Your Movie and TV Hot Takes

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha yeah rest assured phantom, it’s Ridley’s most inessential, the last I’d save from a fire. Not bad, not good, just fine and a tad dull, so whack away (within moderation).

I think the 70s Disney is the standout since Errol. Agree Elwes was a better Robin than Kevin. I like a lot of Costner films but meh about that one in particular. Someone like Kevin Kline would’ve done a decent Robin, his Douglas Fairbanks was a beaut in Chaplin (apparently he has played Errol too) and he was well suited for the moustache-twirling lighthearted swashbuckler type.
Apart from a few good films in the early years, Ridley's filmography drops away in quality and has a lot of filler.

Unlike his far superior brother's catalogue.

Apart from a few good films in the early years, Ridley's filmography drops away in quality and has a lot of filler.

Unlike his far superior brother's catalogue.
Have to disagree with your hot take. I adore Tone but he is no Rids and more filler-prone (from my preferences standpoint, ymmv). I could even give you a full ranking of their films combined to clarify this (hint: Rids wins). For brevity sake I’ll just list Tone’s stuff to give you an emphatic comparative picture:

6. Top Gun
13. Crimson Tide
14. Man on Fire
15. Déjà Vu
24. The Hunger
27. True Romance
30. The Last Boy Scout
33. Unstoppable
35. Enemy of the State
36. Spy Game
Robin Hood
38. The Fan
39. Beverly Hills Cop II
40. Domino
41. The Taking of Pelham 123
42. Days of Thunder
43. Revenge (43/43)

Last edited:
Have to disagree with your hot take. I adore Tone but he is no Rids and more filler-prone (from my preferences standpoint, ymmv). I could even give you a full ranking of their films combined to clarify this (hint: Rids wins). For brevity sake I’ll just list Tone’s stuff to give you an emphatic comparative picture:

6. Top Gun
13. Crimson Tide
14. Man on Fire
15. Déjà Vu
24. The Hunger
27. True Romance
30. The Last Boy Scout
33. Unstoppable
35. Enemy of the State
36. Spy Game
Robin Hood
38. The Fan
39. Beverly Hills Cop II
40. Domino
41. The Taking of Pelham 123
42. Days of Thunder
43. Revenge (43/43)
Sorry, what is this ranking supposed to represent? Are you suggesting Ridley made 11 movies better than Crimson Tide and Man on Fire?

But fair enough, however my point was Ridley started strongly then dropped away. His last great movie was Black Hawk Down in 2001. Since then, Tony made Man on Fire, Deja Vu and Unstoppable. All 3 better than anything Ridley made in the same period (maybe Body of Lies is on par). But granted, Tony had Denzel helping very much, but Denzel didn't help Ridley with American Gangster.

Sorry, what is this ranking supposed to represent? Are you suggesting Ridley made 11 movies better than Crimson Tide and Man on Fire?

But fair enough, however my point was Ridley started strongly then dropped away. His last great movie was Black Hawk Down in 2001. Since then, Tony made Man on Fire, Deja Vu and Unstoppable. All 3 better than anything Ridley made in the same period (maybe Body of Lies is on par). But granted, Tony had Denzel helping very much, but Denzel didn't help Ridley with American Gangster.
Yeh of his recent stuff all I can really recall liking of Ridley’s are

Matchstick Men
Black Hawk Down
Body of Lies
The Martian

I didn’t mind all the money in the world and Kingdom of Heaven but they aren’t great.

Plus some of his stuff is flat out terrible (The Counsellor, A Good Year).

Hot takes is silly as usual. It's about personal opinions. Both Scott brothers have made some great movies and their best work is in the past. This is how I would rank them.

RankingDirectorYearMovie
1​
Ridley
2000​
Gladiator
2​
Ridley
2005​
Kingdom of Heaven
3​
Ridley
1982​
Blade Runner
4​
Ridley
2001​
Black Hawk Down
5​
Ridley
1979​
Alien
6​
Tony
1986​
Top Gun
7​
Ridley
1991​
Thelma & Louise
8​
Tony
1993​
True Romance
9​
Tony
2004​
Man on Fire
10​
Ridley
2015​
The Martian
11​
Ridley
2007​
American Gangster
12​
Tony
1998​
Enemy of the State
13​
Tony
1995​
Crimson Tide

Gladiator = awful. Switched it off half an hour into it
Gladiator GIF

Death No GIF

(fwiw I loved it as a kid)

Hot takes is silly as usual. It's about personal opinions. Both Scott brothers have made some great movies and their best work is in the past. This is how I would rank them.

