getting pretty good at choosing not to run, not to close in during a contest, sloppy execution and generally spectating opponents now.

One of my personal favourites Mullett has an express ticket to join their little group too, didn't mind miskicking without immediate pressure or sitting and watching a few times when a high ball came in to a lone crow.

I think you're excessively harsh on Majak in light of his inexperience and the lack of leadership around him.....

I'm not harsh, i'm realistic.

If he gets called up to play KPP then he needs to be judged as a KPP.

He is clearly not a starting AFL player yet.

But Atley, Bastinac, Wright are the trio who best sum up our mental (and physical weakness) for me. Watched all of them closely yesterday and they are getting pretty good at choosing not to run, not to close in during a contest, sloppy execution and generally spectating opponents now.

One of my personal favourites Mullett has an express ticket to join their little group too, didn't mind miskicking without immediate pressure or sitting and watching a few times when a high ball came in to a lone crow.

Good observations mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to improve as a defensive team - we are front runners, hence why we dont hold off sides when they come.

Also some basic decisions by some of the kids late were poor - atley does not need to go up and try mark it as he wasnt going to impact the contest - stay down with your man and we win - youthful decisions.

We are 3-6, leaking goals, and weren't that good to begin with. You can't blame the coach or a midfield that dominates its opposition on a weekly basis.

We are kicking enough goals.
Our intensity is fine.
We just aren't great at defending.

I normally have rose-coloured glasses welded on. But yesterday was shocking. They might have believed they were unlucky to have just fallen short against some very good opposition. But cold light shows that even then they were letting too much scoring through, and were lucky the opposition didn't kick straighter. Flattered by scorelines, media and supporters. They are better than 3-6, but there are good reasons they aren't 9-0 or 8-1 and luck is none of the reasons.

Losing as favourites with everything their way at home might just shake things up enough. Let's hope so.

I normally have rose-coloured glasses welded on. But yesterday was shocking. They might have believed they were unlucky to have just fallen short against some very good opposition. But cold light shows that even then they were letting too much scoring through, and were lucky the opposition didn't kick straighter. Flattered by scorelines, media and supporters. They are better than 3-6, but there are good reasons they aren't 9-0 or 8-1 and luck is none of the reasons.

Losing as favourites with everything their way at home might just shake things up enough. Let's hope so.

Something has got to give.

We are 3-6, leaking goals, and weren't that good to begin with. You can't blame the coach or a midfield that dominates its opposition on a weekly basis.

We are kicking enough goals.
Our intensity is fine.
We just aren't great at defending.
Ziebell another head high bump- poor decision making again.
Wright- back to vfl
Daw- vfl rest of the year lacks intensity at the ball just goes in half hearted.
Atley bastinac - two turn over kings who are very soft at their approach to the ball.
Brad scott must go , poor record no success, how long will this club settle for Yet another middle of the road season ?? V

Grima - Thompson - Kennedy
Wells - Hansen - Mullet

i think we need to look at bringing in a player under free agency this year to provide a bit more maturity to the team.
When you look at the list of players available there is one that i think stands out as a really good fit for us, where we are right now.......Mark LeCras
We have tall's coming through in the forward line and we have Thomas who is a star, but i think LeCras would give us the balance we need and even allow Thomas to move up the ground further.
We aren't a well balanced side when it comes to age, and this would offset it to some degree by bringing in some class in the mid-20's bracket.
The fact his brother played for us might help.

I have come to the conclusion that the shape of the 2013 has condensed many of issues into an unusual 2 months.

I can kind of stomach the loses to top 6 teams, and the closeness of those loses.

What I cant stomach is losing games that are in our 'region' of development (Crowes) and below.

The rot stops tomorrow...

Yes but Paul Roos said... (yadda yadda yadda)

Honestly I would love to have the energy to go back 6 days to see if any of the keyboard heroes were saying Spud lost us the game by running up to the wing in the last 20 seconds. That is, before that bit of video was shown on TV. And would anyone pick the error after watching the video on mute, ie if it wasn't pointed out to them? Prior to that stage, everyone was demanding to know why none of our players were running to provide an option. Since the Roos comment, it seems the reason we lost was not because we didn't hold onto the ball for the last minute, but because we didn't clog defence with enough static players.

Brainwashing indeed.

I have come to the conclusion that the shape of the 2013 has condensed many of issues into an unusual 2 months.

I can kind of stomach the loses to top 6 teams, and the closeness of those loses.

What I cant stomach is losing games that are in our 'region' of development (Crowes) and below.

The rot stops tomorrow...
Carlton and Richmond games will be the key from this point of view. And the Freo and Adelaide away games, which are tough to win at the best of times will provide some redemption opportunities if we are good enough and strong willed enough.

Tomorrow's game isn't even an option to f*** up.

Yes but Paul Roos said... (yadda yadda yadda)

Honestly I would love to have the energy to go back 6 days to see if any of the keyboard heroes were saying Spud lost us the game by running up to the wing in the last 20 seconds. That is, before that bit of video was shown on TV. And would anyone pick the error after watching the video on mute, ie if it wasn't pointed out to them? Prior to that stage, everyone was demanding to know why none of our players were running to provide an option. Since the Roos comment, it seems the reason we lost was not because we didn't hold onto the ball for the last minute, but because we didn't clog defence with enough static players.

Brainwashing indeed.

I watched it over and over and concluded that Spud was running toward where the contest was going to be so as to help hold the ball in. He wasn't running away from defence so much as toward the contest, knowing that if the ball got held in that contest for 20 seconds ... that's all, just 20 seconds ... we win.

He was not the reason we lost and the decision was not a brain fart.

Carlton and Richmond games will be the key from this point of view. And the Freo and Adelaide away games, which are tough to win at the best of times will provide some redemption opportunities if we are good enough and strong willed enough.

Tomorrow's game isn't even an option to f*** up.

God help this Board if we lose.

deep-impact-gif.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back