Analysis Crocker as interim coach

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread can be summed up as
"I don't like Scott. Crocker isn't Scott so I'll make s**t up to justify my argument that Crocker is better than Scott"

2 wins against competitive opposition and a close loss to a top 2 side is not making anything up.

The results speak for themselves.

If such results had been happening first part of the year we would be top 4.

Further, selection has been tougher, we have implemented a dedicated tag, we seem more focused on defensive application, and made quicker match day moves. It's all there to see if you open your eyes, and also be willing to accept that Scott isn't perfect.

As for whether people prefer Scott or Crocker in media conferences, well that is just opinion. But I for one have enjoyed media conferences that are actually worth listening to rather than just hear the same tired clichés every week.

2 wins against competitive opposition and a close loss to a top 2 side is not making anything up.

Scott won two cut throat finals last year.

Seriously, the sample size is no where near sufficient to be drawing any conclusions whatsoever, especially when considering the ebb and flow nature of this team over the last few years and especially when we have no real insight into how much Scott's influence on the team has been reduced over this period.

Any judgement calls we are making individually are 95% gut feel and 5% innuendo.

Scott won two cut throat finals last year.

Those two teams have been proven to be pretty ordinary/poor this year - plus they were very narrow wins.

The real test against a decent team came in the third week and we failed miserably - the latter is a truer measure of how far away we were, not the former.

Last edited:
Those two teams have been proven to be pretty ordinary/poor this year - plus they were very narrow wins when they should have been beltings.

The real test against a decent team came in the third week and we failed miserably - the latter is a measure of how far away we were, not the former.
Relative to the period in which the victories occurred, which is the only true measure of any win or loss, they were good wins and cannot be discounted because of what has transpired at those clubs in the ensuing year. To argue that point is false and misleading.

We were not good enough against a well rested and primed Sydney last year. We were not good enough against and equally fatigued but still consistently good Sydney on our home turf this year. Sure, we played well, but still not good enough.

The rest of my post re sample size and history of this clubs form line stands. Drawing definitive conclusions from three games without any real knowledge of what is happening in the background is foolish.

The rest of my post re sample size and history of this clubs form line stands. Drawing definitive conclusions from three games without any real knowledge of what is happening in the background is foolish.

I see no one drawing definite conclusions, other than stating their opinion on how they view the team is different, results have improved, and we appear to have (both players and supporters) appreciated listening to someone else.

It is not foolish to recognise signs of a team that has lifted to a degree under a different coach over a three game period in the expectation (or mere hope) that it might continue for the rest of the season.

I see no one drawing definite conclusions, other than stating their opinion on how they view the team is different, results have improved, and we appear to have (both players and supporters) appreciated listening to someone else.

It is not foolish to recognise signs of a team that has lifted to a degree under a different coach over a three game period in the expectation (or mere hope) that it might continue for the rest of the season.

That there is a definitive conclusion and one I don't agree with. Adelaide in the form they were in round one would have still murdered us. We played well against Port but struggled without Wells, Dal and then lost Ziebell in the first few minutes. On current form the Dockers would still smash us, as would the Hawks, primarily because the lapses we are still experiencing cost us in those games as they did against the Pies and the Swans.

Personally I see little significant difference in how we are playing. Our intensity has lifted somewhat (coincidentally after the debacle that was the Collingwood game which should have embarrassed each of the 22 out there that day), we have implemented a hard tagger, but our style is the same and our flaws still exist. We have played great footy at times this year with Scott in the box and great footy at times with Corcker in the box. However the opposite is also true. It's the nature of our team. We ebb and we flow and we are as far away now from being a consistent team as we have been all season.

That there is a definitive conclusion and one I don't agree with. Adelaide in the form they were in round one would have still murdered us. We played well against Port but struggled without Wells, Dal and then lost Ziebell in the first few minutes. On current form the Dockers would still smash us, as would the Hawks, primarily because the lapses we are still experiencing cost us in those games as they did against the Pies and the Swans.

That is entirely speculative of what might have happened. My simply comment was based on the fact we beat two middle rung teams and lost closely to a top 2 team. We do that for the other rounds beating equivalent or lesser opposition, and getting close to the other top teams, and yes we would likely be top 4 now only losing to Freo/Hawks/Syd.....which can't be proven or disproven either way, hence is not definitive rather just a possible outcome (as is yours).

Crocker can't fix all the issues the team has in 5 minutes, but some changes have been made which appear on the surface to have assisted. Hence I give some credit for our change in the coach in obtaining better (which I understand you don't believe is the case) if far from perfect performances, rather than just discredit any positives that appear to have been implemented.

Last edited:
Adelaide in the form they were in round one would have still murdered us.
Why. Why weren't we the team to go out and smash Adelaide? We were at full strength, had a fair to good pre-season.

And the response, we knew they would come out strong for the first game of the year, they would come out to play in the third quarter - and we just let them.

Why. Why weren't we the team to go out and smash Adelaide? We were at full strength, had a fair to good pre-season.

And the response, we knew they would come out strong for the first game of the year, they would come out to play in the third quarter - and we just let them.
Its a reflection of where they were then compared to where we are now and what the result would be if both teams in that relative form played now.

Its a reflection of where they were then compared to where we are now and what the result would be if both teams in that relative form played now.

