Retired Daniel Rich #1 (2008-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 14 vs Fremantle

The Lions, who twice led by 15 points, have only a handful of real quality field kicks - notably Black, Rich and McGrath - and, not surprisingly, many of their best moments came when those players were in the thick of it. Black had a simply superb first half, amassing 22 possessions, while Rich's 50-metre goal in the second term, after twisting himself inside-out off only a couple of steps, was sublime.

rich80.jpg

Link

Brisbane kicked four of the match's opening five goals, with WA youngster Daniel Rich's long bomb the most disappointing of the Lions' early majors from the home side's point of view.

Hinkley's lack of awareness was to blame, with the Docker inexplicably allowing left-footer Rich the space to wheel onto his preferred side and shoot from 55m.

Exactly the sort of scoreboard impact we need from Richy. He's gotta take them on when he's in range and no better option presents.

His 2nd term goal was the better for me, analysed his options, didn't want to shoot for goal but pinned his ears back, steadied and slotted it through.

Maybe he heard Tommy's quotes the other day about midfielders stepping up... :p Did notice a couple of slaps on backs and appreciation between the two last night which indicates it wasn't taken too seriously.

Daniel Rich's manager's website

TOUGH Brisbane midfielder Daniel Rich has defied the odds to bravely continue playing as the struggling Lions injury toll climbed alarmingly. Rich, 21 and into his third AFL season, has been nursing severe soreness in his shin and wearing a protective moon boot between matches and training. Rich is normally a guaranteed starting centre-square play-maker and crucial first go-to-player in-and-under ruckman Matthew Leuenberger, but the gutsy follower has been limited to more time on a wing and half-forward.

Rich's training is understood to have been severely restricted for at least the past month and if the injury escalates the classy midfielder with the booming left-foot kick, could be forced to the sidelines for a full recovery. It is not clear how long his projected recovery period will be if he forced into a recuperation spell. It is understood that the injury has flared from a slight crack or break that Rich had in the same spot in his leg three years ago.

rich82.jpg

Players harden up when they play through niggling injuries. As long as it doesn't make the injury worse, then he'll be better for the experience.

I like that Rich has chosen to play through this injury.

For me it is a stronger indication that any newspaper headline that he will be here next year.

As a future leader of the club (whether he be made Captain down the track or not) it is this type of team first attitude that will take the club back to the finals sooner rather than later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There has to be a common denominator somewhere....just a matter of finding what it is...injuries seem to happen with monotonous regularity unfortunately..

Hopefully Rich spends his time over the next few weeks thinking about his future and sign with the Mighty Lions for a further 3 seasons. If he doesn't want to stay I just want him to make his decision either way so the club can plan.

+1

Agree 100%. Rich would now have plenty of time to think through and hopefully he makes the right choice by staying with the Lions.

Rich run broken
By Michael Whiting
5:06 PM Tue 28 Jun, 2011

DANIEL Rich will miss his first senior match since making his debut in 2009 after the blonde midfielder was diagnosed with a stress reaction in his foot on Tuesday.

Rich has been limited in training for a number of weeks but managed to play through - until Saturday night's loss to Fremantle, after which he pulled up sore.

The 21-year-old has played 59 consecutive matches since making his debut against West Coast in round one, 2009.

rich70.jpg

Link to article

THE Western Bulldogs are poised to lodge a complaint with the AFL against Greater Western Sydney over a direct approach to mid-fielder Callan Ward.

Brisbane has been officially or reliably informed that Daniel Rich and Mitch Clark have been made offers by GWS.

rich76.jpg

I may be clutching at straws, but if GWS have genuinely recently offered $1m/year for Ward then I couldn't imagine Rich has already signed. They've got plenty to spend, but not that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back