FTA-TV Your Best TV Show - Ever!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Having a discussion about watching The Sopranos (for the first time) and some posters started mentioning how it was in their top 3 or top 5 shows of all time

I wouldnt go so far as to say that but I recognise the critical acclaim it received at the time and its position as most viewers top show. For me , maybe I needed to watch it at the time to get the vibe of it.

Others say Lost is up there, or The Wire , Breaking Bad and Dexter version 1

Here is Rolling Stones top 100

On another level I think Streaming services have overloaded our ability to critically watch a show with the full enjoyment FTA weekly watching brought.

Off the top of my head mine are in no order

Squid Game
The Good Place
Dexter (no reboot)
Hill St Blues
Cheers
Twin Peaks
House of Cards ( before the butchered season 5)
Roots - Mini Series
The Great Bookie Robbery - Mini Series
Twilight Zone (Original)
Bodyguard (UK)

Some shows went on too long
Game of Thrones
House of Cards
MASH

House of Cards ( before the butchered season 5)

Some shows went on too long

House of Cards
House of Cards got butchered because of the Spacey scandal, so not entirely the writers fault.

Those first few seasons, for a person like myself thats not at all interested in politics let alone US politics, was absolutely gripping drama.:thumbsu:

Breaking Bad is still the best TV show I've ever seen.

Then (in no particular order):
The Wire
Seinfeld
The Orville
Game of Thrones (not the prequel)
Rick & Morty
Firefly
Fawlty Towers
Black Adder
BoJack Horseman
The Mandalorian
Mr. Bean
Red Dwarf

Last edited:
Came in here to also say:

Fawlty Towers

God, I hope they don't crap all over its legacy with whatever Cleese has planned for an upcoming potential return. For those unaware; yes, it is on the cards!

Best show made is the wire for mine. My favourite show is arrested development though.

I haven't watched the wire in years, as despite feeling it's brilliant, it's not something I want to spend 60 hours with regularly.

Arrested development I'll watch the first 3 seasons of every couple of years. Might start rewatching again soon now I've thought of it.

Breaking bad and deadwood both up there for best made shows as well.

The Bob Morrison Show. Much underrated, groundbreaking series that documented suburban Australia from the first ‘person’ perspective of a family dog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Came in here to also say:

Fawlty Towers

God, I hope they don't crap all over its legacy with whatever Cleese has planned for an upcoming potential return. For those unaware; yes, it is on the cards!
It will be different. Don't know if his daughter is funny or not. Definitely can't get away with some stuff they did

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Attack on titan (best show of the last decade)
breaking bad
buffy the vampire slayer
evangelion
band of brothers
beserk
coupling (best sitcom of all time - yes even better then seinfeld)
rick and morty
chernobyl
full metal alchemist

shows the would of made it if not for terrible endings
Game of thrones
lost

Last edited:
House of Cards got butchered because of the Spacey scandal, so not entirely the writers fault.

Those first few seasons, for a person like myself thats not at all interested in politics let alone US politics, was absolutely gripping drama.:thumbsu:
Think it fell a Part the season before when the murder reveals were absolute let downs and he just gave up the presidency without much of a fight at all.

I've gotta go

Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Ozark
Seinfeld
The Office
Fargo

Don't really have a favourite but there are a few shows I go back to regularly when I'm after something to watch.

X-Files - If I had to name a favourite it is probably this one as it was a real game changer back in the 90's, but like all shows of this nature the quality is uneven, there are some alltime great episodes, but also some stinkers.
Longmire - A very unrated show that didn't overstay it's welcome. It would have been nice to see a spin off with his daughter as the new Sheriff.
Person Of Interest - Started off great, lost steam in the last few seasons but was still a great series.
The Last Ship - Another under rated show that not many people know about. It was a about a man-made virus that spread around the world killing billions of people, the final season was in 2019, and then in 2020...
Continuum - Canadian Time Travel show which was very well made and really interesting. Only four season were made, and the final season was only made available on a streaming service which was frustrating.
Orphan Black - Another Candian show which is included an amazing performance from the lead actress who had to play nine different characters.
Justified - Another great show only went for five seasons.
Castle - The Richard Castle character bugs me a little, but his "muse" on the other hand is infinitely watchable, has to be one of the most stunning women on TV.

And a couple of show I loved growing up, perhaps a little dated these days, but still fun to watch on occasion.
Bewitched - not something I can sit down and watch in one long session, but a couple of episodes at a time can be a nice way to spend an lazy afternoon.
MASH - much like Bewitched, in small doses is still a fun show.
The Bionic Woman - The 1970's series, not the 2010 reboot.

My Top Ten. I've only included dramas. No sitcoms, docos or reality shows.

Six Feet Under
Big Love
Dallas
From
Bates Motel
Carnivale
Hannibal
The Sullivans
The Wonder Years
American Horror Story

The first 3 seasons or so of The Walking Dead were up there with the best TV ever but after that it declined dramatically.

Apparently Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic hated each other in real life
Jealousy's a curse, I don't think he liked the fact that Stana became more popular than him, and the series became more about her character than his. When he tried to have Stana removed from the show, everything collapsed and the series was gone within a couple of weeks.

X-Files - If I had to name a favourite it is probably this one as it was a real game changer back in the 90's, but like all shows of this nature the quality is uneven, there are some alltime great episodes, but also some stinkers.
Yeah I recently rewatched the first two episodes since it first aired and thought to myself - “how the hell did this amateur hour ever even get the green light!?”

Obviously improved but it was a shocker in the beginning. 🤣

Yeah I recently rewatched the first two episodes since it first aired and thought to myself - “how the hell did this amateur hour ever even get the green light!?”

Obviously improved but it was a shocker in the beginning. 🤣
It got better as Stana's hair grew longer. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back