D1 2016 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 must have been a big year of celebrations for the Monders... My history knowledge clearly isn't as good as yours so you'll have to remind me... How many premierships did those 3 grand finals yield? I don't know beamsy on the contrary it sounds like there might be a massive culture issue at E.E. Gunn! And once you've made this year's grand final which was apparently assured after round 2, how do you think you'll go winning it? Hope those blue collars aren't too tight!![2 posts of little substance , or maybe you might have been on some, now toddle off back where you came from.

Therry went from a mediocre side to consecutive promotions, Kew as well. SMS were rubbish in D2 2-3 years back, all of a sudden they were thumping everyone.

Club fortunes in amateur footy change very quickly, like I said clubs don't have the ability to plan like AFL clubs or replace players.

As for culture, club culture and winning culture are quite separate. You're right in that culture is built over a longer period, but I am a believer that a winning culture is closely related to confidence. A winning culture means clubs approach matches/seasons aiming and expecting to win and not accepting less, this can be developed a lot faster than 'club culture' that incorporates many more factors than simply winning/losing.

Improving from one season to another is not going ".......from hopeless to unbeatable at the flick of a switch......." And frankly unbeatable teams are a myth.

On field success is part of and a consequence of strong club culture. Sir Alex Ferguson said the first matters to attend to before any sporting organisation can gain respect over the long term is getting the off-field side in order which involves removing "selfishness, factionalism and clique-ishness" and having strong values. It requires thoughtful planning and unity of purpose. Shared ownership of problems and shared responsibility for solutions. Throughout a club.

Success is the consequence of planning, hard preparatory work (off and on field), skill development, and the cultivation of self belief and team spirit. They are the sorts of things that bring sustained success and they apply as much to park sport as they do to professional sport. Sustained success does not occur ".....at the flick of a switch"

Round 6:
Old Geelong vs BT - OG by 10 goals
Yarra Valley vs Whitefriars - Friars in a close one
Ormond v Old Mentone - OAFC easy winners
St Marys vs Prahran Assumption - Not sure with this one, PA just
Kew vs NOBS - Bears by 5 goals

Good luck to all!
Round 6 tips:
OG over BT by 50
Whitefriars over YV by 3 goals
Ormond over OM by 60
St Mary's v PA - game of the round. Despite their ladder position PA are a string team and this one will go down to the wire.. St Mary's by a kick
Kew v NOBS - Bears by 4 goals

Therry went from a mediocre side to consecutive promotions.

A couple of 80+ goal kicking Bannisters returning and another couple of ex-VFL Egglestones probably had something to do with it too!

However, according to their coach, Therry were flat as a tack in D2 for a few years until those players returned and that, combined with a concerted effort from past players and parents, got the place bubbling again, success in D2 begat success in D1 and it looks like they will find their level this year as a solid Premier C outfit.

There is no hard and fast formula (otherwise everyone would be successful). It often comes down to hard work, astute recruiting, and if the planets align, then Division clubs can shoot up into the Premier tiers pretty quickly.

You just need to make sure it isn't a quick fix and you plan for the following 3-5 years, as it won't always work out perfectly as planned.

Just because you have a talented young list doesn't means it will simply happen.

Improving from one season to another is not going ".......from hopeless to unbeatable at the flick of a switch......." And frankly unbeatable teams are a myth.

On field success is part of and a consequence of strong club culture. Sir Alex Ferguson said the first matters to attend to before any sporting organisation can gain respect over the long term is getting the off-field side in order which involves removing "selfishness, factionalism and clique-ishness" and having strong values. It requires thoughtful planning and unity of purpose. Shared ownership of problems and shared responsibility for solutions. Throughout a club.

Success is the consequence of planning, hard preparatory work (off and on field), skill development, and the cultivation of self belief and team spirit. They are the sorts of things that bring sustained success and they apply as much to park sport as they do to professional sport. Sustained success does not occur ".....at the flick of a switch"
Does it ever get tough knowing everything about everything? Life must be so simple.

Dropped in to the Gunn today and watched an injury hampered Ormond run all over Om's. At the last break it was not over but a 6 goal to none last sealed it. Never saw the Reserves but I heard Mentonians never scored, that's a worry.