RankingDirectorYearMovie
1​
Ridley
2000​
Gladiator
2​
Ridley
2005​
Kingdom of Heaven
3​
Ridley
1982​
Blade Runner
4​
Ridley
2001​
Black Hawk Down
5​
Ridley
1979​
Alien
6​
Tony
1986​
Top Gun
7​
Ridley
1991​
Thelma & Louise
8​
Tony
1993​
True Romance
9​
Tony
2004​
Man on Fire
10​
Ridley
2015​
The Martian
11​
Ridley
2007​
American Gangster
12​
Tony
1998​
Enemy of the State
13​
Tony
1995​
Crimson Tide
Kingdom of Heaven at two?

Gladiator = awful. Switched it off half an hour into it
Not entertained by Gladiator?

how i met your mother barney GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What it represents was clearly stated, and you guessed the suggestion correctly. I'm a big fan of Crimson Tide, Man on Fire and Deja Vu (and Denzel), Ridley just had a lot of great stuff beyond a few Denzels, y'know (interesting you overlook The Taking of Pelham 123). It can also be deduced that 9 of the bottom 11 are Tony. Even with this supposed Ridley 2002 fall-off, his very next film Matchstick Men was the best thing he'd made since Thelma & Louise. Even though it's just my opinion, I'm just providing evidence that your take through sheer weight of numbers doesn't necessarily stack up. It's not a competition, I think Tony is awesome, I like all their early shorts as well and was devastated when he died.

Love all these hot takes recently by the way.

Maybe this one can spark more discussion since sci-fi is arguably my favourite movie genre:

Interstellar and The Arrival were hailed as genre-breaking and redefining sci-fi movies. I found both tedious and overrated. And Gravity was crap. Give me more Edge of Tomorrows which is a good concept having fun with itself.

Maybe this one can spark more discussion:

Interstellar and The Arrival were hailed as genre-breaking and redefining sci-fi movies. I found both tedious and overrated. And Gravity was crap. Give me more Edge of Tomorrows which is a good concept having fun with itself.

Yeah I thought that was absolute rubbish too. Never seen the other one.

Yeah I thought that was absolute rubbish too. Never seen the other one.

It's Nolan - so make of it what you will. A handful of nice concepts but I just didn't think it was well executed. Stylish, though.

The Arrival is raved about but take away the twist and it's a middling alien movie imo. Maybe I'd react differently if I had kids, I dunno.

Maybe this one can spark more discussion since sci-fi is arguably my favourite movie genre:

Interstellar had more of a mixed reception on release (compared to Gravity and Arrival). It was more of a Nolan bro niche thing for a few years (ala Tenet). I don't rate Interstellar or Arrival, I'd agree Edge of Tomorrow is superior to them as an overall film. Still, films like Interstellar and Arrival, even when they aren't flawless, are interesting for their ambition and will tend to appeal strongly to a select devoted audience for offering something a little different. I love my space films and occasionally go in hard for them (Ad Astra was one which a few of us have recently mentioned in the forum).

It's Nolan - so make of it what you will. A handful of nice concepts but I just didn't think it was well executed. Stylish, though.

The Arrival is raved about but take away the twist and it's a middling alien movie imo. Maybe I'd react differently if I had kids, I dunno.

Speaking of kids, dunno how this thought popped in my head...

Sophie's Choice.
Rubbish.

And not even sad. I was like :shrug: yeah ok, and?

Speaking of kids, dunno how this thought popped in my head...

Sophie's Choice.
Rubbish.

And not even sad. I was like :shrug: yeah ok, and?
hear hear, I think it's rubbish too. There are some people out there who treat that film as the pinnacle, it's really baffling. Indeed, I think Lange was better that year in Frances. Meryl is good, but the surrounding film is just baity crap.

Oh and let's do my own ranking of Christopher Nolan movies, I'm going to put myself out on this one (post-Memento, I haven't seen any of this before that)

1. Inception (the perfect film imo, original story, great effects, good acting by the ensemble cast, loved the ending)
  2. The Prestige (captivating, twists, a story that makes sense with few of the things that annoy me about Nolan)
  3. Memento (now THIS is truly innovative story telling, this set the standard for his later films)
  4. The Dark Knight (standard inclusion)
  5. The Dark Knight Rises (also standard)
  6. Batman Begins (see the other Batman movies)
  7. Oppenheimer (nice I guess, but I ain't watching this one again any time soon)
  8. Interstellar (some nice ideas, execution could do with work)
  9. Dunkirk (yawn, I didn't find this as interesting as others, nice sound though I guess)
  10. Tenet (the sound mixing in this one annoyed me greatly, it should be up there, really original concept again but he f***ed it overall even if there were some great scenes like the backwards car chase)
  11. Insomnia (haven't seen it in ages, maybe unfair to put it here, perhaps it was a good psych thriller)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back