List Mgmt. Dan Richardson Project - 2014 Uncontracted Players

Who should we keep?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

#1 Chris Newman: Contracted until the end of 2014.
#7 Matt Dea: Contracted until the end of 2014.
#11 Jake Batchelor: Contracted until the end of 2014.
#12 David Astbury: Contracted until the end of 2014
#24 Ben Griffiths: Contracted until the end of 2014.
#27 Aaron Edwards: Contracted until the end of 2014.
#28 Jake King: Contracted until the end of 2014 - RETIRED
#32 Brad Helbig: Contracted until the end of 2014.
#33 Kamdyn McIntosh - Contracted until the end of 2014
#34 Liam McBean - Contracted until the end of 2014
#36 Matthew McDonough: - Contracted until the end of 2014
#43 Todd Elton: Contracted until the end of 2014
#44 Matt Arnott: Contracted until the end of 2014.
#45 Brett O'Hanlon: Contracted until the end of 2014.

As it stands this is the current group of players that is coming out of contract at the end of this season. As you can see it's a decent number of players and if it stays this way it could lead to a rather large change to the list.

If you were in charge of the re-signing of these players which guys would you choose to keep?

For mine I'd go with: Dea Batchelor Astbury Griffiths McBean McDonough & Elton. The rest I'd thank for their time and move them on.

So what would you guys do?

I reckon they'll keep McIntosh for one more year. I also think Newman will stay. If Newy retired I'd be a little tempted to keep Helbig, who seems to finally fit and playing the footy I thought he would a few years ago.
Tigs, what do you think as Josh Glen as a replacement for Newman?

I "de-listed" the following:
  • Aaron Edwards - Pretty self explanatory. Wrong side of 30, not a bad player, but shouldn't go on. McBean is the next option forward
  • Chris Newman - Should hang up the boots
  • Matt Dea - I like Dea, but he and Batchelor are too much the same. I think Batchelor is the better player
  • Matt Arnot - He hasn't really improved since he first got to club. A good player, however his ceiling is pretty low imo
  • Brad Helbig - Has had a bad run with injuries. Couldn't get a look in when he was performing well at VFL level so probably gone. Could be an okay pickup at another club
O'Hanlon is probably goes, but I think has some nice tools.

McIntosh & Elton stay only because they are 2nd and 3rd year players respectively. Both would want to extract fingers next year. First on the chopping block in 2015 unless they improve.

The above only leaves us with 3/4 National Draft picks (Miles & Thomas will be promoted - Darrou might be)

I "de-listed" the following:
  • Aaron Edwards - Pretty self explanatory. Wrong side of 30, not a bad player, but shouldn't go on. McBean is the next option forward
  • Chris Newman - Should hang up the boots
  • Matt Dea - I like Dea, but he and Batchelor are too much the same. I think Batchelor is the better player
  • Matt Arnot - He hasn't really improved since he first got to club. A good player, however his ceiling is pretty low imo
  • Brad Helbig - Has had a bad run with injuries. Couldn't get a look in when he was performing well at VFL level so probably gone. Could be an okay pickup at another club
O'Hanlon is probably goes, but I think has some nice tools.

McIntosh & Elton stay only because they are 2nd and 3rd year players respectively. Both would want to extract fingers next year. First on the chopping block in 2015 unless they improve.

The above only leaves us with 3/4 National Draft picks (Miles & Thomas will be promoted - Darrou might be)
Based on what exactly?

#1 Chris Newman: Contracted until the end of 2014.
#7 Matt Dea: Contracted until the end of 2014.
#11 Jake Batchelor: Contracted until the end of 2014.
#12 David Astbury: Contracted until the end of 2014
#24 Ben Griffiths: Contracted until the end of 2014.
#33 Kamdyn McIntosh - Contracted until the end of 2014
#34 Liam McBean - Contracted until the end of 2014
#36 Matthew McDonough: - Contracted until the end of 2014
#43 Todd Elton: Contracted until the end of 2014

As it stands this is the current group of players that is coming out of contract at the end of this season. As you can see it's a decent number of players and if it stays this way it could lead to a rather large change to the list.