It was round one and both teams had decent pre-season 'form'. Plus we had more to play for if anything as should have been red hot off such a disappointing finale in '14. Freo have also proven this season the extra weeks off make little difference to round one.

It was not a reflection of the teams ability or form, simply that one team was prepared to play and one wasn't. If that were different I have no doubt we could have won that game against mediocre opposition.

Don't forget about that s**t after 1/2 time with Collingwood..... And i have said it before, i am glad Walsh is there but i don't think anyone is saying Brad is a s**t coach he has some flaws and is stubborn at times. Having Crocker come in and mixing things up a little has improved us overall, the staff are learning more and hopefully Brad does too.
Don't forget about that s**t after 1/2 time with Collingwood..... And i have said it before, i am glad Walsh is there but i don't think anyone is saying Brad is a s**t coach he has some flaws and is stubborn at times. Having Crocker come in and mixing things up a little has improved us overall, the staff are learning more and hopefully Brad does too.

I agree it has been good to have Crocker come in and he appears to have added some new things (some in game moves most notably). Added is the key word, not an overhaul. This is exactly what you want when some seconds into your role.

The reality is though, the playing group have not improved their consistency, particularly in the last two games. Until that clicks, we are going nowhere. this is a player thing and a different voice telling them to be ready/ruthless didn't seem to change things when we ran out in the 2nd against the swans and the 3rd vs the Giants.

Further, selection has been tougher, we have implemented a dedicated tag, we seem more focused on defensive application, and made quicker match day moves. It's all there to see if you open your eyes, and also be willing to accept that Scott isn't perfect.

As for whether people prefer Scott or Crocker in media conferences, well that is just opinion. But I for one have enjoyed media conferences that are actually worth listening to rather than just hear the same tired clichés every week.

The results don't speak anything.

Before the start of the season I would have expected us to beat West Coast in Tassie, a tough game against the Swans and beating GWS.

Nothing out of the ordinary has happened in the last 3 weeks.

So the smoke blowing up Crocker's arse is ridiculous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The results don't speak anything.

Before the start of the season I would have expected us to beat West Coast in Tassie, a tough game against the Swans and beating GWS.

Nothing out of the ordinary has happened in the last 3 weeks.

So the smoke blowing up Crocker's arse is ridiculous.

I would also have expected a tough but close game in Adel (humiliated), a win over Pies (threw it away, assisted by shocking coaching), a win over PA (didn't), competitive efforts against Hawthorn and Freo (also humiliated).

So whilst nothing out of the ordinary has happened, we have played three decent efforts in a row against worthy opposition which has not occurred previously this year.

Crocker deserves some credit, he appears comfortable in the role and it appears there are quite a few supporters who share that opinion.

I would also have expected a tough but close game in Adel (humiliated), a win over Pies (threw it away, assisted by shocking coaching), a win over PA (didn't), competitive efforts against Hawthorn and Freo (also humiliated).

So whilst nothing out of the ordinary has happened, we have played three decent efforts in a row against worthy opposition which has not occurred previously this year.

Crocker deserves some credit, he appears comfortable in the role and it appears there are quite a few supporters who share that opinion.

Don't bother. Unless you were going to ask "what did you expect for all the other games"?

To which you wouldn't get an answer.

It was round one and both teams had decent pre-season 'form'. Plus we had more to play for if anything as should have been red hot off such a disappointing finale in '14. Freo have also proven this season the extra weeks off make little difference to round one.

It was not a reflection of the teams ability or form, simply that one team was prepared to play and one wasn't. If that were different I have no doubt we could have won that game against mediocre opposition.

For me it was a reflection of how piss poor this group is managed.

I like brad as a person, not as a coach.

That's not a bad view to have.

I'm a good bloke. But if I tried to fix your car, you would soon stop me.

If you paid me heaps of $ over many years to slowly learn how to fix your car, you would be silly indeed.

I like brad as a person, not as a coach.

That's not a bad view to have.

I'm a good bloke. But if I tried to fix your car, you would soon stop me.

If you paid me heaps of $ over many years to slowly learn how to fix your car, you would be silly indeed.
Are you employed to fix my car if I need it fixed? Have you studied, done an apprenticeship worked in the auto mechanics industry? Brad has done all I just said. I'm guessing you haven't.

Are you employed to fix my car if I need it fixed? Have you studied, done an apprenticeship worked in the auto mechanics industry? Brad has done all I just said. I'm guessing you haven't.
Im glad to know Brad can go back to being a mechanic when he's given the boot!

Oh s**t, for a minute there I thought the only reason we kept Brad on was in case the team bus broke down! Now I'll have to find another reason!
You don't read do you? Just quote happy arent you? Pathetic, just like the team.

For the record, while I'm not one to simplistically lay all the blame at the coaches feet - the players have to accept some of the responsibility for the insipid performances - but this year has seen some disappointing results and I am starting to warm to the idea of a coaching overhaul. To that end, I have acquired a 'Why Don't We Get Rid Of Both These Clowns?: The Official Sack Scotts And Crocs Magic Bus'. It's a double-decker. I'm just doing some last minute tinkering and was going to wait until the end of the season to unveil it, but if pre-sale tickets sell quickly I will consider bringing it out of the garage a little earlier.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back