D1 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So based on your reasoning, there are five other sides wasting their time this season?

Final four down to a race in 5 already - tell us why?
No there not wasting there time, my thoughts are based on D1 last year where the top four teams and there W/L ratio when they played at home.
after rd 18
Hampton 16-2 - 0 losses at home
Williamstown 13-5 - 1 loss at home
Ormond 12-6 - 2 losses at home
Prahan 11-7 - 3 losses at home
Whitefriars 10-8 - 4 losses at home.

As an example, correctly Ormond were 2-4 after 6, 3 of which were away games. they finished the season with only 2 more losses.

As I said this year will be similar to last year, if you win all your home games and pinch at least half of your away games you should finals.
My thoughts only, speculating on how the top 5 to fight it out.

No there not wasting there time, my thoughts are based on D1 last year where the top four teams...,,

As I said this year will be similar to last year.

Ok, cool.

I can only see a couple of minor flaws here:

1. There are 3 different teams in D1 this year;

2. Club lists in the VAFA usually turn over 25-30% of their senior team from year to year;

3. Fails to account for injuries to key players

4. Fails to account for:

(i) new coaches,
(ii) variable game plans,
(iii) confidence or lack thereof in a club's playing group at a given point in time during the season
(iv) influx from juniors to senior ranks during the season
(v) lack of match ups for opposition key players from week to week
(vi) spate of injuries at critical times
(vii) overseas/World Cup player "drift" in June/July

Leaving the above aside, it's a pretty sound approach you've got there.

:thumbsu:

Ok, cool.

I can only see a couple of minor flaws here:

1. There are 3 different teams in D1 this year;

2. Club lists in the VAFA usually turn over 25-30% of their senior team from year to year;

3. Fails to account for injuries to key players

4. Fails to account for:

(i) new coaches,
(ii) variable game plans,
(iii) confidence or lack thereof in a club's playing group at a given point in time during the season
(iv) influx from juniors to senior ranks during the season
(v) lack of match ups for opposition key players from week to week
(vi) spate of injuries at critical times
(vii) overseas/World Cup player "drift" in June/July

Leaving the above aside, it's a pretty sound approach you've got there.

:thumbsu:

All on the money points,
There is just one more to add
luck...

Hello Gents,

I was fortunate enough to have some time this weekend taking the grand-kids down once more to Donvale reserve. I was wondering why there was a match being played of Yarra Valley VS Prahan? It was quite a spectacle with the conditions playing nicely into the intensity and emotion in the game, but why was this game played at Donvale? I must say it was much to my surprise, just how much enjoyment I have taken out of viewing these matches just by pure chance. I now somewhat feel as though I am vicariously connected to not only this league (VAFA) but also to this Division. I say this purely due to the fact that in my previous 67 years I had only had an involvement in EFL and VFL clubs (and AFL naturally, but only at a supporter level). I look forward to continuing to see matches in this league, whether intentionally or as often has been the case in the past, by chance. If you see me down there please introduce yourself. Chances are I will be wearing my North Melbourne club jacket.

Kind Regards,

Keith Waddell.

Hello Gents,

I was fortunate enough to have some time this weekend taking the grand-kids down once more to Donvale reserve. I was wondering why there was a match being played of Yarra Valley VS Prahan? It was quite a spectacle with the conditions playing nicely into the intensity and emotion in the game, but why was this game played at Donvale? I must say it was much to my surprise, just how much enjoyment I have taken out of viewing these matches just by pure chance. I now somewhat feel as though I am vicariously connected to not only this league (VAFA) but also to this Division. I say this purely due to the fact that in my previous 67 years I had only had an involvement in EFL and VFL clubs (and AFL naturally, but only at a supporter level). I look forward to continuing to see matches in this league, whether intentionally or as often has been the case in the past, by chance. If you see me down there please introduce yourself. Chances are I will be wearing my North Melbourne club jacket.

Kind Regards,

Keith Waddell.
You do know people can look at your posting history, right?