Some big thumpings handed out today. Old Geelong looking red hot (i dont care who the opposition was, a near 200 point win is impressive) and Ormond/Kew consistently getting easy wins. SMS getting up over Prahran. SMS held a 30 point lead for most of the match, although Prahran had a couple of cracks and got within 10 points at the death. Chipperfield, Dykes and Mummy's Boy Jones (who must have had a fair few weetbix with his breastmilk) very impressive. Still an obvious gulf between Ormond/Kew and OG/SMS and I dont think thats going to change. Ill go on record right now for a Ormond/Kew GF, why not!

Dropped in to the Gunn today and watched an injury hampered Ormond run all over Om's. At the last break it was not over but a 6 goal to none last sealed it. Never saw the Reserves but I heard Mentonians never scored, that's a worry.

Must have been a ripper last term. Had a look at the scores at three quarter time and nothing in it.

Some big thumpings handed out today. Old Geelong looking red hot (i dont care who the opposition was, a near 200 point win is impressive) and Ormond/Kew consistently getting easy wins. SMS getting up over Prahran. SMS held a 30 point lead for most of the match, although Prahran had a couple of cracks and got within 10 points at the death. Chipperfield, Dykes and Mummy's Boy Jones (who must have had a fair few weetbix with his breastmilk) very impressive. Still an obvious gulf between Ormond/Kew and OG/SMS and I dont think thats going to change. Ill go on record right now for a Ormond/Kew GF, why not!
Saw the SMS v Prahran game too Bob. SMS jumped the Two Blues but the Two Blues could have been in front by half time with a little steadiness in front of goal as they were well on top in the second quarter I thought. Only ten points in it in favour of SMS in the end. The Two Blues will cause some headaches before the season is over. They really have a crack.

Any idea what went on with number 11 and the umps a quarter time? A team mate had to push him toward the huddle.

I've heard good reports about Kew too. OGGS starting to look menacing as well. A long way to go though.

The dimmies at SMS were great.:thumbsu:

What's worse, yarra valley or the ground they play on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's worse, yarra valley or the ground they play on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ground is shite....but frankly.....

I recognised at least 12 maybe 14 players from last years senior 22 today, but they all played totally without spirit or confidence.

Will be a very long year for the Bushrangers if they keep that up.

Not sure about Yarra valley but I know for sure that whitefriars has an absolute shithole of ground. It bogs up massively and don't even try to get a park.

I know for sure you haven't been to Friar Park since it was dug up and re-sown in 2009, and sanded again in 2013. We don't get any bogging anymore and it's one of the better decks in the Division.

Can't say the parking has improved....

Not sure about Yarra valley but I know for sure that whitefriars has an absolute shithole of ground. It bogs up massively and don't even try to get a park.
This has to take the cake as the dumbest post this year (although richo has had a few) The Friars surface is outstanding, their biggest problem is the price of the beer, but its at least CUB.

This has to take the cake as the dumbest post this year (although richo has had a few) The Friars surface is outstanding, their biggest problem is the price of the beer, but its at least CUB.

Yup - the whole thread is now dumber for having read that post from bundles. Friar Park surface is bloody awesome.....now.

I also concur with the great man Bedford re: beer pricing in The Dungeon. Thursday selection was a rather expensive exercise when the 6 coaches started shouting rounds and we obviously went full circle until everyone was covered. Driving home was always a cautious undertaking.

Nine months on, my liver and bank balance have finally recovered (due to the Lions being basically a dry footy club, save for one or two post match froffs only).

Yup - the whole thread is now dumber for having read that post from bundles. Friar Park surface is bloody awesome.....now.

I also concur with the great man Bedford re: beer pricing in The Dungeon. Thursday selection was a rather expensive exercise when the 6 coaches started shouting rounds and we obviously went full circle until everyone was covered. Driving home was always a cautious undertaking.

Nine months on, my liver and bank balance have finally recovered (due to the Lions being basically a dry footy club, save for one or two post match froffs only).
Fair enough but it was so bad for so long that they deserve to cop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back