D2 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Eltham may have a fair say in how things go at the pointy end of the year. Have picked up a few and started well Port-man! Long, long way to go me thinks!

Chump

Since the Vafa website won't be ready until tomorrow... What were the scores around the grounds?

RC lost to Parade by 10 points in the seniors. Won by 6 goals in the reserves.

Big Dubya - Hoes had two strong wins over Sth Melb today at Hoe Park. Good turn out from other visitors for a few cold ones afterwards too.

Chump

I think Eltham may have a fair say in how things go at the pointy end of the year. Have picked up a few and started well Port-man! Long, long way to go me thinks!

Chump
Big Dubya - Hoes had two strong wins over Sth Melb today at Hoe Park. Good turn out from other visitors for a few cold ones afterwards too.

Chump
Indeed Chump. Eltham have shown signs of coming of age. Maybe this year. Loom as biggest threat to Ivanhoe. Hoes will go far this year. That said, Districts loom as the section "witches-hats" at the moment. A win is a win. St Johns also in the mix but it think it's a race of two again this season.

2/5 great start.

This week.
Seniors
Monash
vs Mhsob- This game could tell us a lot about where both these sides are at
Eltham vs Elsternwick- Home ground advantage in what will be match of the round
Parade vs Richmond- Boundys Hamstring obviously giving him a hard time
Ivanhoe vs South- Could be a long year for South
St Johns vs Northern- St Johns too strong at home

Twos
Monash
vs Mhsob- Both twos teams impressive last week, home team to get it done
Eltham vs Elsternwick- Elsternwick lacking depth in the twos
Parade vs Richmond- Parades top 5 too good
Ivanhoe vs South- Could be a long year for South
St Johns vs Northern- St Johns twos whacked last week.

5/5 this week, much happier. 7/10 so far.

This week
Seniors
Elsternwick
vs Northern Blues- Elsty to bounce back
Ivanhoe vs Eltham- first big test for Eltham after two home games. Still tipping them
Richmond vs Monash
MHSOB vs Parade- Boundy too good
St Johns vs South- this could get ugly

Reserves
Elsternwick vs Northern Blues- Elsty lack depth
Ivanhoe vs Eltham- Hoes looking like a GF side in the twos
Richmond vs Monash
MHSOB
vs Parade- Good depth at the unicorns
St Johns vs South- this could get ugly

Round 3 selections.
Eltham are establishing a pattern here. 22 goals in both games so far. Total points144 & 143. Their opposition both kicked 64 points. If this trend continues their games might become dull. Ivanhoe are averaging 22 goals per game. Anzac day round will be a beauty!
Statistically, Ivanhoe v Old Eltham looms as a corker. I'm tipping Ivanhoe will exceed the 64 point barrier Saturday. Eltham might kick 22 goals.(Someone give me odds?)

Elsternwick v Northern Blues. Stung from the drubbing out at Research, the wickers will provide their visitors a warm welcome for their first ever visit to Graham Holmes oval with a tough game and come out on top.
Ivanhoe v Eltham. Clash of the round ( season?).
Richmond Centrals v Monash Gryphons. Time for the boys from Kevin Bartlett oval to live up to Cosmo21's hyperbole.
MHSOB v Old Paradians. The quiet achievers will go about the business again this week. Unicorns are far from witches hats.
St Johns OC v South Melbourne Districts. I promise i won't mention witches hats again. Oh, I just did. Bloods' 2015 fixture is a brute!

Enjoy the weekend footy and let's not forget those who gave their lives to allow us the freedoms we enjoy today.

Last edited:
Cosmo. You ARE a newbie, aren't you? St Marys merged with Salesian back then. Got out of D4 Gaol by that means. In 2005 they played a loosing grand final in D4. In 2006, didn't win a game in D3! Go and do some digging of games between Elsternwick and Salesian in the mid 90's. A bit too tough for you I reckon.;)

Haha the old I'm tougher than you line, really expected a little more from you sidewinder.... Newbie to what?

Elsternwick v Northern Blues but only just, the talk around a poor pre-season maybe correct still have some prime movers to come in
Ivanhoe v Eltham not sold on Eltham but Ivanhoe look the real deal and have depth - looks like I'm eating my words there
Richmond Centrals v Monash Gryphons. Centrals win
MHSOB v Old Paradians could get to 3 figures
St Johns OC v South Melbourne Districts. will get to 3 figures

Northern blues r notoriously bad starters to the season but have won grannies from 6th and last year weren't in the best two teams but won the granny anyway. Wouldn't count them out to quickly

5/5 last week. The way Ivanhoe dismantled Richmond was really the only surprise for me.

This week :
Eltham over Elsternwick
MHSOB to chalk up their first win over Monash
Parade get the first look at the two clubs coming up and will beat Richmond
Ivanhoe to comfortably beat Sth
St Johns to leave the Blues winless
4/5 last week 9/10 total.
This week -
Eltham over Ivanhoe in the match of the round.
Parade to make it 3 on the trot over MHSOB
Richmond to chalk up their first win for the year over the Gryphons
St Johns to compile Sth Melbourne's misery with a comfortable win
Northern Blues to open their account in a thriller over the Wicks

Indeed Chump. Eltham have shown signs of coming of age. Maybe this year. Loom as biggest threat to Ivanhoe. Hoes will go far this year. That said, Districts loom as the section "witches-hats" at the moment. A win is a win. St Johns also in the mix but it think it's a race of two again this season.

