Toast Daniel Cross retiring

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute joke that Roos isn't giving him another year. 39 touches on the weekend. **** Melbourne.
Bit harsh when he's only at our club because the Dogs did the same thing to him.

Its a mistake, but the exact same one you made.

I just feel sorry for Crossy. Was already my favourite player at the club.

Bit harsh when he's only at our club because the Dogs did the same thing to him.

the natural argument would be it wasn't a mistake for us as we had kids coming through and a very similar player/influence who kept his spot on the list. Do Melbourne have such a player/influence and the list position to edge out workers like him?

the natural argument would be it wasn't a mistake for us as we had kids coming through and a very similar player/influence who kept his spot on the list. Do Melbourne have such a player/influence and the list position to edge out workers like him?

That's the argument, it's proven to be correct for the Bulldogs. I doubt it will be the same for Melbourne, quite a few players lacking in ticker.

We'll see how they go next year though

Glad that he got to play a couple more seasons at the highest level, just wish it could have been with the dogs.

Hope he returns to the kennel in some capacity one day, after his stint as an assistant at Melbourne.

Fitness role perhaps?

Absolute joke that Roos isn't giving him another year. 39 touches on the weekend. **** Melbourne.

Umm the Bulldogs dumped him like a piece of meat when he had plenty of good footy left and had served them brilliantly for over a decade..... while Melbourne gave him the opportunity to extend his career.

Might wanna direct all that anger at your own club, champ.

Umm the Bulldogs dumped him like a piece of meat when he had plenty of good footy left and had served them brilliantly for over a decade..... while Melbourne gave him the opportunity to extend his career.

Where did I say I was happy we got rid of him? I wanted to keep him.

With Petrecca doing his acl it made sense for them to keep him on even as a back up.

How about you get the * off our board, champ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might wanna champ posters on your own board, chump.

Disappointed for Crossy, he's got more to give and if any club could use his services for a few more years, it's Melbourne. I'd be cutting 15-20 other players from that list before him.

Regardless, he's a champion in every sense of the word. Was one of our best when we were challenging for a flag, and has obviously made a big impression on the next generation at two clubs.

Wishing him luck in his post-footy endeavours. Hopefully one day we'll see him back at Whitten Oval in some capacity.

I never even thought of buying a membership for another club because of a player, but I'm glad I did last year for Crossy. It was good to see him when I visited Melbourne in Feb of last year. I bought my Demons membership that afternoon at training.

His Western Bulldogs picture badge will always be on my scarf along with Chris Grant's. A genuinely fantastic bloke that I will always remember. Always.

72b1574f839c031861223925477fd84b879492f_zpsfst1qgd7.jpg

Viney & Brayshaw?
Cross moved to the backline recently to give them a go together.

Will always think of him as a Bulldog, absolute beast at the contest.

It's heartbreaking that a player and character of such a high quality in Daniel Cross has never been rewarded with a premiership. All the blood, sweat and tears of a long and respected AFL career with only a single club best and fairest to show for it. Absolute champion footballer and deserves a big win this week. Almost tempted to go just to cheer him off for the last time.

100% agree most Doggies supporters thought he was finished and were happy for him to RETIRE but not to go to the Dees. As it turned out he has been fantastic for them and has gone out with a fulfilled career. Roos took a chance on him and was given back in spades. Crossy got two years that he never would have got at the Dogs, our rebuild had him out of the picture. I do think he was battling with us in his last year, the change of scenery probably gave him a new challenge.
A true warrior.

Where did I say I was happy we got rid of him? I wanted to keep him.

With Petrecca doing his acl it made sense for them to keep him on even as a back up.

How about you get the **** off our board, champ.
Other than the condescending Champ reference. He is dead right. Most posters here thought his time was up so we have no right to have a go at Roos or the Demons. Crossy got two years extra because the Dees gave him an opportunity, he probably wouldn't have been picked up by another club. So i don't think we have any right to comment on Melbournes decision making process.

Other than the condescending Champ reference. He is dead right. Most posters here thought his time was up so we have no right to have a go at Roos or the Demons. Crossy got two years extra because the Dees gave him an opportunity, he probably wouldn't have been picked up by another club. So i don't think we have any right to comment on Melbournes decision making process.

Cross just had a 39 touch game against the minor premiers and is one of the players that consistently crack in. Cross was also getting pushed out of the side by players like Libba, Wallis & Stevens.

It's not a mistake on our part. He wasn't best 22 when we told him he was not required and that being said his output also dropped in his final year. Handy depth but not best 22.

Cross just had a 39 touch game against the minor premiers and is one of the players that consistently crack in. Cross was also getting pushed out of the side by players like Libba, Wallis & Stevens.
To be fair to Melbourne's decision, he really has lost some pace and was never overly quick during his time with us. Watching some games recently he really was struggling to stay accountable with quicker opponents. Never gives up, but physical limitations are to be expected at his age.

Uneducated opposition supporters trying the compare the situations is annoying. We had a fair few guys at a similar age in Murphy, Boyd, Morris, Gia etc so in order to give our promising your players the games they needed while also having a good amount of experience around, we had to move Crossy on. Made perfect sense for the Dogs at the time and has shown to be the right decision. Daniel is a guy that should be playing AFL every week and he would have had to play far too much VFL for us with our list compared to a team like Melbourne.

It seems a dumb decision because Melbourne still don't have a huge amount of 30 year old + great leaders to help their kids and they also don't have 22 players you could absolutely say should be playing AFL every week over Crossy.

Now piss off back to your own boards you uneducated trolls.

Also, thank you for your service Crossy, fantastic player, bloke and clubman who is always welcome back at his home, the Kennel. Would love him at some kind of fitness / sports science / coaching / VFL role if he wasn't interested in staying at Melbourne. Would love to see him running around for Footscray next year if he still wanted to play footy. We may lose an experienced guy in Prismall, Russell, Goodes etc if they get better offers elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back