If you were in charge of the re-signing of these players which guys would you choose to keep?

For mine I'd go with: Dea Batchelor Astbury Griffiths McBean McDonough & Elton. The rest I'd thank for their time and move them on.

So what would you guys do?
Delist A. Edwards, M. Arnott and O'Hanlon, and King retires so 4 spots minimum. Put Dea and Helbig up on the trade table and see if we could get anything decent from them, if not, give them a one year deal each as a last chance. The rest, re-sign immediately please.

Keep newy, dea, Griff, astbury, mcbean, McIntosh, batch and McDonough. They either provide leadership, have hit form or starting to emerge as good players, or need a little extra time. As for the rest either too old or not gunna make it with us. That frees us 5 spots on the senior list to us during the player exchange/draft period ... 2-3 national, one trade and a rookie spot ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got rid of:

Biscuit has disappointed me both at AFL and VFL level this year.

The players I would keep are Matt Dea, Jake Batchelor, David Astbury, Ben Griffiths, Liam McBean, Matt McDonough, Kamdyn McIntosh and Todd Elton.

These players wouldn't get a new contract:

Jake King - Retired
Chris Newman - Retired (Hopefully, would be cruel to delist him.)
Aaron Edwards - Delisted
Brad Helbig - Delisted
Matt Arnot - Delisted
Brett O'Hanlon - Delisted

This leaves us with 6 places on the senior list to fill.

Helbig, Arnot and O'Hanlon would probably the unluckiest out of the lot to be delisted. If we were lucky maybe some clubs might trade a late draft pick for one of them. Anthony Miles should be a certainty to be upgraded with our 4th round draft pick. (I assume we have to upgrade him at the end of the year) Using our other 3 draft picks would leave us with only 2 spots on the senior list to fill by free agency or by trading for players.

put all unsigned players on the trade table and see what happens there before delisting, we do this anyway so you never know.....

We have 2 x spots on the main list that we didnt use this year - used them as rookie picks. Maybe we she use full complement of main list this year and keep arnot and helbig. I actually think newman, king, edwards, and knights should retire and we keep 2 or 3 of arnot, helbig or o'hanlon for at least 1 more year. Cant believe we signed knights for 3 years - totally unnecessary as we were weren't competing for him. Edwards should have been signed up as a rookie not a main listed senior player. Like knights he was delisted or at least going to b.

I personally don't want to get rid of Helbig. He's started to hit form in VFL and can see him being an eventual replacement for Morris in the next few years. He's a great kick, courage like a tiger and can add to the midfield rotations. He's taken a little while as he's been gone from a bona fide inside midfielder to a lock down defender, but finally he's playing good football. He has too much potential for us too quickly give up.

I personally don't want to get rid of Helbig. He's started to hit form in VFL and can see him being an eventual replacement for Morris in the next few years. He's a great kick, courage like a tiger and can add to the midfield rotations. He's taken a little while as he's been gone from a bona fide inside midfielder to a lock down defender, but finally he's playing good football. He has too much potential for us too quickly give up.
i very much disagree here! i have seen each VFL game at Punt Rd this year and each time i have seen him play he's kicked across the backline (def 50 arc) to a 2 on 1 and turned the ball over costing us a Goal, i can't count how many times he's done this...... i'd think he'll be delisted at the end of the year. i am actually baffled that T.Clarke has said in "The VFL report" that he's been playing well when he's been turning the ball over in the same way each week.

i very much disagree here! i have seen each VFL game at Punt Rd this year and each time i have seen him play he's kicked across the backline (def 50 arc) to a 2 on 1 and turned the ball over costing us a Goal, i can't count how many times he's done this...... i'd think he'll be delisted at the end of the year. i am actually baffled that T.Clarke has said in "The VFL report" that he's been playing well when he's been turning the ball over in the same way each week.
It's his decision making that let's him down. Reports the last 2 weeks have said he's improved dramatically in this regard.

Back