Daniel Flynn

Remove this Banner Ad

im a little torn on this one. i fully understand the homesickness, fair enough he misses his family, friends and home, but to go home for christmas and just not come back is an a grade campaigner move and probably says alot about his true character. as much as i see the potential in what he could be and i want it to succeed, part of me thinks its time to move on from this experiment and no longer waste time / resources on what is more than likely a lost cause.

wish we knew earlier so we could have targeted mason cox a lot harder.

Yep if we are going to drag someone away from a small village of maybe a couple of dozen people and near a town of only 650-700 you need to put a lot of support around them. Next Irish kid we go after lets make sure he comes from a place of at least 300,000 people.

that doesnt make much sense either. It doesnt matter where they are from, each mentality is different. I'm from a smaller place than Flynn, but I would absolutely love to play AFL and would relish the chance. I'm just not good enough, like the vast majority of people calling him weak or a pussy or giving out about wasting resources on him. He isnt the first player to fail, and certainly wont be the last, whether he is from Ireland or Australia. It just wasnt for him. It seems his family is the biggest draw, and if a player is willing to give up on a professional footy career to stay with his family, then I'm not going to judge him or call him a sook. It makes him braver in my opinion, knowing what he is giving up to do what he actually wants. Its a shame it didnt work out for him in Port, but it seems the club did everything they could to accommodate him and give him the time to make his decisions. I cant see him going back, and I cant see how the club would really want him back if they know he is so doubtful over this and in all probability, it would happen again.

So did Matt Rendell have it right when with the Crows when he said don't recruit the Irish unless one parent is Australian?*

And yes that is designed to be a bit confrontational. But for my own amusement I've read the pages from the past few days imagining how this thread would have read if it had been one of our Indigenous players. More supportive? Less supportive? Just slightly altered to reflect the geography?

* This did not happen

2nd year in a Row. Does not look great for you guys

We are on a learning curve when it comes to Cat. B rookies.

It's a community project of a special kind.

We'll get there. And when we do ... eat our dust.

im a little torn on this one. i fully understand the homesickness, fair enough he misses his family, friends and home, but to go home for christmas and just not come back is an a grade campaigner move and probably says alot about his true character. as much as i see the potential in what he could be and i want it to succeed, part of me thinks its time to move on from this experiment and no longer waste time / resources on what is more than likely a lost cause.

wish we knew earlier so we could have targeted mason cox a lot harder.
I suppose to be fair, we don't know the full details so a bit harsh to judge on the scant info we have at this stage. Hope he does return, was really looking forward to watching him develop this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure there is really any more the club could do????

Yeah. What more could we do for Nick Stevens? The lure of home is just too strong for some, whether they're from Melbourne or County Kildare.

farkin soft sook AY
u_wot_in8r_by_jorjeade-d72oxfy.jpg

Laughed my ass off at the Facebook page comments.
Hahaha "whatever"

In b4 whatever is a Port board meme

In b4 someone responds to this post with whatever

I get the feeling from what's been written in articles from the Kildare locals and on social media that they've almost seemed as thought they've been trying to get him back to play in their local Gaelic team pretty much since he came down here. I can't help but think his old coach and players had a large part in luring him back for their own selfish desires.

As for the collingwood flog above, I'm sure it's hard to stay entertained when you're team is due for 3 to 4 years of sub par performances and you signed your only forward to a long term deal only to now realise he's useless. Good luck with this year's exodus.

I get the feeling from what's been written in articles from the Kildare locals and on social media that they've almost seemed as thought they've been trying to get him back to play in their local Gaelic team pretty much since he came down here. I can't help but think his old coach and players had a large part in luring him back for their own selfish desires.

There was a similar article last year about him returning to Gaelic football and never coming back to AFL.
The article actually seemed a bit of a cheeky up yours AFL piece.

The actual Irish Independent article seems to of vanished from the net, I remember seeing it though in the first thread about him leaving.
However AFL.com.au did repeat some of the quotes from it
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-04/flynn-wont-return
speaking to the Irish Independent newspaper, Kildare boss Jason Ryan said Flynn wanted to play Gaelic football and that he planned to study in Ireland
"He's an incredibly talented kid with a brilliant attitude, so Port Adelaide's loss will be Kildare's gain.
"He's given himself a great opportunity out there, he gave it time and effort and worked hard.
"The right decision for him, he feels at this moment, is to be in Kildare.
"He's a great guy, he'll go back to college and study and get good qualifications and move on from there."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back