Current Losing Streak & Priority Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
***WARNING DEPRESSING STATS INCLUDED***

Just having a look and we currently sit on 10 losses in row, if we lose remaining 7 games of season it will be clubs 6th longest losing streak at 17. Let's be realistic, the game in 4 weeks vs Bulldogs is our only possible win especially given our horrendous injury list.

Longest Losing Streaks
48 R01,1897-R17,1899
27 R02,1900-R11,1901
23 R13,1901-R01,1903
21 R13,1947-R14,1948
20 R16,1909-R17,1910
15 R10,1945-R04,1946

But will be interesting to see if we do happen to lose remaining games if the AFL will give us a priority pick or not. Surely they would, afterall we only won 5 games last year and 3 this year. Even a end of first round pick would be handy.

Our current losing margin this year is 61.9 points.Put that in perspective In 2013 GWS averaged 71.6 and Melbourne 64. Melbourne only won 2 games last year aswell. In 2012 GWS 77.1, Dogs 53.9, GC 53.5, Melbourne 50.7

People will say we won't cos Melbourne didnt. But remember they were punished for tanking, so the AFL couldnt exactly turn around and say actually nah you were actually that crap here's another pick!

Wouldn't think we'd get pick 2, but maybe a end first round pick might be what they do. Would seem like the fair way.

Damn it, was going to add a poll to this post but now can't seem to :mad:

Ours would presumably come after the Bombers' first pick?

IIRC injuries are taken into account when deciding to grant a priority pick (amongst the other stuff you mentioned) so you'd think it's a possibility.

We've lost Steven again now, what are the odds of Geary coming back in before the end of the year? Geary and Gilbert back in could be a massive help. Even then the GC, Sydney and Crows matches all look like they could be nasty.

Technically we're only one win behind three other teams but from the outside at least it's really been a season of two halves: before and after the Hawks match. It was said in the review thread that the result of that match wasn't too big a deal itself but it could have a big effect on the group's confidence. It seems like that's exactly what happened.

I think maybe not this season but we really are dire. Teams around us are beating up on us. It's almost lucky we don't play Melbourne or GWS again because they would probably run rings around us too, which would probably show where we're really at.

I see the season as "BTI" and "ATI", Before Templeton's Injury and After Templeton's Injury. Losing that hope just killed us I think.

The Brisbane loss was the turning point for me. Eli going out. Hickey being underdone and reinjuring, resulting in Longer having to come in before he's really ready. Losing after the high of the Essendon game, and with all the hope and expectation of being in New Zealand. Brisbane were down the bottom. We win that game, it's the Lions playing catch up with us for the rest of the year while they sit at the bottom.

Five measely points, and we win it. The entire season changes.

The Brisbane loss was the turning point for me. Eli going out. Hickey being underdone and reinjuring, resulting in Longer having to come in before he's really ready. Losing after the high of the Essendon game, and with all the hope and expectation of being in New Zealand. Brisbane were down the bottom. We win that game, it's the Lions playing catch up with us for the rest of the year while they sit at the bottom.

Five measely points, and we win it. The entire season changes.
One kick really. If Ray finishes, we win that game.
Nah. Eli was there when we were destroyed by the Crows. Also if the team had played well Ray never would have had to be in that position.

I guess the silver lining is we're not really inconsistent anymore.

Nah. Eli was there when we were destroyed by the Crows. Also if the team had played well Ray never would have had to be in that position.

I guess the silver lining is we're not really inconsistent anymore.
I'm not saying Eli would have been the difference against Hawthorn. I am saying he would probably have been worth a goal against Brisbane if he hadn't got injured in the first quarter. We would have won. And I think he wouldn't have stopped the big blowouts from being losses, but he might have made some of the closer games a heckuvalot closer, and maybe even tipped them our way.

We should get one, but I doubt we will. Our case to request one should be as follows.

Our present form is dreadful, most of our genuine talent is going to retire shortly, we have some young players that show some talent, but they could be nothing more then a flash in the pan. Over the last 10 years we have received less early draft picks then anybody else and from around 2007 to 2011 our drafting was so poor we have nothing to show for what picks we did get. Largely as a result of our attempting to win a premiership and topping up while the window was open. Our fans need some hope to keep coming to games and buying memberships, a priority pick is cheaper than extra money. The fact we have won 5 and 3 instead of 4 and 4 is an advantage, it shows that the AFL was honest when they advised that priority picks where not automatic and giving us one will help ensure that this message is understood by all clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We won't get a PP this year it's too soon after we weren't complete crap, but if we spoon again next year then it's highly likely we'll get one.

However, I still think when everyone is fit and ready and we don't have a mire of overlapping injuries we're a lot better than this.

Completely opposite thought here. Not despairing at finishing last and getting first pick of each round, and rookie draft, but do not want AFL's sympathy or draft pick.

I want us to do as we have in past couple of years, trade well, draft cleverly and build our own list. I don't want anyone saying we only won the premiership in ?????? because of the AFL's priority picks. Equate that to the same charity (at a far lower level, that was given to Suns and Giants) and do not want to be anyone's charity case.

So for me, definitely do not want a charity pick.

Completely opposite thought here. Not despairing at finishing last and getting first pick of each round, and rookie draft, but do not want AFL's sympathy or draft pick.

I want us to do as we have in past couple of years, trade well, draft cleverly and build our own list. I don't want anyone saying we only won the premiership in ?????? because of the AFL's priority picks. Equate that to the same charity (at a far lower level, that was given to Suns and Giants) and do not want to be anyone's charity case.

If we win a premiership couldn't give a flying F@#k what anyone says they can kiss my ass

If we win a premiership couldn't give a flying F@#k what anyone says they can kiss my ass
Amen.

Reckon the GWS/GC 'supporters' are going to give a straight * what is said about their concessions when they start lifting cups?

While I can see your point I don't think it will work like that if we only get 1 or 2 priority picks. The Hawks got a priority pick in 04 and 05 and picked up Roughy and Ellis and both of those players played in 08. Nobody claims that the Hawks only won because of those two picks so we would only have the usual idiot fans that like to take pot shots at us.

People would only have a point if we end up with a crap load of PP's but I really can't see us getting more than one (if we even get one). If we beat GC or GWS for a flag I don't think people will care if we have 10 PP's.

There are plenty of teams that have PP's that haven't won flags so they aren't exactly a golden ticket straight to the grand final. A lot more than a couple extra draft picks are need to win a flag and if people can't see that then there is no point bothering with them.

Basically, I think the only people that would be spouting crap like that are the usual trolls that we should just ignore.

While I can see your point I don't think it will work like that if we only get 1 or 2 priority picks. The Hawks got a priority pick in 04 and 05 and picked up Roughy and Ellis and both of those players played in 08. Nobody claims that the Hawks only won because of those two picks so we would only have the usual idiot fans that like to take pot shots at us.

People would only have a point if we end up with a crap load of PP's but I really can't see us getting more than one (if we even get one). If we beat GC or GWS for a flag I don't think people will care if we have 10 PP's.

There are plenty of teams that have PP's that haven't won flags so they aren't exactly a golden ticket straight to the grand final. A lot more than a couple extra draft picks are need to win a flag and if people can't see that then there is no point bothering with them.

Basically, I think the only people that would be spouting crap like that are the usual trolls that we should just ignore.

Good point. Sign me up for one then.

:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back