Opinion Crozier v sherro

Remove this Banner Ad

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle
I believe one of these guys if not both are crucial to us if we are to improve(obviously injuries control how much we improve) in 2015.

In what facets of their game do they need to work on over the summer?

For me if crozier can build his tank and become the opposing winger to hilly,that would be awesome!

Sherro may be get some mongrel into him?

I believe one of these guys if not both are crucial to us if we are to improve(obviously injuries control how much we improve) in 2015.

In what facets of their game do they need to work on over the summer?

For me if crozier can build his tank and become the opposing winger to hilly,that would be awesome!

Sherro may be get some mongrel into him?

I believe in 2-3 years Sheridan and Crozier will be an inside\outside mids with the ability to get the hard ball, and then also receive it and use it very well on the outside. They both need to build up their muscle strength so that they can play this role, but I am hopeful they will both being playing regularly next year.

Crozier is so clean, and has ability to break the game open with 1 perfectly weighted hand ball I think we have to play him through the midfield for large pieces next year.

Neither are natural forward or defenders which is why they have not got a game as quickly as other players. I would have both on the Fyfe diet of two protein shakes a day until they put on the muscle they need to play as an inside mid.

Sheridan needs to become a Jared Polec type player. Run, carry and break lines. His skills are decent, decision making questionable and consistency lacking.

After seeing what Crozier can produce I am massively excited and looking forward to his 2015 with another preseason under his belt. Crisp skills, knows where the goals are and has a killer instinct defensively.

Crozier becoming a permanent forward allows Sonson to spend some time in the midfield. He is a lovely kick, smart & pacy.

Sheridan I think has some similarities to Mundy & can become his replacement long term. I don't think Tommy has any outstanding attributes but think he has the frame & tank as well as the quick hands to become a very good player as an inside mid.

I hope we don't see them in subs vests in 2015.

Expect Crozier to get solid game time next year, not so much Sherro

If we play Crozier permanent forward, where does that leave Duffy?

Crozier becoming a permanent forward allows Sonson to spend some time in the midfield. He is a lovely kick, smart & pacy.

Sheridan I think has some similarities to Mundy & can become his replacement long term. I don't think Tommy has any outstanding attributes but think he has the frame & tank as well as the quick hands to become a very good player as an inside mid.

I hope we don't see them in subs vests in 2015.
I think the Mundy\Sheridan comparison is very accurate and hopefully he can become a Mundy replacement in a few years.

It is my option that Crozier should never be played deep in the forward line for an extended period, the best I have seen him play is when he is given the freedom to run. His ability to pick the ball up cleanly under pressure, then to pick the right target and hand ball to a person in space is brlliant. I would play him on the wing next year and give him 5 minute runs through the midfield. He could also play on the forward flank, but I don't want to see him in the forward pocket for extended periods.

I agree that Walters should play more in the midfield, but I think Duffy is the person to replace him as the forward pocket opposite Ballas.

Crozier has the chance to explode, he needs a massive pre-season and I can see him being very important for us next season.

Sherro - not so much, he is fighting with other mids. Is he an outside mid or an inside mid? He is in a weird spot at the moment. I think he will become top 22 at some point, he is just taking a bit longer to get there than Neale and Crozier. Could also get overtaken by Gray and / or Ballard.

Rate both of them highly.

Personally, and I know Ross disagrees, but I don't want to see walters or ballantyne in the midfield. I want to see sheridan and crozier develop as the mids and let walters and balla do what I believe they do best which is cause havoc in oppositions backline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both need a few more kg's and another pre-season of endurance running into them.

I totally disagree with calls for Crozier to become a permanent forward (especially if it means son son to the middle but that is a debate for another thread). He has the vision, skills and speed to be a very good inside/outside midfielder. He's a guy we need to step up to improve on the Subans of this world.

Sheridan i'm less sure about. One problem I think he'll be criticised for, especially if people view him as a PearceD replacement, is his pace. He is not Matt Priddis slow, but he isn't quick either. I'm not sure where he fits in in the future.

Crozier would be closer to replacing Pearce than Sheridan. Croz has that evasiveness that I haven't seen from Sherro.

I'd like Sheridan to work on his burst of pace, he looks good on the run but I haven't seen a Hill like burst up to speed to break the lines.
Crozier would be closer to replacing Pearce than Sheridan. Croz has that evasiveness that I haven't seen from Sherro.

Sheridan never had the burst of pace, he does have elite endurance and is more likely to be a player like Robert Harvey in the fact he can run all day and make it to more contests than his opponent.

Eventually I hope he can be a player like David Mundy around the stoppages but to get there he will need to improve his strength.

Inside mid's who come to a club skinny always taker longer to develop, hopefully next year he will show what he can do. He took big steps this year in the WAFL consistently racking up 25+ possies so I feel he will be ready to play AFL next year.

