Expansion Darwin Games - a left field idea

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Yeh I know I will get some negative replies and reactions - particularly from SA team supporters, but here goes.
Take off the blinkers and hear me out

So, we now have the situation (yet again) where the attempt at building support on the Gold Coast and engaging locals is thwarted by the 2 games we play in Darwin, bookmarked either end by a game in Brisbane and in Melbourne. So 5 weeks with no footy up here, nothing in the month of May.

Now I know the Darwin games are tied up in sponsorship etc. But hear me out for an option.

Gather round - extra home games for SA teams - which is unfair on WA, NSW and Qld teams (Vic teams less so as the get lots of games in Melbourne anyway).

My idea - the two back to back games in Darwin should be Adelaide v Gold Coast and Port v Gold Coast.
They become the extra home games for SA teams - not extra Adelaide oval games.
That allows Gold Coast to go back to 11 home games at People First Stadium.

It also means no non-Vic team is given more than 11 home games (as is currently the case with Gather Round for SA teams).
The AFL can still support the game in Darwin.
And it allows Gold Coast locals to get engaged all season long, and there is not a big missing 4/5/6 weeks of footy as has been the case in recent years.
And to repeat -SA teams are back to the pre-gather round situation of 11 home games each at Adelaide oval.

Thoughts?

Yeh I know I will get some negative replies and reactions - particularly from SA team supporters, but here goes.

So, we now have the situation (yet again) where the attempt at building support on the Gold Coast and engaging locals is thwarted by the 2 games we play in Darwin, bookmarked either end by a game in Brisbane and in Melbourne. So 5 weeks with no footy up here, nothing in the month of May.

Now I know the Darwin games are tied up in sponsorship etc. But hear me out for an option.

Gather round - extra home games for SA teams - which is unfair on WA, NSW and Qld teams (Vic teams less so as the get lots of games in Melbourne anyway).

My idea - the two back to back games in Darwin should be Adelaide v Gold Coast and Port v Gold Coast.

It also means no non-Vic team is given more than 11 home games (as is currently the case with Gather Round for SA teams).
And it allows Gold Coast locals to get engaged all season long, and there is not a big missing 4/5/6 weeks of footy as has been the case in recent years.
And to repeat -SA teams are back to the pre-gather round situation of 11 home games each at Adelaide oval.

Thoughts?
You’re on your own on this one Billy.

Best we can hope for is that a smaller Victorian club take up hosting one of our Darwin games as a way to gain an extra home game at PFS.

Thoughts?
So which 2 clubs are selling home games to Gold Coast?

I don’t know what the obsession is with reducing the advantage the SA clubs get over WA, QLD & NSW clubs now.

Why not reduce the advantage the Vic clubs, particularly the big ones, get, over all non-Vic clubs?

Why is SA clubs getting an extra home state game the end of the world?

In just a few years we will be 10-9 split. There’s no reason to fight SA clubs to lose an extra home game while the Pies, Blues, Tigers & Bombers will still be 17-6 at worse.

The ONLY argument for the Vic clubs not travelling is money/economics. Ok I accept that. Gather Round has been an ENORMOUS success financially, so why the heck should the SA clubs lose their “advantage”? As a sport, we are happy with advantages as long as they are financially viable.

As for the thread, wouldn’t the answer just be the same? It’s economically viable for Gold Coast to play B2B NT games, and my impression is that there’s not a massive crying out for that month for a game.

QLD and NSW teams get the opening round games, with the extra bye(so do some big vic teams giving them the biggest advantage, but thats another issue).
SA teams get gather round.
Just need something for WA to even it out, dont need to move SA games to the NT to disadvantage them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strongly disagree, theyve finally got something to help even out the fixture for them, and first thing Victorians want to do is take it away

If that was my intention I’d say get rid of gather round all together.

11 true home games a year is pretty handy. There are inequalities everywhere for both interstate and vic sides.

If that was my intention I’d say get rid of gather round all together.

11 true home games a year is pretty handy. There are inequalities everywhere for both interstate and vic sides.
11 true home games is handy, thats true. Its not as handy as 17+ games with no travel though.
Id take 17+ games of no travel along with 5 or so true home games every single time over 12/13 games of no travel with 10/11 true home games that the interstate clubs get.

11 true home games is handy, thats true. Its not as handy as 17+ games with no travel though.
Id take 17+ games of no travel along with 5 or so true home games every single time over 12/13 games of no travel with 10/11 true home games that the interstate clubs get

They are both big advantages.

That’s what happens when you join a Victorian competition.

So which 2 clubs are selling home games to Gold Coast?

They arent selling their home games.

The games are additional games counter the extra home game Gather Round provided.

Its a balance against the whole cometition giving the two SA clubs an extra home game.

But you know thais.

However if Crows play Port in Adelaide in Gather Round then no need to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back