WilliamPowell

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2003
Over there somewhere!
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Did anyone hear Danny on Sport 927 this morning between 7.30 and 8.00pm. BTW he was also on White Line Fever on Monday night.

On both shows he was asked by callers about Richmond supporters and their bagging.

This morning and MOnday night he said that he thinks our supporters are passionate and our members are the best in the competition. On Monday night he made the comment that if people pay their money for their memberships that they are entitled to question the club and everyone involved in the Club (bag if you like).

Just thought it was an interesting comment especially considering that it is what alot of people have been saying over the last few month. And at least he was honest enough to answer it.

Yep, i heard bits of that on Foxtel.

Shame he's such a nice bloke, Danny, otherwise i wouldn't feel so rotten bagging him all the time. Hope he has a great season for his sake and ours - but in reality i'd say he's days were numbered.

Originally posted by froars
Yep, i heard bits of that on Foxtel.

Shame he's such a nice bloke, Danny, otherwise i wouldn't feel so rotten bagging him all the time. Hope he has a great season for his sake and ours - but in reality i'd say he's days were numbered.

To be fair to Danny, we must remember that the side has been decimated by injury over the last 2 years. The previous year we had a good run and played finals.

Hopefully this year we will have a better run with injuries and with our improved list, we can really (and fairly) assess whether Danny can coach or not.

Originally posted by Tigerrific
To be fair to Danny, we must remember that the side has been decimated by injury over the last 2 years. The previous year we had a good run and played finals.

Hopefully this year we will have a better run with injuries and with our improved list, we can really (and fairly) assess whether Danny can coach or not.

ahhhh fair go with the injury excuse, its a lame excuse used by loser clubs when things arent going well.

every club has injuries and to suggest we have been decimated in recent years is a total cop out.

lets have alook at last years injuries shall we??

Long term injured

Gaspar 11 matches missed played rounds 1 -11
Campbell 13 matches missed *stupidly carried on like a pork cop to injury himself the second time*
Ottens 10 missed rounds 1 -10 (when we were winning mind you)
Blumfield missed 11 matches (has had hardly any input when playing anyway)

Short term injured

Stafford 3 matches missed out of 22
Richardson missed 2 matches out of 22
Johnson missed 2 matches out of 22
Coughlan missed 1 match out of 22
Chaffey missed 1 match round 1 out of 22
Kraka missed 4 matches rounds 1 -4 out of 22 (we won 3 of our first 4)

Not injured

Bowden played all season
A Kellaway played all season
Rodan played all season
Tivendale played all season
Newman played all season

so out of our top 15 players who generally get a game every week we had 4 long term injured players

Its also to note that since we lost Gaspar the team basically couldnt cope, 1 key player injured and our team folds like a pack of cards

injuries isnt the problem, depth of talent is, it has been the whole time and the coaches, assistant coaches were the ones responsible for picking up the talent, the whole recruitment team are responsible. Thats why we are where we are, we cant cope with losing 3 of our better players throughout a year thats a real blight on the club and the coaches who ultimately pick the team.

Originally posted by Coach Required
ahhhh fair go with the injury excuse, its a lame excuse used by loser clubs when things arent going well.

every club has injuries and to suggest we have been decimated in recent years is a total cop out.

lets have alook at last years injuries shall we??

Long term injured

Gaspar 11 matches missed played rounds 1 -11
Campbell 13 matches missed *stupidly carried on like a pork cop to injury himself the second time*
Ottens 10 missed rounds 1 -10 (when we were winning mind you)
Blumfield missed 11 matches (has had hardly any input when playing anyway)

Short term injured

Stafford 3 matches missed out of 22
Richardson missed 2 matches out of 22
Johnson missed 2 matches out of 22
Coughlan missed 1 match out of 22
Chaffey missed 1 match round 1 out of 22
Kraka missed 4 matches rounds 1 -4 out of 22 (we won 3 of our first 4)

Not injured

Bowden played all season
A Kellaway played all season
Rodan played all season
Tivendale played all season
Newman played all season

so out of our top 15 players who generally get a game every week we had 4 long term injured players

Its also to note that since we lost Gaspar the team basically couldnt cope, 1 key player injured and our team folds like a pack of cards

injuries isnt the problem, depth of talent is, it has been the whole time and the coaches, assistant coaches were the ones responsible for picking up the talent, the whole recruitment team are responsible. Thats why we are where we are, we cant cope with losing 3 of our better players throughout a year thats a real blight on the club and the coaches who ultimately pick the team.