Hello Gents,

Kind Regards,

Keith Waddell.

I believe they are supposed to be playing at Doncaster reserve but it isn't up to standard yet so Donvale reserve would be 1 in the local council area that was free that afternoon

I believe they are supposed to be playing at Doncaster reserve but it isn't up to standard yet so Donvale reserve would be 1 in the local council area that was free that afternoon

Hi Eddiesmith,

Thanks for that information! I live quite nearby to the area, hence my regular attendance at Donvale. I think I will mostly be getting around the Whitefriars and Yarra games on account of the convenience of distance! I look forward to it.

Kind regards,

Keith W.

Hello Gents,

Kind Regards,

Keith Waddell.

Flog. Don't post this garbage.

Was an enthralling game at Como Park yesterday for OGFC v MHSOB. OGFC (4th) were having one of their members (Pivot Club) lunches and MHSOB (10th) are just 500m down Alexandra Ave so a healthy crowd turned out. OG led by 2 goals at the first change but kicked 1.7 to 6.1 in the second as the Hamilton-Hos did the damage for the Unicorns alongside Taft as they built a 13 point lead at the half.

There was a bit of niggle in the 2nd quarter as OG defender Xavier Shiels was sent off for putting a MHSOB player in a headlock on the wing, then just on the siren MHSOB defender Kane Smith threw the ball at OG player Matt Collister's head which led to a bit of push and shove in front of the pavilion.

The MHSOB supporters were outnumbered but seemed the louder in the 3rd quarter as the game see-sawed. OGFC talisman Cal Wood was sensational, clunking marks and, unlike his wayward teammates, kicking them from everywhere to pull his side to within a kick before MHSOB steadied the ship to lead by 9 at the last break.

OG coach Frank Dunell implored his side to be more direct in the last but the Unicorns weren't having any of it early on as the OGGS wasted a couple of early chances before the unicorns kicked the first major of the term. The teams traded goals but when Dylan Hamilton-Ho set up an easy goal for Anthony Svirskis with about 10 minutes left, the unicorns were ahead by 13 points and almost looked home. Unfortunately for them OG found something as Aaron Bird goaled on the run and Cal Wood kicked his 6th to make it one point with 5 mins to play. The OGGS crowd now found their voice and only two minutes later Aaron Bird swept onto the loose ball on Half Forward and kicked truly from 35m to put OG in front for the first time since early in the 2nd and send the home crowd into raptures. The last couple of minutes were tense but the OGFC defence held their nerve with Nathan Hobson and Colby O'Brien both holding crucial marks as OG prevailed in a comeback thriller by 5 points.

The win was vital for OG as they stay in 4th at 4-2 albeit with a poor percentage - a loss could have had major repercussions with away games against Old Mentone and Bulleen Temp to come. MHSOB were gallant in defeat but no less devastated with a couple of audible expletives in the rooms after the game indicating this was one that got away. Their performance yesterday was better than their position indicates so while they are in the relegation zone, in no way is that a foregone conclusion.

The sides next meet in Round 18.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was an enthralling game at Como Park yesterday for OGFC v MHSOB. OGFC (4th) were having one of their members (Pivot Club) lunches and MHSOB (10th) are just 500m down Alexandra Ave so a healthy crowd turned out. OG led by 2 goals at the first change but kicked 1.7 to 6.1 in the second as the Hamilton-Hos did the damage for the Unicorns alongside Taft as they built a 13 point lead at the half.

There was a bit of niggle in the 2nd quarter as OG defender Xavier Shiels was sent off for putting a MHSOB player in a headlock on the wing, then just on the siren MHSOB defender Kane Smith threw the ball at OG player Matt Collister's head which led to a bit of push and shove in front of the pavilion.

The MHSOB supporters were outnumbered but seemed the louder in the 3rd quarter as the game see-sawed. OGFC talisman Cal Wood was sensational, clunking marks and, unlike his wayward teammates, kicking them from everywhere to pull his side to within a kick before MHSOB steadied the ship to lead by 9 at the last break.

