D-Gen / The Late Show skit

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting through season 2... I should have known better, it is very hit or miss like season 1 (which I think really picks up in the second half of the season) but episode 5 is a cracking episode (and a lot of it captured in the Best of sets), including this masterpiece:

One thing I am surprised about, I'm almost halfway through the season and they haven't started doing Bargearse yet. I'd assumed it was season long like the Olden Days was, but I'm guessing it will start up soon.

Also, the mix up with musical guests is a highlight at the end of each episode. They smash it every time. I think my thoughts on season 2 so far is the pre-taped skits they've worked on are gold but a lot of in the studio live stuff is falling flat (they did it a lot better in season 1). It might be that Judith Lucy is part of the cast now and makes a few gaffs, plus her schtick is a bit played out after a while. I still like her, but seems like she was trying too hard.

Code:
https://archive.org/details/champagnecomedy

I posted it on page 1 when I bumped the thread a week or so back :) hopefully people noticed it. You can save every episode as well, which is handy. I recommend people do it, who knows when stuff will be taken down.
Thank you thank you thank you for this

I've been working my way through it, thanks to the archive.org downloads. So far I've watched all of season 1, and the first 6 episodes of season 2.

I thought season 1 was great. Sure there was the occasional joke/sketch that fell flat, but that's always going to happen. Those were more than compensated by the number of laugh out loud moments. I absolutely loved "The Olden Days"... Mud!!!

Season 2 has been a massive disappointment so far. Many of the segments which made the first season so great are gone - think "The Olden Days" being replaced by the utter shite that is "Charlie the Wonder Dog", then there's the constant plugs for the video, the stupid "champagne comedy" crap, and the running gag where one of the cast goes off on an angry rant which ends when someone empties a fire extinguisher on them. None of these additions are funny... at all. They needed another female performer, given that Jane Kennedy was the only female troupe member in the first season, but Judith Lucy has not been a good addition.

The concept behind "Charlie the Wonder Dog" is a good one - taking the piss out of shows like Skippy/Flipper/Lassie, where <insert animal here> is constantly saving the day. Unfortunately, the execution is bloody awful, and it's a 5 minute hole in the show every week. The Toilet Break material is better than CtWD.

I assume they came up with Bargearse as a replacement for CtWD, when they realised just how bad it was? I keep hearing about Bargearse, but I haven't seen an episode with it yet. Hopefully it's coming soon!

Things I do like about the 2nd season are the "mistaken" artist bookings for the closing song, and the "Pot Luck" toilet breaks (Piffy - the bell ringer - was outstanding). I'm looking forward to seeing Joan Kirner, who I assume will be mistakenly booked in place of Joan Jett.

Nah Charlie TWD was great and Bargearse waay funnier than The Olden Days.
I haven't seen Bargearse yet. Looking forward to it though, because I keep hearing good things about it.

Charlie sux. Good concept, but the execution was about as funny as a fart in an elevator.

I haven't seen Bargearse yet. Looking forward to it though, because I keep hearing good things about it.

Charlie sux. Good concept, but the execution was about as funny as a fart in an elevator.
I believe for s2 they had another show ready to go for their 'olden days' thing but the powers that be decided that they might get another run out of the source material so nixed the parody, which is why Bargearse might have been late on the scene as it was a last minute thing. To be honest I can't remember anything much about Charlie the Wonder Dog.

I believe for s2 they had another show ready to go for their 'olden days' thing but the powers that be decided that they might get another run out of the source material so nixed the parody, which is why Bargearse might have been late on the scene as it was a last minute thing. To be honest I can't remember anything much about Charlie the Wonder Dog.
Your explanation about Bargearse & the lack of a direct replacement for The Olden Days makes sense to me.

Charlie wasn't a voice over parody, it was a segment starring "the piss weak kids", Bud Tingwell (as their grandfather), plus the dog. It was parodying shows like Skippy & Flipper, where the show's title animal always comes through to save the day. Good concept, and those shows are ripe for skewering... it's just that the execution wasn't in the least bit funny.

Your explanation about Bargearse & the lack of a direct replacement for The Olden Days makes sense to me.

Charlie wasn't a voice over parody, it was a segment starring "the piss weak kids", Bud Tingwell (as their grandfather), plus the dog. It was parodying shows like Skippy & Flipper, where the show's title animal always comes through to save the day. Good concept, and those shows are ripe for skewering... it's just that the execution wasn't in the least bit funny.
I have 2 Golden Retrievers and to me Charlie the Wonderdog is piss in your pants funny.

Perhaps you can only appreciate the absurdity by being familiar with this breed?

I have 2 Golden Retrievers and to me Charlie the Wonderdog is piss in your pants funny.

Perhaps you can only appreciate the absurdity by being familiar with this breed?
The dog's complete and utter lack of interest and obedience is what makes it funny, you are right it probably wouldn't work with and other type of dog.

Nope.

I've never owned a dog in my entire life and loved Charlie the Wonderdog

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back