Your Movie and TV Hot Takes

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to find modern movies exhausting.

I often prefer to watch older movies, with far narrower scope where nobody learns anything.

I can't think of anything more boring than a discussion on what constitutes a Christmas movie. Even typing out this take is exhausting and I have just put more thought in to the subject than I like.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I tend to find modern movies exhausting.

I often prefer to watch older movies, with far narrower scope where nobody learns anything.
I've noticed that comedy movies just aren't funny anymore. I Remember the classics like Airplane, Fletch, Naked Gun etc. Now most comedies are trashy and cringey.

I've noticed that comedy movies just aren't funny anymore. I Remember the classics like Airplane, Fletch, Naked Gun etc. Now most comedies are trashy and cringey.
All of what you described are very dry comedies. All brilliant, but they don't make many that style anymore. Horrible Bosses was on telly the other night and it's perfectly fine for a modern comedy, but it is more obvious in style.

40 year old virgin (while hilarious) has a lot to answer for, changing the direction and inspiring that style of comedy for many other movies over the next few years :-/.

Low budget comedies have gone out of fashion in terms of cinema releases. But they were still pretty big in the 2000s with films like Hot Fuzz, Tropic Thunder, Mean Girls, 40-Year-Old Virgin, Anchorman, Zoolander all classics, 21 Jump Street, Bridesmaids, Pitch Perfect all being in popular in the early 2010s. Then there’s the acquired tastes like Wes Anderson, the Knives Out movies. Comedy is alive and kicking but they have kinda been pushed out of cinemas and on to streaming so perhaps not as memorable to the average filmgoer.

40 year old virgin (while hilarious) has a lot to answer for, changing the direction and inspiring that style of comedy for many other movies over the next few years :-/.
It does feel like we’re due for another big comedy.

Movies like 40 year old virgin, the hangover, American pie, etc defined the next 5-10 years of comedies following. Haven’t had any like that for a while.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back