Would love to share your opinion on this one as it would position my mob in a good place, but alas I think it is way to early to discount several other teams. It will be very even across the top 4-5 me thinks. Eltham, NB, Parade and Jocs look like they will all be pretty even.

Chump.

Northern blues r notoriously bad starters to the season but have won grannies from 6th and last year weren't in the best two teams but won the granny anyway. Wouldn't count them out to quickly

NB started last year 3-1 that's not a "bad" start at all - and then racking the final 4 teams re best teams it was (NB clearly in the best two):

Animals
NB
daylight.............
AQ
daylight............
RC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NB started last year 3-1 that's not a "bad" start at all - and then racking the final 4 teams re best teams it was (NB clearly in the best two):

Animals
NB
daylight.............
AQ
daylight............
RC

That 3-1 included falling over the line against Eley Park who ended up 3rd last. Also the bloods were a good team last year/this year. i would of had them as a better team than the nb except when the whips were cracking

That 3-1 included falling over the line against Eley Park who ended up 3rd last. Also the bloods were a good team last year/this year. i would of had them as a better team than the nb except when the whips were cracking

I'm not sure how 6 - 2, sitting on top of the ladder and % of 161.54 is a slow start but believe whatever you need to.....

Seniors
Elsternwick vs Northern Blues- The Blues to get their first D2 win on the board and win by 22 points.
Ivanhoe vs Eltham- match of the round and massive test for my mob as the Turtles in good form and always have a great battle with us. Will give a good indication of how each side is traveling. Should be a classic - Hoes 1 point in a thriller.
Richmond vs Monash - The Snakes will be too strong in this one at home and win by 35 points.
MHSOB vs Parade- Boundy looks dangerous early in the year and even though it's at home for the Unicorns, it's OP's for me by 20 points.
St Johns vs South- The Joc's are a very good side and sth struggling a bit early in the year. Big win for the Joc's by 80+

Reserves
Elsternwick vs Northern Blues- Blues to kick off the day with a win for their club - 33 points.
Ivanhoe vs Eltham- Replay of last years elimination final in D2 reserves and should be a cracker. Hoes to win - 17 points.
Richmond vs Monash - The Snakes to win this one for me as I see them as a finals team this year. RC by 22 points.
MHSOB vs Parade- flip of the coin this one for me - going with home ground advantage - Unicorns by 3 points.
St Johns vs South - similar to the seniors with the Jocs to win very comfortably i would imagine - Jocs 80+

It's a great day when you can actually play this wonderful game on ANZAC day. I am sure ALL clubs are doing something as part of the day and we wish everyone well with those activities. Lets play in the spirit that pays our respects to those who did so much 100 years ago.
Lest we forget.

For anyone interested our club historian wrote a great article on past Ivanhoe Players that served - thought it worth a share:
http://www.vafa.com.au/latest-news/ivanhoe-premiership-star-amongst-the-first-anzacs/

Good luck on the weekend to all.

Chump.

Last edited:
Been tracking pretty well for the first two rounds, but this week has a couple of tricky games, but gotta be loyal.

Elsternwick vs Northern Blues
Ivanhoe
vs Old Eltham
Richmond vs Monash Gryphons
MHSOB vs Old Paradians - How these two former titans of A Grade have fallen !
St Johns
vs South Melbourne

Nobody picked the Unicorns today. How strange is that?
Elsternwick proved that they have some bite today. Sadly they let the pacey Blues get a head start.Robertson played like Hercules in the third term.
Ivanhoe are the team to beat.
Richmond are a classy unit.
MHSOB wont go down without a fight. Steve Villani just leaves nothing on the field.
St Johns had a good day by all reports. Cracking the ton by half time is not untidy. Mr Thornton is enjoying his new domicile.

Good game at Hoe park. Proud of the way we kept fighting all day and never gave up. Few lapses in concentration is what cost us the most. Credit to Ivanhoe they were the better team on the day and were clean when it counted.
Was an honour to play on ANZAC Day, thanks to Ivanhoe for organising last post etc, and the pizza and music a post match.

3 rounds in and the top 3 is pretty clear. Pretty much everyone else is vying for the forth spot. The depth of the bottom 7 clubs will be crucial.

Good game at Hoe park. Proud of the way we kept fighting all day and never gave up. Few lapses in concentration is what cost us the most. Credit to Ivanhoe they were the better team on the day and were clean when it counted.
Was an honour to play on ANZAC Day, thanks to Ivanhoe for organising last post etc, and the pizza and music a post match.

Agree A-Mac.

The game was still being fiercely contested with 10 minutes to play and you would think on that game we are pretty evenly matched. Was good to get an understanding of where we are at and how we may play in wet conditions against good opposition. Add to that, both teams still have some very important players sitting on the sidelines and as such should continue to improve.

Firstly, thanks for your involvement in the pre-match recognition of ANZAC day. Thought both clubs were very respectful and understanding of the occasion.

Secondly, thanks for the guys hanging back after the game - even though it was a late finish - for a few drinks, best players, raffle, FREE pizza and some music after the game. We are hoping to build a good after match environment for players and supporters alike.

See you later in the year for another battle.

Chump.

Did Sth Melbourne twos forfeit against the Joc's? This would be unfortunate for them so early in the year if numbers were at that level for the districts.

Chump

Remove this Banner Ad

Back