OG coach Frank Dunell implored his side to be more direct in the last but the Unicorns weren't having any of it early on as the OGGS wasted a couple of early chances before the unicorns kicked the first major of the term. The teams traded goals but when Dylan Hamilton-Ho set up an easy goal for Anthony Svirskis with about 10 minutes left, the unicorns were ahead by 13 points and almost looked home. Unfortunately for them OG found something as Aaron Bird goaled on the run and Cal Wood kicked his 6th to make it one point with 5 mins to play. The OGGS crowd now found their voice and only two minutes later Aaron Bird swept onto the loose ball on Half Forward and kicked truly from 35m to put OG in front for the first time since early in the 2nd. The last couple of minutes were tense but the OGFC defence held their nerve with Nathan Hobson and Colby O'Brien both holding crucial marks as OG prevailed in a comeback thriller by 5 points.

The win was vital for OG as they stay in 4th at 4-2 albeit with a poor percentage - a loss could have had major repercussions with away games against Old Mentone and Bulleen Temp to come. MHSOB were gallant in defeat but no less devastated with a couple of audible expletives in the rooms after the game indicating this was one that got away. Their performance yesterday was better than their position indicates so while they are in the relegation zone, in no way is that a foregone conclusion.

The sides next meet in Round 18.

Like it.

Wish I could say the same about yesterday's grand final rematch (D2).

14_07_d1.gif

:eek:We all love stats nowadays, and whilst the premiership ladder always remains the true measure of success, here is a snapshot of how the clubs are maintaining stability and consistency in their playing group.

Let's call it the Stability Ladder

Team total players/6 games+

Very stable

OMs 29/15
Prahran 31/14
OGs 32/15

Pretty stable

Yarra 35/16
Therry 35/15
NOBSPC 35/14
BTemp 35/14
Willy 36/15

Unstable
Whitefriars 41/12
MHSOB 42/6

The higher the spot on the ladder, the better your club is performing re: maintaining a stable core list.

Kudos to OMs physios and coaching staff for no doubt getting close to their best 22 on the park so often.

As for MHSOB and to a lesser extent Whitefriars, those numbers of players used (exceeding 40 already) with so few regulars are alarming in the extreme!!

:eek:We all love stats nowadays, and whilst the premiership ladder always remains the true measure of success, here is a snapshot of how the clubs are maintaining stability and consistency in their playing group.

Let's call it the Stability Ladder

Team total players/6 games+

Very stable

OMs 29/15
Prahran 31/14
OGs 32/15

Pretty stable

Yarra 35/16
Therry 35/15
NOBSPC 35/14
BTemp 35/14
Willy 36/15

Unstable
Whitefriars 41/12
MHSOB 42/6

The higher the spot on the ladder, the better your club is performing re: maintaining a stable core list.

Kudos to OMs physios and coaching staff for no doubt getting close to their best 22 on the park so often.

As for MHSOB and to a lesser extent Whitefriars, those numbers of players used (exceeding 40 already) with so few regulars are alarming in the extreme!!

More garbage.

Definitely believe the "unstable sides" are hurt by the number of players they have to play and the number of players who have played 6+ games.

But "Kudos to OMs"?? Give me a spell. Shows they've got no depth beyond 29 players, exampled by their poor reserves side.

Interesting to see the "Pretty stable" teams. 35-36 blokes that can play seniors, and teams closer to the top of the ladder obviously have better class running through all 36.

More garbage.

Definitely believe the "unstable sides" are hurt by the number of players they have to play and the number of players who have played 6+ games.

But "Kudos to OMs"?? Give me a spell. Shows they've got no depth beyond 29 players, exampled by their poor reserves side.

Interesting to see the "Pretty stable" teams. 35-36 blokes that can play seniors, and teams closer to the top of the ladder obviously have better class running through all 36.

the d2 peanut

More garbage.