If Sherro isn't fast then he needs to be strong, slow outside mids don't last very long.

Agree they are very easily tagged out of games.

Sheridan isn't horribly slow anyway, could be wrong but wouldn't he be similar to mzungu in speed and endurance?

Yeah probably a fair comparison, but to take the next step I think he needs to further develop an inside game, and then use his fitness to link up with players.

As you can see below he has been playing as an inside mid during some games, we definitely have something to work with and I think he will be AFL ready once he builds up some strength.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-06-25/wafl-watch-coachs-comments
Tom SheridanTom played inside mid, he was strong inside the contest and pressured Perth around the ball. He had an impact around the contest, and worked well with the other mids to block and create space. He had nine effective tackles, which was a focus going into the game, and seven clearances with strong ball retention and pressure being a feature.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2014-04-16/wafl-watch-round-4-mids
Tom Sheridan 22 disposals (12 kicks, 10 handballs) 3 marks
Tom played inside mid with reduced game time as he was listed as an emergency for Sunday’s AFL game. He showed some good spread with his running as a midfielder and demonstrated he could get to some good positions at the clearance. Overall his work rate was positive and he had five clearances for the game.

I think the Mundy\Sheridan comparison is very accurate and hopefully he can become a Mundy replacement in a few years.

It is my option that Crozier should never be played deep in the forward line for an extended period, the best I have seen him play is when he is given the freedom to run. His ability to pick the ball up cleanly under pressure, then to pick the right target and hand ball to a person in space is brlliant. I would play him on the wing next year and give him 5 minute runs through the midfield. He could also play on the forward flank, but I don't want to see him in the forward pocket for extended periods.

I agree that Walters should play more in the midfield, but I think Duffy is the person to replace him as the forward pocket opposite Ballas.

please explain how mundy and sheridan are similar? mundy has always been able to create time and space and use the ball well because he doesnt panic, where as sheridan is the complete opposite.

before you say "well sheridan is young", mundy displayed this ability from the get go, thats why most freo fans knew he was a decent player, composure and confidence to break away from the pack and create play can rarely be taught, sheridan has had more game time than crozier and croz has shown more composure and ability in half the time.

yeh yeh i shouldnt be bagging young players, but people need to settle down with the expectations of sheridan.

Crozier is silk. With a big preseason I would be playing him every game next year starting off a HFF (which really means he ends up running with it back towards the goals) or at times further up the ground. His work rate both ways in our last game against Port was great to see. He was always the natural upgrade to MDB as the defensive forward. If MDB is going to come back into the game it probably needs to be as an inside mid which is probably best strength but may rely on injury to Barlow, Mundy, Neale or Crowley.

Sherro is a Mzungu type (good comparison) at present but is probably the long term Mundy replacement which is why in the WAFL he is being played inside mid more. For now develop his inside game more, his skills are good but yes sometimes decision making is not spot on but can improve. He may have more games as sub next year or full games in the second half of the season. He is probably more in line for lots of game time in 2016 but this will depend on his form. Vanilla player yes - but Vanilla goes with anything/can play any position well enough which is exactly what Hawthorn do with their players rotating so much.

And for those thinking about where that leaves Duffy, there is also hopefully Simpson pushing in there as well. There is no issue here - you play the players who have earnt their spot on the track and in the WAFL, if it means player X does not get a game that is life in a COMPETITION.

please explain how mundy and sheridan are similar? mundy has always been able to create time and space and use the ball well because he doesnt panic, where as sheridan is the complete opposite.

I will blame clivenator26 for the mundy comparison, I was just agreeing but here are similarities - Both players best position is an inside mid, both were fairly skinny and took a while to develop the strength needed to play this position.

Both have good skills off both feat, I am not sure if Sheridan will ever develop the class and compousure of Mundy, but Barlow doesn't have that either and he is still a very good player.

I think people are extremly harsh on Sheridan, his form in the WAFL has been between good to very good and he has not been playing in his best position in the WAFL.

If he does not continue to improve next year I will change my opinion, but I have seen enough improvement this year to suggest he will be a very good player.

PS - I don't believe Sheridan panics with the ball.

before you say "well sheridan is young", mundy displayed this ability from the get go, thats why most freo fans knew he was a decent player, composure and confidence to break away from the pack and create play can rarely be taught, sheridan has had more game time than crozier and croz has shown more composure and ability in half the time.

yeh yeh i shouldnt be bagging young players, but people need to settle down with the expectations of sheridan.

Inside mid's take longer to develop, Crozier is playing more an outside role and I get the feeling that this year the club decided to build up Sheridan's strength (or it may just be hope)

I'm actually more excited about Taberner, now that he's had a little game time in some big matches.

A big preseason coming up for him, hopefully he can build on this year

RTB is right in saying we ain't going down.With the continued development of our 3-4th year players,there is a good chance that'll offset the likely retirement of Maca.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back