I agree with you Coach that a lack of depth has been our major problem, that is why the injuries to key players has hit us so hard.(Hopefully with the new faces at the club this problem has been partially rectified).
We lost 3 of our key players to long term injuries and if the same quality of player is missing from any club, they would be badly affected too.
If you took Fletcher, Hird and Hille out of Essendon they would struggle and just look at the difference for Collingwood losing Rocca in the Grand Final.

You can say that using injuries as an excuse is a cop out, but you can't deny that losing quality players won't affect any clubs performance.

that sort of response is something Id expect from an absolute boofhead...when assessing the impact of injured players please observe who they were....we missed our captain and vice captain for the 2nd half of the year ...decimating the leadership had a catostrphic effect.....How would Bris/magpies faired had they both lost capt and vice....mabe not bottom out to our extent ...would have not made the GF though

Every team has injuries these days. At the end of the day, all teams are going to be affected by the loss of key players, the sides just have to cover these losses. Our injury situation over the last season however doesn't hide the fact that:

a) we basically have NO depth below our top 15 players, and;
b) Spud is no good as a coach.

I must admit, the list looks a great deal better than last year, but they really do deserve to be lead by a bloke with a clue. It won't stop the supporters getting out there each week, but having Frawley there will not achieve the desired goals (and those goals aren't simply making the 8 for ONE season, then dropping out for the next 6).

Last year, some Doctor from somewhere did a study of injuries suffered by each of the clubs and released an 'Injury Ladder', published in the Age.

Richmond came stone motherless last on his report. The worst affected club in the competition last year.

As to be expected, Collingwood came in on the top of the ladder.

What was surprising was that Port Adelaide finished quite low - about 13 - 14 yet were able to finish the H&A season 2 games clear on top of the ladder.

Also interesting was Geelong which came in at about #4 but finished only one place above us on the ladder; this in spite of a dream run with injuries.

CJH, I too saw that Injury Ladder and you have basically answered the point that I thought that ladder brought out through the interesting points you noted. That is, injuries are taken far too seriously in terms of a teams performance. Every team gets injuries, especially to their play makers because they are the blokes more susceptible to injuries in that they are near the action more often. The way the game is played these days, injuries are going to become more frequent to every team, they just have to be covered/managed.

Along with the sacking of a coach, injuries would probably be one of the main reasons a person changes their footy tip during a week. For those that have done it, (and I for one am a culprit of this), how often has this come back to bite you? I would think most people have done this.

In getting back to the mighty Tiges, I would disagree in saying our poor season last year was due to injuries. With the way they were playing, can anyone truly argue we were worthy of a higher spot on the ladder?

Thanx big time for the link mellow.

Geeez, the guy is totally clueless in all aspects.

Complete verbal re-gurgitation of everything he’s ever heard
at a (losing)footy club throughout his career.
You can really hear how he is used to losing all the time
and Im not joking.
How many clichés can one man have?

Of course he’s going to say he’s with us (the supporters)
What else would he say, “They’re a pak of c***!” – lol.
When asked what type of game plan we should watch for
Spud basically says that Richo is gonna play like Alister Lynch
and Browny is the saviour.
No real answer.
Alas.

What about 2002? How badly were we affected by injuries in that year. We won only 7 games in 2002 didnt we?

How many games was our captain out with injuries in 2002?

Nice guy? Well so what. St.Kilda didnt think he was even good enough to be one of their assistants before Tony Shaw felt sorry for him because he was a nice guy. And look how well the scum did with the Shaw/Frawley combination.

Geischen was a nice guy too. And so was Gary Frangalas. And so was Peter Czerkaski. But I went to the game to watch Peter Wilson every week.

Originally posted by oxx
Thanx big time for the link mellow.

Geeez, the guy is totally clueless in all aspects.

Complete verbal re-gurgitation of everything he’s ever heard
at a (losing)footy club throughout his career.
You can really hear how he is used to losing all the time
and Im not joking.
How many clichés can one man have?

Of course he’s going to say he’s with us (the supporters)
What else would he say, “They’re a pak of c***!” – lol.
When asked what type of game plan we should watch for
Spud basically says that Richo is gonna play like Alister Lynch
and Browny is the saviour.
No real answer.
Alas.

Oxx, Im suprised our saviour of a coach didnt come out and say "we are going to play just like the lions do"

LOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Tigerrific

Finals in 2001? Didn't deserve to be there. Got spanked by Essendon and Brisbane by 70+ points, and beat a hack side called Carlton by 11pts - who were on the wane and have been at the bottom of the pile ever since.

Originally posted by DirtyDogTiger
i look forward to a reply, cairo, discussing everything you know about coaching...you can help him oxxx.

Why Doggg?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back