Leaving aside the rude start, you obviously agree that unstable sides are suffering, and three of the pretty stable sides have classier lists than the other two. Your comments on OMs, whilst perhaps correct re: lack of depth still don't explain how they've won 4 matches and run Willy to within a kick, despite lacking depth. Maybe their top players are carrying the bottom 6?

Just thought I'd try to make more logic out of your post - no offence intended. Will be interesting to see if club have started to feel pressure through mid-year overseas departures to the World Cup and northern summer.

Good work by the friars getting back on the winners list.

However i was a little disappointed by the behaviour of some of the bull-ants supporters. The whitefriars twos players got behind their club and showed some spirited support for their team from behind the goals, then as they walked out to show more support at the 3rd quarter huddle violence was threatened by some of the bullants supporters. I also overheard one the their coaching staff inviting one of them to "meet him in the car park after the game". There is just no place for trying to instigate off field violence in the vafa and they really portrayed their club in a negative light.

The day did finish on a good note as the whitefriars supporters hurried over from the other side of the ground to clap off a 200 game milestone player from the opposition and I was delighted with the maturity and sportsmanship that they displayed to rise above the threats from the opposition.

The good times continued into the night with the club celebrating at the annual ball, I had to smile when speaking to a member of the social committee who told me that they chose the date at the start of the year as they knew bulleen would be an easy win and put everyone in a good mood for the night.

Leaving aside the rude start, you obviously agree that unstable sides are suffering, and three of the pretty stable sides have classier lists than the other two. Your comments on OMs, whilst perhaps correct re: lack of depth still don't explain how they've won 4 matches and run Willy to within a kick, despite lacking depth. Maybe their top players are carrying the bottom 6?

Just thought I'd try to make more logic out of your post - no offence intended. Will be interesting to see if club have started to feel pressure through mid-year overseas departures to the World Cup and northern summer.

Difference between very stable and pretty stable irrelevant. It's not the AFL where the class is equal across all sides.

Yes I agree unstable teams are affected.

As for OM, they beat the most unstable side in MHSOB. Beat Prahan who can't win away from home. Beat Bulleen who lack class. And beat Old Geelong- great scalp there. Also Willy Rd 1 were underdone.

Still yet to play Therry and NOBS. Can prove me wrong but unless their physios are superstar footballers, doubt they can get them a win in the next two rounds.

Might have helped em get a scalp over Old Geelong but other 3 wins are no surprises.

Good work by the friars getting back on the winners list.

The good times continued into the night with the club celebrating at the annual ball, I had to smile when speaking to a member of the social committee who told me that they chose the date at the start of the year as they knew bulleen would be an easy win and put everyone in a good mood for the night.

Nice post Clown !

After losing both games to BT last season and with the game in the balance at 3/4 time Saturday - of course it was a 'given' to book your ball on this date.

Don't try and explain how you all rose above the circumstances and then throw a pathetic cheap shot - Weak as p**s Kruzer ! ! !

Nice post Clown !

After losing both games to BT last season and with the game in the balance at 3/4 time Saturday - of course it was a 'given' to book your ball on this date.

Don't try and explain how you all rose above the circumstances and then throw a pathetic cheap shot - Weak as p**s Kruzer ! ! !

*sigh*

I guess an abusive big footy post is an improvement on threatening to bash people in the car park after the game.

Good luck for the rest of the season. (from what I saw Saturday you are certainly going to need it)

Righto.

Lock Therry, then 3 spots for 6 teams.

In my mind, lock NOBS and Willy for 2nd and 3rd.

One spot for 4 teams (my order below).

Prahran
Old Geelong
Whitefriars
Old Mentonians

*sigh*

I guess an abusive big footy post is an improvement on threatening to bash people in the car park after the game.

Good luck for the rest of the season. (from what I saw Saturday you are certainly going to need it)

And your own cheap shot - willing to offer anything ? Or happy to hide ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back